weekly Reanimated 52 2014 - Massive update to darkness

Pretty simple, Iain. A glass tumbler with a clear bottom - no text or anything. Some ripped up coloured tissue on the floor under the tumbler and some water in the tumbler with a couple of drops of fairy liquid in. The shot I've used was just from pouring the water in, but later I used some oil - you can see those weird-ass looking things on my Flickr.

The shot was taken with a 105mm macro lens open at 2.8 and lighting was a desk lamp - as you can see from the reflection. I also did a proof of concept shot at work using a 70-300mm Tamron on the macro setting and that worked just as well. I'll upload those when I get a chance.

Thanks Tony (y)
Its as Jason mentioned above, the intensity/contrast of the bubbles which had me asking.

Interesting, I like it (y) colour and cluster of bubbles is great, just found all the other little ones dotted about a bit distracting :)

HI Tony

lovely bubble , simple but effective , great colors (y)

only little niggle from me is the bright spot just above the bubble...& I wonder if it would be possible to clone out the lamp reflection in the bubble :thinking:

great colours there - love all the little bubbles huddling all around the big one.. couple of reflections that I might prefer not be there....

Good luck with the house move - thats something firmly on our "not to do again" list...

I'm back; house move has gone well and we now have fibre broadband which makes uploading pictures much quicker. So here comes the MASSIVE catchup.

First up, Smoke - only one for this as I was somewhat constrained for time.

Medium
by ReanimatedImagery, on Flickr

Next, Mineral:

First, another one of my lamentable visual puns, for which I apologise.

Trio

Then, two variations on the same theme (and, indeed, using the same model).

Entombed

Gorgon

Ending was relatively simple - two versions.

The Sixth Sense

"It is my painful duty..."

welcome back and a great selection of images, i am glad that the move went well for you it can be such a stressful time.

Smoke - fits the theme very well great composition i like it well done.

Mineral - i have to pick the image entombed i love the composition of the image and the detail and the rough grainy feel to the image.

Ending - I find the first image simple but not exciting but fits the theme, the second image is nicely composed and processed but i dont feel and " ending from it " .

bubbles ... i live your bubbles it does have a jewel look about it

Smoke...super composition one of the best smokes for me (y)

Mineral....Entombed for me too great sky, she almost looks as if she's crying

Ending... effective, fits the theme I like the way you have used the dof

Picture of the letter is the best one for this theme I've seen. Only one crit, if that's tea in the cup it's very anaemic and I would have preferrred to see proper tea in it, but I pick at nits here, a lovely, evocative picture overall.

Welcome back Tony - glad the move went well :)

plenty to catch up on... but i'm tired so will be minimal from me :D

Like the smoke image, nice sharp smoke, really like the lighting on your models face !!!!

Also really liking your Ending idea, super detail and love the PP

Good catching up (y)

Smoke – Good smoke shot. I’m not sure about the addition of the texture as I feel the strength is with the model’s face and the smoke.

Mineral – I quite like this one. The processing and the straight on pose gives it a certain feel. Nice.

Sense – I’m finding both these a bit noisy but realise that’s the idea. I feel it works better with #2 though which had some nice rim lighting around the subject to lift her away from the background

Ending – Again #2 for this theme. I like the dated look to this and top marks for the thinking behind the theme. A minor crit would be to crop above the vignette on the bottom but feel in this picture it isn’t totally out of place anyway

Smoke - well handled - looks very sharp on my screen
Mineral - unusual comp but works OK
Sense - not getting either of them , sorry
Ending - like the lighting, details and shadow on #1 . #2 - excellent idea - like the sepia tone - the tea cup adds a bit of ordinary day to dayness to contrasting with the devastating news. Bottom of letter a bit bright. Is the letter real? What a terrible 'fill in the blanks, cross out the wrong bits' way to deal with next of kin.

Certainly a great selection of images there and well done for catching up so well....
The stand out ones for me are smoke......I love the lighting on the models face, and the letter. I agree with Alan above, the placing of the cup and saucer is perfect to create a contrast with the news contained in the letter.

I'm on a massive catch up so can only comment on my favourite and that's Mineral #1. Interesting take and central composition works well. I'd prefer a crop the exclude the sky.

Cheers.

Hi Tony

.....Smoke....nicely on theme , mono I like & lovely lighting on both smoke & model

Mineral made me smile...such a dead pan expression...there seems to be something weird going on around the lower leaf area in the plant & just above the rock , almost like ghosting :thinking:

Ending....like the simplicity of #1 & the emotion in#2....though I have to agree about the color of that tea ;)

Stirling work as always....and a least I actually understood some of your shots this time :D

Flying visit between parent's evenings for Positive:

Contact

For anyone interested, here's the set up:

Positive Element

Put into PS and the background removed and a metal floor added:

Positive Figure

The figure is then printed and cut out and placed into the guts of a dismantled PC:

Setup

And then two lights to add some depth. Yellow and blue filters - Quality Street wrappers - to give some complimentary colour:

Setup with Lighting

Final shot put into photoshop and electicity added. Bob's your Uncle.

Couldn't you save a step and cut out the figure without bothering to remove the background from the original picture of the model or do you need it to insert the metal floor?

It's easier to cut out if the background is replaced with black - it allows me to leave a tiny black edge which helps give the figure extra definition. The most important thing though, as you say, is the floor. I needed something to brace the figure with. Besides, removing the back ground with a layer mask only takes 5 minutes so it's not exactly onerous.

Nice comp and guide :)

Excellent work and nice to see the process

I'm with DK, I didn't realise she was 'cut out' and placed either, very good (y).......................trouble is, I've got 'She's Electric' in mi head now, can't stop singing it
shakinghead.gif
:D

Another belter Tony... nowt else to say... (y)

Very nice take on the theme and thank you for the tutorial on how you did it

Hi, nice to see the explanation of you shots
really like "entombed" and "sense"
really nice set, look forward to seeing more

Back