weekly pjm1's TP52 in 2016 - week 31 Fauna

Both decent shots for me, Paul. Second is technically fine from what I can see but is a tad too boring and doesn't feel dynamic enough (if the attacker was facing head on it would have been much better I think but as you say no control over that).

First one is a belter though. Facial expression and muscle definition just screams effort and aggressiveness (that's a word, right?). Now that is what I'd went in a shot like this, speaking as a former open-side flanker ;)

Hi Paul.
Vast - From my perspective the lighting on R2D2 is what doesn't work.
The obvious light source in teh shot is the doorway (and there are associated shadows), so the fact that the dark side of R2D2 is not more obviously in shadow jars slightly.
Just my opinion. I do love the way you explain how you've taken your shots so that those of us without lighting experience can begin to understand.

I have to say I hate rugby and I mean really hate it so I am biased straight away but never the less well done for trying some and I use the term loosely, sport photography, not something I have ever tried both pics are well caught though BGs are an obvious problem, so out of the two I think the second one works well for the theme title

Hi Paul. Blooming good shots as far as I'm concerned ... and first time out as well. Wonder if it helps being a player ... anticipating the tackle maybe. With the expression on the player's face in the first, that one would have been great for Effort but definitely the second is the one for Rough - conveys the theme excellently. :clap:

Both decent shots for me, Paul. Second is technically fine from what I can see but is a tad too boring and doesn't feel dynamic enough (if the attacker was facing head on it would have been much better I think but as you say no control over that).

First one is a belter though. Facial expression and muscle definition just screams effort and aggressiveness (that's a word, right?). Now that is what I'd went in a shot like this, speaking as a former open-side flanker ;)

Hi Paul.
Vast - From my perspective the lighting on R2D2 is what doesn't work.
The obvious light source in teh shot is the doorway (and there are associated shadows), so the fact that the dark side of R2D2 is not more obviously in shadow jars slightly.
Just my opinion. I do love the way you explain how you've taken your shots so that those of us without lighting experience can begin to understand.

Hiya Tim, you're spot on with your crit. It is a fakely lit shot and you're right that as a result it doesn't feel particularly natural. But then my reasoning was a space robot walking out to a door into empty space isn't hugely natural anyway ;) It's really helpful to have your take on it though because if I were shooting (say) a person then this would just look plain weird - for the reasons you mention. Thanks for the constructive feedback and I appreciate it (y)

You've caught the action very well there Paul, it's the second shot for me for the topic, that tackle certainly looks Rough .....ouch :)

I have to say I hate rugby and I mean really hate it so I am biased straight away but never the less well done for trying some and I use the term loosely, sport photography, not something I have ever tried both pics are well caught though BGs are an obvious problem, so out of the two I think the second one works well for the theme title

Hi Paul. Blooming good shots as far as I'm concerned ... and first time out as well. Wonder if it helps being a player ... anticipating the tackle maybe. With the expression on the player's face in the first, that one would have been great for Effort but definitely the second is the one for Rough - conveys the theme excellently. :clap:

Thanks Ian, Tim, Susie, Allan and Carl (y)

I struggled to find one which was a good shot (as far as I was concerned) and on theme, so I decided to post one where I liked the expression (and had exactly the thoughts you had, Ian, although I might have called it "aggression" :p) and then a second which was less interesting but definitely on theme.

Allan, good spot on the BG. The BG on the first is the reason I decided to swap ends after I chimped the first handful of shots - a really ugly block of flats. Unfortunately, the location of the rugby ground isn't particularly moveable (As Ian may appreciate, if I had shot it at my local village club, Birkmyre, it'd have been a bit more picturesque although the rugby wouldn't have been as good!) The second one I had the benefit of the Argyll hills in the background, which was an improvement!

Hi Carl, I think having played is a huge plus if you want to capture the moment. I managed to get some decent lineout shots as well, the only problem being there was even more of the background because of the angle I was shooting up at. Oh, and they kept messing up their lineouts with overthrows so I never managed a catch - not because I failed to time it right, but simply because they kept failing to catch it!

If I want to do more of this I definitely need a longer lens but I'm not sure even a second-hand £250 80-200 f/2.8 is a sensible investment for the handful of times I might be using it - I don't bird or do wildlife, or motorsports!

Thanks for the comments - I might just throw in another idea I've had for rough to make sure it's definitely on theme but we'll see - depends whether I get time today.

Vast; like the idea behind the shot and the simple prop with just R2D2 works well. I can't help but wonder a reversal of lightings would be better or worst? i.e. a lit interior with a black doorway to convey the blackness and vastness of the outer space!

Rough; prefer the second shot with the tackle to show the rough and tough of the game.

Good idea for the theme and very well executed for a first try, I have tried shooting my lad at football and always find it hard to nail the focus and timing.

Great idea for the theme Paul, I can't really comment further as I know nothing of shooting sports, but just to say it looks good to me.

Rough - the first has great detail on the player but the 2nd fits the theme better as it highlight the roughness of the game better

I huge apology for taking so long to reply - I have a massive amount of work on at the moment (15+ hour days) so not much chance to get on here!

What can I say, the word completely evaded me! (It was early, okay)

Pah, you'd never see me forget my

Great choice for the theme - you captured some great movement and expressions there. Both work for me.

Thanks Emma - it's not great IMHO but I'm still pleased as a first attempt at sports togging and I thought it just about suited the theme :)

Vast; like the idea behind the shot and the simple prop with just R2D2 works well. I can't help but wonder a reversal of lightings would be better or worst? i.e. a lit interior with a black doorway to convey the blackness and vastness of the outer space!

Rough; prefer the second shot with the tackle to show the rough and tough of the game.

Cheers Stan - you're probably right with the R2 shot but I'm just time poor at the moment so won't have a chance to redo, but thanks for the suggestion which I'll try out when I can!

Good idea for the theme and very well executed for a first try, I have tried shooting my lad at football and always find it hard to nail the focus and timing.

Cheers Chris... nailing the focus was down to the camera rather than the operator. Even at f/1.8 it was spot on most of the time!

Great idea for the theme Paul, I can't really comment further as I know nothing of shooting sports, but just to say it looks good to me.

Cheers Chris, neither do I :)

Nice couple of shots good detail and colour

Thanks Walter... I think it's something I'll be doing more of being a rugby fan with a 5 year old son who loves playing it!

Rough - the first has great detail on the player but the 2nd fits the theme better as it highlight the roughness of the game better

Thanks Alison - agree on both counts! Thanks for looking in.

Rough, must get out for some sports photography :)

Second one for me, the tacklers face is great.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, and yes - get out and shoot some! I'm having a portrait session this weekend so hoping the theme is kind to me on that front :)

... :) some great sporting action, rough too.

I can see your 85mm on the D750 is a lens with many uses.

Last edited:
Two good shots for Rough. I'll have to agree with others that the second shot works better for the theme but without the theme I really like the first one, you caught that one very well.

... :) some great sporting action, rough too.

I can see your 85mm on the D750 is a lens with many uses.

Thanks David. Yes, that little beauty of a lens is just fab. I wouldn't have fancied it as much in this situation had I not been standing right on the touchline, but shooting at f/1.8 was great for isolation given I don't have a longer telephoto... (You know you need to get one!)

Two good shots for Rough. I'll have to agree with others that the second shot works better for the theme but without the theme I really like the first one, you caught that one very well.

Thanks Steve, I was of the same opinion re: those two shots - one for the theme and one "better" one. I'm happy to have managed to snap a couple of semi-decent ones though. Cheers!

Rough - Difficult to choose between the two both great shots with brilliant colours and detail and they certainly fit the theme

Rough - Difficult to choose between the two both great shots with brilliant colours and detail and they certainly fit the theme

Thanks Liz, that's very kind of you to say so :)

Onwards and upwards... have had an insanely hectic week this week and I'm working through the bank holiday weekend to get something over the line for Tuesday. Which is not going down well as it's my wife and my 10th anniversary. :exit:

So yes, I'm in trouble.

So all of that has prevented me from catching up with your threads as much as I'd like. I've managed to pop into a few of your threads but sorry to those who I haven't visited this week, I'll do it soon I promise :)

I had an idea for covered and I wanted to experiment with some different lighting setups. I decided I wanted to try a higher key shot but with a black background - I know that sounds contradictory, but I wanted a higher exposure on the subject against a dark background. I then decided I wanted some backlighting to light up hair and ended up with this for Covered:

Week 18: Covered
by Paul M, on Flickr

Self-critting the image, I'm not happy with the lighting, but I'm just timed out to reshoot for a while. The key light - a large, unmodified softbox top left angled down (using my new boom stand!) and a reflector just below frame angling the light back up is the wrong ratio, IMHO. This has flattened the light and looks too bland to me. It has, however, allowed me to massively ramp up the contrast, which is quite fun, but not what I'd intended. I also think my backlighting - a flash on the floor behind Izzy on wide angle, 1/2 power aimed towards her shoulders - is a touch too hot and I've had to recover her left arm (frame right as you look).

But still, I rather like the overall effect of the image despite the technical failings, so I've kept it :)

Comments very welcome as ever and it'll be interesting to see what you all make of how I've shot it!

For the hazelnut rights activists amongst you, you'll be pleased to know that only a single jar of nutella was used in the production of this photo.

HK Paul , I like it its a nice relaxed pic of your daughter , I prefer shots of kids which are more relaxed and natural than posed rather perfect shots, I know my kids never stayed clean and tidy for more than a few minutes. The backlight works to a degree but I think you are right about it being a little too much, though you are being a little too harsh on yourself, you seem to be heading down the portrait route a lot recently I have seen some more on other threads,
I am not really qualified to offer any advice as its not something I do but you do seem to be getting there even if you are maybe over thinking it at times, good work as always though Paul.

HK Paul , I like it its a nice relaxed pic of your daughter , I prefer shots of kids which are more relaxed and natural than posed rather perfect shots, I know my kids never stayed clean and tidy for more than a few minutes. The backlight works to a degree but I think you are right about it being a little too much, though you are being a little too harsh on yourself, you seem to be heading down the portrait route a lot recently I have seen some more on other threads,
I am not really qualified to offer any advice as its not something I do but you do seem to be getting there even if you are maybe over thinking it at times, good work as always though Paul.

Thanks Allan, that's really good of you to say - I appreciate it (y) I'm a terrible one for overanalysing things (to be fair, it's my day job!) so it's always helpful to get others' takes.

Every one of my shots of the kids which has been "caught" has been far, far better than the staged ones. As you say, they just feel more natural. I really enjoy the portrait side of things and I'm looking forward to picking up some additional heads next month as another member is having a bit of a lighting clear-out :)

Cheers for looking and commenting - your honest feedback is always well received.

For the hazelnut rights activists amongst you, you'll be pleased to know that only a single jar of nutella was used in the production of this photo.
You should have given Izzy 2 jars, then you would understand the word "covered" Paul :D
A nice natural portrait, and actually I like the back lighting.
The only crit, ( if it is such) is that I would have liked to have seen a little space to the left of her hair too.

Hi Paul. Unfair advantage having a little cutie to model for you - what beautiful hair and eyes. The colour looks perfect and the lighting to my untrained eye looks excellent - not bland; I'd say the subtle shading around her left eye by the bridge of the nose and around her left nostril for instance, nicely pick out the soft contours of her lovely face. Like the inclusion of the "Sparkle" banner but I suppose that came at cost to cropping a bit tight at the top of her head maybe!?! As if I know anything about portraiture or lighting Hah! It looks super to me Paul - I'd be over the moon and no mistake. :clap:

You should have given Izzy 2 jars, then you would understand the word "covered" Paul :D
A nice natural portrait, and actually I like the back lighting.
The only crit, ( if it is such) is that I would have liked to have seen a little space to the left of her hair too.

Thanks Chris - but no thanks ;) I cheated and actually dabbed some nutella quite carefully around her mouth and on her nose... Letting her run away with it (if she could even carry a 1kg glass jar of nutella!) might be a bad idea :)

It was a bit of a quick grab of a shot in the end - I managed to take four before I had a work call which finished our photo session. She was bouncing around like crazy, so I'm surprised I managed to nail focus, let alone nearly get her in frame. Thanks for the crit, it's always helpful (y)

Hi Paul. Unfair advantage having a little cutie to model for you - what beautiful hair and eyes. The colour looks perfect and the lighting to my untrained eye looks excellent - not bland; I'd say the subtle shading around her left eye by the bridge of the nose and around her left nostril for instance, nicely pick out the soft contours of her lovely face. Like the inclusion of the "Sparkle" banner but I suppose that came at cost to cropping a bit tight at the top of her head maybe!?! As if I know anything about portraiture or lighting Hah! It looks super to me Paul - I'd be over the moon and no mistake. :clap:

Thanks Carl - I'll be honest and say I love taking photos of her (and her big brother) but then as dad, I guess that's always going to be the case!

Her top was what she insisted on wearing for ballet earlier, but it must have subconsciously registered with me as I had the idea for backlighting her. Funnily enough, the crop was a decision by me in post - I actually have all of the top of her head in shot and some black empty space above her. I decided to crop in to help mirror the close crop frame left and pull her right eye over one of the thirds intersections. Cheers for looking and commenting (y)

Paul brings back memories of when our kids were little :) What happened was every surface got covered as well, be it food, paint, paper, glue you name it we saw it for sure. All great though. Wish we had digital cameras then ! Great idea really like that

Chris

Far better than any portrait shots I've taken Paul, so I can't add anything much except have you considered an instagram square crop?
You would lose most of the arms and then it would concentrate on the face and back lit hair.

Paul brings back memories of when our kids were little :) What happened was every surface got covered as well, be it food, paint, paper, glue you name it we saw it for sure. All great though. Wish we had digital cameras then ! Great idea really like that

Chris

Thanks Chris :)

Far better than any portrait shots I've taken Paul, so I can't add anything much except have you considered an instagram square crop?
You would lose most of the arms and then it would concentrate on the face and back lit hair.

Cheers Tim - the thing about portraits seems to be just get practicing. No substitute for taking more shots and learning each time. And being a bit lucky with the millisecond you press the shutter release!

I actually started off with a square crop but didn't like what I was losing (most of the Sparkle text) so I stretched it vertically to that. You're right though, it did increase attention onto her face/hair, which was good.

Decisions, decisions!

lovely portrait....though I think you should have let her loose with the jar :)
Ive got many snapshots of my kids like this but none like this. makes me wish id taken an interest in photography earlier.

covered - adorable but I am sure left to her own devices with the nutella she could have got a lot more covered.

And still pretty damned good (y)

Thanks again Chris :)

lovely portrait....though I think you should have let her loose with the jar :)
Ive got many snapshots of my kids like this but none like this. makes me wish id taken an interest in photography earlier.

Thank you Anita, I was aiming for something that looks a bit different from a conventional "set up" shot or candid, hence the reason I set up the lighting the way I did, although I overdid it slightly.

covered - adorable but I am sure left to her own devices with the nutella she could have got a lot more covered.

Hi Alison, that is something I can guarantee to be true :)

Really nice shot, only small crit would be the hair left and right keeps taking eye away,:)
That looks like me after the missus is baking:)

Hi Walter, thanks for commenting - I agree I've pushed the backlighting too much and also my reflected fill is a bit too strong as well - I needed to get my main light closer and less powerful to reduce the fill (sounds wrong, but that would use the faster fall-off to tame the reflected fill).

Cheers everyone (y)

Hi, Covered, exploiting the children I see :whistle:

I'd like eye contact and the hair to be in focus, but overall I like it, nice bright lighting.

Cheers.

OTT back lighting, but you guys are having fun that's the main thing. :D

It's a good photo, most people would be chuffed with that. I think you said it all in your post.

Hi, Covered, exploiting the children I see :whistle:

I'd like eye contact and the hair to be in focus, but overall I like it, nice bright lighting.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy... you're right of course about the eye contact - downside of a grab shot in that I only had a handful of takes and that was my favourite one. I didn't want the hair in focus as I thought it'd be too distracting combined with the backlight. Thanks for looking and appreciate the comments as always (y)

A cheeky take on the theme - nice choice! I agree with Andy about the eye contact, but she looked like she had a lot of fun :)

Hi Emma - she definitely did!! She loves chimping too... Thanks for comments :)

OTT back lighting, but you guys are having fun that's the main thing. :D

Hi David - yup, would have toned that down had I had time to continue the shoot :( Cheers!

It's a good photo, most people would be chuffed with that. I think you said it all in your post.

Thanks Chris - appreciate it.

She looks incredibly clean Paul, not a mark on that white top :) I love the lighting behind her hair and those gorgeous blue eyes.

Hi Susie, yes, a touch staged :) I would have been in trouble if she'd ended up too messy! Thanks for looking and commenting as always (y)

Finally caught up to commenting here! (I actually do it alphabetically so it takes a while to get to you. :D)

Vast - I’m glad you did this instead of mountains and lakes (we have enough of those already, although I have no doubt you would have done a cracking job)! But I’m really liking R2D2 heading towards the great unknown. (He’s my second favourite star wars character. My favourite are the MSE-6 mouse droids because they make the cutest noises but they’re not really main characters so I guess R2D2 kind of wins by default, lol.)

Anyway, your creativity with the concept and the lighting is impressive. You’ve nitpicked your own photo but to my untrained eye, everything looks perfect. :p

Rough - Good take on the theme! I’m still struggling to take actions shots that are properly in focus so these are amazing in my opinion. You’ve picked some good moments to freeze, although I’d say the second one fits the theme a bit more. :)

Covered - So, I see you managed to shoehorn your new boom stand into the week’s theme. Hehe, well done, really good idea. I love it! Your daughter is just precious and the chocolate on her face is like icing on cake! I’m curious to know, was that spread on her artistically by a makeup artist, or was it all her, after having a go at the nutella? The reason I ask is it looks perfectly smeared - very symmetrical, and yet natural looking and totally cute!

Back