weekly rpn's 2016 Project 52 - Week 52 CELEBRATE Added (Complete)

Spiky, TBH I prefer the full shot to the close up (y)

Re-shoot, that certainly say's abandoned to me well spotted and captured Stan (y)

I agree about the full shot over the crop for spikes.

Love the tractor, it seem like each wheel is pointing in a different direction!

Lovely light there Stan. (y)

Hi, very colourful shot for living world
spiky a very nice shot perfect from overhead and very spiky indeed

Stan I'm really liking ALL of your shots for Spiky.
Struggling to pick a fave.

I like both your spiky shots - the crop and stones work very well in the first and it's interesting to see the detail on the spines in the second - lots of detail in such a heavy crop. Great old tractor, too!

Thanks Emma, I'm surprise by the details too for such close crop as I only have the Fuji X-E1/18-55mm lens with me.

Spiky, TBH I prefer the full shot to the close up (y)

Re-shoot, that certainly say's abandoned to me well spotted and captured Stan (y)

Cheers Chris. (y)

I agree about the full shot over the crop for spikes.

Love the tractor, it seem like each wheel is pointing in a different direction!

Lovely light there Stan. (y)

Nice crop on spiky, love the old tractor in abandoned take 2

Thanks Brian and Clive. I'm pleased with the tractor shot too but just a shame I cut off the top of the exhaust though

Topical: really cool shot of the harbour, love the reflections and lens flare.

Living World: I like the living/dead contrast, it's a good interpretation of the theme.

Spiky: I prefer the crop; the square edit makes for a good composition in the first but the close-up in the second just screams 'spikes!'

Abandoned re-shoot: Great photo, that dilapidated tractor has a lot of character - add some googly eyes and it could be talking in a Pixar movie! As a subject I prefer it to your original Abandoned shot.

Sorry catching up with comments
Happy - lovely portrait shot
Abandoned - 3 interesting shots I like the bridge best it is unusual.
Danger - Picture says it all good take on theme.
Camouflage - fun choice.
Topical - great picture I like the lighting and reflections, and good narrative.
Living world - I like the contrast in the tree types.
Spiky - I like the close crop and its original best.
Reshoot - another good shot but I still like the bridge best.

Last edited:
Hi Stan .....well you're in the perfect place to find those cactus I like them both ....perfect for the theme, the abstract works very well but I'd like the centre one to be dead centre of the frame .....sorry it's just my ocd again !

What a great find in the abandoned tractor, love the location too.

Topical: really cool shot of the harbour, love the reflections and lens flare.

Living World: I like the living/dead contrast, it's a good interpretation of the theme.

Spiky: I prefer the crop; the square edit makes for a good composition in the first but the close-up in the second just screams 'spikes!'

Abandoned re-shoot: Great photo, that dilapidated tractor has a lot of character - add some googly eyes and it could be talking in a Pixar movie! As a subject I prefer it to your original Abandoned shot.

Cheers Nick for the catch up comments. Like you suggestion about Pixar.

Sorry catching up with comments
Happy - lovely portrait shot
Abandoned - 3 interesting shots I like the bridge best it is unusual.
Danger - Picture says it all good take on theme.
Camouflage - fun choice.
Topical - great picture I like the lighting and reflections, and good narrative.
Living world - I like the contrast in the tree types.
Spiky - I like the close crop and its original best.
Reshoot - another good shot but I still like the bridge best.

Thanks Alison, very much appreciate your catch up comments.

Hi Stan .....well you're in the perfect place to find those cactus I like them both ....perfect for the theme, the abstract works very well but I'd like the centre one to be dead centre of the frame .....sorry it's just my ocd again !

What a great find in the abandoned tractor, love the location too.

Spiky #1 for me. Great POV and nice detail.

Cheers.

Cheers Susie and Andy

Hello Stan, like your living world image, just shows how different trees or bushes can be for each other, Really liking Spiky 2, super detail and the closeness works very well. The spines look like cable ties.

Hi Stan - catch up for me, sorry!

Living world works for the theme but lacks something of real interest in the frame for me. But maybe I'm just grumpy because the blue sky has gone again here ;)

Spiky 1 - spot on for me. I like the crop and positioning. The lighting and processing has worked really well and the image feels very "together" as a result.
Spiky 2 is also good and a very interesting different take on the same thing.

Abandoned reshoot is a good shot for me and also well processed. It's a shame you've missed the top of its exhaust though, as others have said.

Hi Stan

Liking both Spiky shots, what a strange plant in nice summery setting.

Love the tractor, flat tyres, makeshift chimney & all. Your POV is spot on.

(y)

Last edited:
Not too happy with this week's effect. An uninteresting image but different and also fit the theme I think.

No, not Spiky I already done that one. This is an Artificial Talking Cactus that surprises visitors in Aberdeen Winter Garden. More information HERE. Those spikes are made out of cocktail sticks.

Week 11 - Artificial

Week 11 Artificial 103866a by Stan, on Flickr

That is one nasty looking (albeit artificial) Cactus!
Nice PoV Stan, I had to look twice to see it "wasn't real" it works well (y)

That is one nasty looking (albeit artificial) Cactus!
Nice PoV Stan, I had to look twice to see it "wasn't real" it works well (y)

Cheers Chris. Not just nasty looking but also scarey too with periscope eye!

Well taken, would never have guessed it was artificial.

Thanks Walter.

Fabulous find Stan - I thought Spiky straight away because the cactus looked so realistic. Amazing - quite like the triffid-like version with the evil eye too. :clap:

I agree with the others, your original is good for the theme (and camo and spikey), well captured and nice and subtle. The third one made me smile.

Artificial is definitely on theme, would have missed that for certain.

I like the busy surroundings ... contrasting colours, textures and that low light. (y)

Another one here who saw this as Spiky and not Artificial. I would never have guessed, but perhaps the spines are just too consistent.
I have to agree with Andy on the background, but not much you could do about that really.

Well spotted Stan - a camouflaged artificial if you will! Good use of DOF and positioning in frame, although I'll admit to rather likely the jaunty angle of the third shot :)

Thanks Paul. That could fits all three themes; Artificial, Camouflaged and Spiky.

Fabulous find Stan - I thought Spiky straight away because the cactus looked so realistic. Amazing - quite like the triffid-like version with the evil eye too. :clap:

I agree with the others, your original is good for the theme (and camo and spikey), well captured and nice and subtle. The third one made me smile.

Cheers Carl and Chris.

I do like your Spikey shot!
And thanks for the explanation.
I had wondered if it was a type of hot-house misting device, but talking is even better :LOL:

Very good idea for the theme Stan. The eye is really drawing the "private and confidential", nicely done.

Back