weekly pjm1's TP52 in 2016 - week 31 Fauna

Wow! That's an amazing shot Paul - professional quality imo. The camera itself is excellently exposed but I particularly like the way the softer light falls so subtlety picking out the contours of the main light and stand. (Envy you not only all the gear but the dedicated room). Marvellous. :clap:

Wow! That's an amazing shot Paul - professional quality imo. The camera itself is excellently exposed but I particularly like the way the softer light falls so subtlety picking out the contours of the main light and stand. (Envy you not only all the gear but the dedicated room). Marvellous. :clap:

Thanks Carl - appreciate the very kind comments! As for a dedicated room - it's actually our "adults room" (no, not that kind :whistle:) where we can retreat when kids etc. demand it - so I can only set up in there when Mrs Pjm1 isn't wanting to watch a film...

I love the mood and light in your first 'effort' shot Paul, grab shot or not - makes me really want to be there. Your technology is spot on with the fall off in light - anyone would think you'd been practising this lighting stuff ;) Just...can't..quite...make...out...the...model...:p

I love the mood and light in your first 'effort' shot Paul, grab shot or not - makes me really want to be there. Your technology is spot on with the fall off in light - anyone would think you'd been practising this lighting stuff ;) Just...can't..quite...make...out...the...model...:p

Thanks Emma :) It makes the practice worthwhile when it comes together and more or less works! There are still bits and pieces I'd probably tweak but I'm definitely getting happier with my shots lately.

As for the model - well, to think I started off last week thinking I wanted a 5D Mark 3!?

Well Paul. Thats a really great image. Mr Edwards will have to keep an eye on you over @ Lencarta towers :)
In awe at the lighting knowledge you have gained recently :)

Gaz

You got it, then? You won't be disappointed ;) That's an excellent image, perfectly composed and exposed, and - as noted above - the light on the head/bowl of the lighting unit is important to add interest there and balances the image nicely. A very nice shot to mark your new arrival :)

Thanks Andrea! Very happy with the new toy and managed to sneak some time shooting the kids at Loch Lomond today. Best of all Mrs Pjm1 didn't even clock that I was using a new camera. Was it bad of me to intercept the TNT delivery man yesterday before he reached the front door?!?

Well Paul. Thats a really great image. Mr Edwards will have to keep an eye on you over @ Lencarta towers :)
In awe at the lighting knowledge you have gained recently :)

Gaz

Thanks Gaz :) I still think an element of this is blind luck... this is probably the first image where SOOC was pretty much what I wanted! I can't recommend following Garry's tutorials on both the Lencarta site as well as here in the lighting section (and critique). That and "Light Science & Magic" is basically what taught me what I know so far. Loads more to learn though!

Artificial - right on theme
Personal - so peaceful.I like the second one best
Effort - I like the back story and both the pictures. For the Theme the 1st one just pips it for me with the cut logs
Technology - perfect choice for the theme I do like the light on the light all good pictures

Technology, I used to think, 'how hard can lighting be?!', how misguided I was :)

Nice pool of soft, moody light and well composed.

Decent camera as well ;)

Cheers.

Artificial - right on theme
Personal - so peaceful.I like the second one best
Effort - I like the back story and both the pictures. For the Theme the 1st one just pips it for me with the cut logs
Technology - perfect choice for the theme I do like the light on the light all good pictures

Thanks Alison - and it's nearly Thursday again (ish) :)

Technology, I used to think, 'how hard can lighting be?!', how misguided I was :)

Nice pool of soft, moody light and well composed.

Decent camera as well ;)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - me too! In fact, when I started I thought it was just about avoiding not having enough light and that more must therefore be better - midday sun etc.

Camera is working out well but despite all the technology it doesn't appear actually to compose and take the pictures for you, which is frankly a bit disappointing.

(y)

D750 ... I want one.

..... like the light on the light.

Thanks Naka :) I just took a quick night-time snap of my son asleep in his room - just his bedside light on and at ISO 5600 and f/2.8 the detail and quality is astonishing. I'm definitely happy with the new purchase!!
Not jealous :D One day.

Hiya Paul, Technology is such a good image, perfect lighting and composition. Nothing else to add.

Not jealous :D One day.

Hi Naka, I've just caused some disagreement elsewhere by recommending someone doesn't go for a full frame camera :) Yes, the low light sensitivity is better and ability to get "real" f/1.8 or f/1.4 is there but that aside, it becomes a far more expensive hobby, the camera and lenses are most definitely heavier and more cumbersome and obviously there's the cost. All for that extra 2%...

What it has said to me though is that new technology (appropriate for this theme!) is quite a bit better than old tech in areas like AF, low light etc. The difference between my new camera and my old Pentax is night and day. But I could probably get pretty much the same benefit on a D7200 etc.

Hiya Paul, Technology is such a good image, perfect lighting and composition. Nothing else to add.

Thanks Lee - it seems to have worked for everyone (and I've never had over 1000 views for any of my images on Flickr before, let alone in one week!)

Ok, I had another idea for horizontal, but sometimes you shoot something which squeezes it out. I'll also be honest and say the other idea was a setup "producty" shot and I think you'll be getting bored of those from me by now :)

The thing about horizontal is: it has to be perfectly horizontal. Slightly off and it's obviously not horizontal (and gets peoples' OCD going). So, what is out there that is guaranteed to be perfectly horizontal? The surface of water, of course. Barring wind, waves and whirlpools it's always going to be flat and 100% horizontal.

Now, as it happened, we were staying at a loch for the weekend so had plenty of opportunities to shoot water. Which was nice. So here are two from opposite side of midnight: one long exposure just post sunset and one early morning sunrise. I didn't get as much sleep as I'd have liked that night but photography is worth it :)

C&C always welcome - I'm trying to do more landscapey stuff but I'm still learning what works and doesn't... and a long way to go. I currently only have a cheapy zoom and two longer length primes for my new camera. So I shot this at 50mm! I actually quite liked the different perspective it gives you - sometimes wide can be quite cliched and in the second shot, in particular, I wanted the bridge to be clearly visible.

Week 15: Horizontal (take 1)
by Paul M, on Flickr

Week 15: Horizontal (take 2)
by Paul M, on Flickr

Really like both of those Paul good to see you putting your new camera to good use.

Love the reflections in the second one

I need to go back through your thread and read about your lighting set up you've used on some of your previous entries.

Really like both of those Paul good to see you putting your new camera to good use.

Love the reflections in the second one

I need to go back through your thread and read about your lighting set up you've used on some of your previous entries.

Thanks Mark... setting up the lighting on these ones was easy :)

I'm still learning a lot about lighting and I find my shots are still improving markedly, so I'd be a bit careful about learning from me right now :) Having said that, there are obviously a couple where it seems to have worked although I still think I fall into the "luck rather than judgement" camp a fair bit.

Garry Edwards' Lencarta blog and tutorial section on their website is really good on so many aspects of lighting (and it's free, obviously). I'd really recommend looking through that as he also includes loads of pictures. I learnt a fair proportion of what I use now from his articles, as well as the LSM book that lots of people go on about.

Beautiful image Paul - Take 1 that is (Take 2 seems to have gone AWOL). Love the pastel shades and the lighting starbursts. Such a tranquil scene. (Hoping to make a trip up during the next few months). :clap:

Beautiful image Paul - Take 1 that is (Take 2 seems to have gone AWOL). Love the pastel shades and the lighting starbursts. Such a tranquil scene. (Hoping to make a trip up during the next few months). :clap:

Thanks Carl - appreciate the positive comments :) Strange that Take 2 isn't appearing?! I haven't re-uploaded it or anything and have refreshed the page and can still see it myself - but then I know flickr can be a bit funny when you're logged in as yourself.

If anyone can't see it please shout!

Thanks Carl - appreciate the positive comments :) Strange that Take 2 isn't appearing?! I haven't re-uploaded it or anything and have refreshed the page and can still see it myself - but then I know flickr can be a bit funny when you're logged in as yourself.

If anyone can't see it please shout!
Ah! it's back up now Paul. Wow #2 is even better - lovely composition and the colours are absolutely stunning.

Super shots Paul ...the explanation makes them fit the topic perfectly, that's a wonderful location and a fabulous reflection in the second one.

Thanks Susie... a teeny weeny shoehorn, I'll admit but I thought they were nice scenes so wanted to get them in (and the water surface was something which struck me immediately as being horizontal). And I am trying to avoid doing too many setup / producty shots.

Loch Tay is very pretty, especially at that end of the loch. Between these shots and the kids having fun at the playpark all weekend, it was a good run-out for the new gear :)

Thanks for looking and commenting (y)

:clap:

Two beautiful photography and like them both. Love the colours and stillness of the scene, the star-burst effect from the small aperture of the first and the reflection of the second. Very well done Paul and well worth the effort of staying up late and getting up early for our love of photography. :clap:

Thanks Stan :) It was one of those that looked lovely in real life and good on the back of the camera but the RAW was a bit disappointing. A few sliders in LR and it was back to how it really looked! Thanks for looking and commenting (y)

Two very nice photos, personally I feel number 1 just edges it for the theme.

Hmmmmm the second one for me Paul, I am preferring the sky much more on that one,and the reflection also works much better, oh, and the Horizontal horizon is much more apparent... Likey (y)

Thanks Dean - yes, the sky was definitely a bit punchier at sunrise, although had I been able to make it out for sunset then I reckon that would have been even better. Cheers!

Two very nice photos, personally I feel number 1 just edges it for the theme.

Thanks Chris - appreciate the comment (y)

They're both fab shots Paul, but I especially like the second with its gorgeous quality of light and the more interesting clouds. It's beautifully composed. I love it as it is, but wonder what a longer exposure, smoothing out the water would have looked like, too?

Back