Ross 52 for 2018 Thread 'Week 31 - Short'

Hi Ross,

Shadow - I think I'm with @brrnd, in preferring the leaf to the tree. Primarily because it's less busy.
Beautiful - Not my type of thing really, flowers, but the composition works with the completely oof background. Perhaps a little soft?
Low - Interesting, I don't think I would have realised it was the eye from that shot, it's not how I'm used to seeing it. Well played :)

Low key makes a really good abstract, well seen and captured

So low key yuo can barely see it lol.....interesting shot and I like the curve of the eye in the frame.

Hi Ros, Catching up on comments, sorry I haven't been to your thread for a long time! Well to be truthful I haven't been to many for a long time :(

Wet - excellent pov and a good reflection. I particularly like the headlights, they look like some kind of monster eyes
Juxt - Well spotted, wonder how the smooth white stones got there. nice composition and perfect for the theme
Oval - another good one for the theme and well executed. Only thing I'm not sure about is the milky look to the droplet, I guess its the colour of the leaf that gives the effect
Straight - There are lots of straight things and we wouldn't have know the tower was wonky till you told us. Nice leading line with the wall. We have a very similar tower near here, it's called the herring tower. It's apparently a marker for passing ships
Unattractive - Certainly is! Why can't people just take their rubbish home:mad:
Shadow - Think there are more shadows in the monkey puzzle tree but its a little too busy. The light through the leaf is lovely
Beautiful - lovely flower. I like the comp. with the centre to one side (if that make sense:confused:)
Low - very good idea for something different. Good abstract, wasn't 100% sure what it was until I read some of the other comments. The curve on the 3rd works perfectly

So sorry to hear about your Nan, hope you are doing OK.

Week 19 - Match

I wanted to get something that matched rather than a literal match (be it wooden or the sport variety), and something with some symmetry in it as well.

I took advantage of a near empty tube carriage on the drain on the way back from work this afternoon.

This, to me, seems to fit the bill. Not complete symmetry due to the reflections, but I kinda like that. The dark processing is a personal choice, but I hope you folks like it.

A trio of matching seats.

Match(ing) Lowres.jpg

As per usual there is a much petter quality shot on Flickr.

beautiful - great flower shot, like the colours
low - great idea, well composed!
match - nice and straight, well done! I particularly like the reflection of the woman looking at her phone

They sure match - and I like it :)

Good symmetry with match, nice and colourful and they certainly match.

I like that, it works for the theme and as a stand alone shot, so well done.

Unattractive - image certainly fits the theme, it annoys me with lazy people who cant use the bins provided.
Shadow - I agree that the monkey puzzle image is a bit to busy, the second image has some amazing detail in the leaf.
Beautiful - love the colours, nice focus in the middle of the flower, composition works well.
Low - a very good attempt at a Low key image, much better viewed on Flickr.
Match - I like your style of processing, and the window reflection adds a bit of interest to the image, and its all level and its something different.

Not much to give it away, but I'm guessing Northern Line tube stock?
Great low angle, somewhat unusual for a tube interior. I wonder if the woman reflected in the window even noticed what you were doing.

Not much to give it away, but I'm guessing Northern Line tube stock?
Great low angle, somewhat unusual for a tube interior. I wonder if the woman reflected in the window even noticed what you were doing.
Correct. Northern line between bank and old street somewhere. Dont think the woman suspected a thing. I was tres sneaky.

Hi Ross

Match, nice vibrant photo, nice and level and good catch with the reflection and not being reflected your self.
Looks cleaner than the tube I was using Sunday.

Pete

Week 20 - Music/Musical

So I knew where I wanted to try to get this weeks shot. As a musician I wanted to take an image somewhere that I don't think anyone else would be able to get one. So went to work today armed with my camera and took 2 shots which i like during the 20 min interval of the show. I must say I got some weird looks from the rest of the band whilst trying this.

So these are taken in the orchestra pit of Dreamgirls at the Savoy Theatre. The lighting is terrible. Everything is just lights on music stands. All harsh bright but very localised light. so that was challenge 1. Challenge 2 is space. It is cramped. 5 people, 11 instruments plus stuff in a space about 7 foot by 15 foot. Aaaand all the walls are painted black. So it was tricky.

So my main submission for the week is this one:

Musical1 lowres.jpg

The instrument on the right is my 1945 Olds Super trombone with the sheet music for the show in the background. Annoyingly in order to get detail in the mic, the pages behind are blown out, I know that. But to me this screams music.

My second for this week is this:

Musical2 lowres.jpg

A much wider shot but I'm not sure this will be anyone elses cup of tea (I think you will all find it too busy). I actually prefer this to the first. It has more context. More of my instrument, the blue screens are the video feed for the conductor so we can see him. But it is very busy and I understand that not everyone likes that. You can also see how bad the lighting is in this one too.

Please do have a look at them on Flickr here and here as they do look much nicer at higher res.

Thanks for looking.

I like both of them, I used to work in theatre and have many times helped with setting up the pit for orchestras I don’t know how you guys work in the cramped conditions

Beautiful - great focus and lovely colour
Low - low key indeed and as you say much better on flickr
Match - They do indeed match I like the reflection well done for hiding yourself.
Music - 1st one for me less distractions

#1 is perfect, the microphone in focus, but everything else not too out of focus!

#2 is more of a 'behind the scenes' shot, which I find very interesting if a bit busy.

#2 ... probably better mike detail and BG OOF but of interest. (y)

Second for me for more details in the background which makes for an interesting shot of yor working environment.

Music

Both are cracking shots, if I had one criticism (and this will probably only be me), the open music sheets are a bit bright, mainly in the first shot. I think if the music was a bit more visible, still blurred out, but showing, would work better.

Music

Both are cracking shots, if I had one criticism (and this will probably only be me), the open music sheets are a bit bright, mainly in the first shot. I think if the music was a bit more visible, still blurred out, but showing, would work better.
Yea. That's what i wanted but unfortunately because the light is very weird down there, if i got detail in the music everything else was dark with no detail and the same the other way if i got shadow detail the music was blown out. I could have perhaps done a hdr style thing but i had no tripod and no room to set one up. Alas.

Yea. That's what i wanted but unfortunately because the light is very weird down there, if i got detail in the music everything else was dark with no detail and the same the other way if i got shadow detail the music was blown out. I could have perhaps done a hdr style thing but i had no tripod and no room to set one up. Alas.

Hi Ross.

If you had exposed for the sheet Music and have a RAW file I belive you can HDR off just that one, so you could then brigten up the dark area, Not that I have done that yet myself, Yet.

BTW
I like both of your Images for Music, on the first one I like the detail you have captured in the Mic. On the second one I like the distractions, so a wider DOF I think would work.

Pete.

Week 21 - Hard

Yea. This was hard. Not much inspiration this week.

So this is my mountain bike. I cycle quite a lot, both in London and out in the wilderness. I much prefer the latter. The focus is on a frame sticker for 'Steel is Real'. If you zoom in, the text around the edge reads 'Heat Treated - Air Hardened'

Steel - Hard
Air Hardened

A bit of shoehornery but hey.

Hard Lowres.jpg

The head tube is the blurred oof foreground (there deliberately to show the make on the head badge, which is obvious to bikers), the top tube and brake cable lead back to the in focus seat tube with the frame sticker. Not my best work but I'm happy.

Better quality on Flickr as usual.

Thanks

Last edited:
The blurred bit is a little to eye catching perhaps but it works for the theme overall,
I’m with you too no inspiration for this theme at all

I'm not usually keen on foreground bluriness but in this case it doesn't bother me, I guess the cross bar leading nicely to the sticker makes it work

The blurred bit is a little to eye catching perhaps but it works for the theme overall,
I’m with you too no inspiration for this theme at all

Hard is on theme, agree about the blurry bit but still on theme.

An interesting subject for the theme and I like the use of shallow dof to separate the different parts of the bike. however, I find the oof label a bit distracting.

Heres one for you guys without the foreground, and taken closer in to the seat tube (where the sticker is).

Close hard Low.jpg

Ross

You must have a hard arse to ride that, no suspenion, so fits the theme.
I think it's just as well you explained about the bike, so the Image fits the explaination well.

The second cropped image is better as an Image and is more obvious.

Pete

Back