weekly rpn's 2016 Project 52 - Week 52 CELEBRATE Added (Complete)

Topical indeed Stan.
Lovely shot of the docked tankers.

Image number 1 for me. A well captured shot for topic ... :D Love how you have caught the starburst light effect. Very appealing shot.

Hell, that appears to be a small flotilla sitting around doing nothing, surely the rigs still need to be re-supplied / maintained even if they are not generating the normal huge amounts of money?
The image seems sharper on flickr and remarkably sharp considering that the ships must have moved a bit during your 13 sec exposure.
I like the lens flares and the blue tint you've obtained in the night sky.
Nicely on theme. (y)

Thanks for the comments Tim. Yes they do but the rigs need less frequent visits and supplies due to down-manning of operating and maintenance people. Works only needed for essential maintenance and safety requirements.

That is a wonderful first shot, Stan. I love the light bursts and reflections leading us into the shot, and your description of the hardship Aberdeen is facing is moving and thought provoking.

Thanks Emma. I set a small aperture for the starbursts effect and that itself led to a longer shutter time for the smooth water reflections.

That's a great night shot, Stan. Really nicely taken and good technicals to use a tripod + small aperture to get the starbursts. On a calmer night you'd maybe have had even more of a millpond effect, but maybe that would just be impossible being next to the sea and all! Lovely tones in the sky, too... (y)

Topical - great images, good colours and composition nicely done (y)

Thanks Mandy, appreciated.

That's a great night shot, Stan. Really nicely taken and good technicals to use a tripod + small aperture to get the starbursts. On a calmer night you'd maybe have had even more of a millpond effect, but maybe that would just be impossible being next to the sea and all! Lovely tones in the sky, too... (y)

Cheers Paul. (y)

Love the starbursts in image one,
nicely composed image,
very topical,

Thanks Walter, pleased you like the shot.

Image number 1 for me. A well captured shot for topic ... :D Love how you have caught the starburst light effect. Very appealing shot.

Hi Stan :)

Topical - Gotta love the colours in that shot, although I like the second shot, moon inclusive, I prefer the shimmering water, bright starburst lights and overall feel of the first image (y)

A really super shot Stan ....I love it :clap:

Many thanks for all taking the time to stop by and comment I appreciated it.

Not sure this fits the theme and apologise for the blue sky. Noticed this looking out from my Cyprus apartment and thought of the colours of The Living World. Blue for the sky/sun/air; basic elements of the living world. Brown for the withering end of living and lost of youth freshness. Green for the living and growing.

Week 09 - The Living World

Week 09 The Living World by Stan, on Flickr

Topical - Thanks for the background, normally when I here of oil prices going down it seems a good thing (mainly for petrol costs) but it's good to be reminded of the other side of the story for those whose livelihoods are tied up with the oil industry. Really like the shot as well, some lovely detail in the shot and very nice starbursts.

The living world - definetly fits the theme in my view, the colours work very well together. Well seen and captured.

Hi Stan. Strangely, we've got blue skies too although ours has a few white puffy clouds - I'm sure it'll not last as long as your lovely sky though. No doubt about it being themed - trees are definitely of the Living World. Enjoy Cyprus.

Definitely on Theme Stan, its all there (y)

lovely colours and tones in topical and a good take on the theme :)

Are you sure that tree is living? it looks a little ropey to me ;) In all seriousness i like the different types of foilage all mixed together (y)

Sorry, having a huge catch up !

Camo - like it, it fits the theme well and is well executed - also reminds me of the scene in star wars when they are in the rubbish crusher :D

Dangerous - simple and effective - the ice also gives an added sense of danger !

Topical - Fantastic back story and insight - lovely image lighting and tones too :)

Living World - nice image and definitely on theme - minor niggle is the slight halo where the blue meets the trees from the PP, but something im also hugely guilt of !

Topical - Thanks for the background, normally when I here of oil prices going down it seems a good thing (mainly for petrol costs) but it's good to be reminded of the other side of the story for those whose livelihoods are tied up with the oil industry. Really like the shot as well, some lovely detail in the shot and very nice starbursts.

The living world - definetly fits the theme in my view, the colours work very well together. Well seen and captured.

Cheers Steve, it's the contrasting colours that caught my eyes.

Hi Stan. Strangely, we've got blue skies too although ours has a few white puffy clouds - I'm sure it'll not last as long as your lovely sky though. No doubt about it being themed - trees are definitely of the Living World. Enjoy Cyprus.

Thanks Carl, blue sky or not it's nice to put my feet up and no need to get up before 6:00 every morning.

Definitely on Theme Stan, its all there (y)

Cheers Chris.

Nice blue skies there Stan with a contrast between the life in the coniferous trees vs the barreness of the deciduous tree.

Thanks Tim, that's what caught my eyes.

lovely colours and tones in topical and a good take on the theme :)

Are you sure that tree is living? it looks a little ropey to me ;) In all seriousness i like the different types of foilage all mixed together (y)

I'm not sure about that tree either but it was ok last year.

Hi Stan .....super blue sky and green trees ....but I'd crop the brown tree from the left to the centre stem, to focus more attention on the living. I like your idea of the 'loss of youth freshness' ....it reminds me of myself :)

Have a lovely holiday.

Last edited:
Sorry, having a huge catch up !

Camo - like it, it fits the theme well and is well executed - also reminds me of the scene in star wars when they are in the rubbish crusher :D

Dangerous - simple and effective - the ice also gives an added sense of danger !

Topical - Fantastic back story and insight - lovely image lighting and tones too :)

Living World - nice image and definitely on theme - minor niggle is the slight halo where the blue meets the trees from the PP, but something im also hugely guilt of !

Thanks Jon for the catch-up comments, much appreciated.

Nice contrast ... living/dead.

Cheers David.

Hi Stan .....super blue sky and green trees ....but I'd crop the brown tree from the left to the centre stem, to focus more attention on the living. I like your idea of the 'loss of youth freshness' ....it reminds me of myself :)

Have a lovely holiday.

Thanks Susie, very valid critique and good point about cropping out more of the brown tree. Haha, I'm no youngster either.

Come across this abandoned tractor every time when we go to one of our favour taverna and always wanted to take a photo for this project. Luckily the Reshoot theme came out this week while I'm still in Cyprus.

Week 10 - Reshoot Abandoned

Week 10 Reshoot Abandoned by Stan, on Flickr

Spikey - I think the abstract nature of the second is very good, nice regular repeating pattern, well captured.

Abandoned reshoot - are you sure it's abandoned? I think I've see worse on the road:D Seriously though, good reshoot but perhaps a bit of a shame that the top of the exhaust is cropped.

Hi Stan.
Spiky - It may have been difficult getting a good shot, but I think you nailed it. The square crop suits the picture and it's nicely sharp.
Re-shoot - It certainly sells the abandoned theme :) The reds and greens are complimentary, it's all nicely in focus. Only slight issue is the cropping off of the exhaust. You may have intended it, but it feels accidental.

Spikey - I think the abstract nature of the second is very good, nice regular repeating pattern, well captured.

Abandoned reshoot - are you sure it's abandoned? I think I've see worse on the road:D Seriously though, good reshoot but perhaps a bit of a shame that the top of the exhaust is cropped.

Thanks Chris, I deliberately cropped close for the abstract feel and here's the very ordinarily original shot.

Week 10 Spiky 2o by Stan, on Flickr

Hi Stan.
Spiky - It may have been difficult getting a good shot, but I think you nailed it. The square crop suits the picture and it's nicely sharp.
Re-shoot - It certainly sells the abandoned theme :) The reds and greens are complimentary, it's all nicely in focus. Only slight issue is the cropping off of the exhaust. You may have intended it, but it feels accidental.

Cheers Tim for the comments. I thought I tried something different for the Spiky shots like close crop and square ratio. As for the Abandoned reshoot, the cut off of the exhaust is purely accidental. I was in a hurry to get back to the car because the heaven was just opening up as seen by the lack of blue sky. Yes it rains in Cyprus too.

Nice reshoot on abandoned, it certainly looks like it hasn't hand any TLC for a while

Spiky - I prefer the first with all the plant in, the stones give it a vortex kind of look

A couple of great shots for Spiky - I prefer the first, evenly lit and with that added interest of the pebbles. Spot on wit the square crop. Brilliant find for Abandoned - love that tractor with the rich rust colours and textures. Three excellent shots Stan. :clap:

Nice reshoot on abandoned, it certainly looks like it hasn't hand any TLC for a while

Spiky - I prefer the first with all the plant in, the stones give it a vortex kind of look

Thanks Ruth.

A couple of great shots for Spiky - I prefer the first, evenly lit and with that added interest of the pebbles. Spot on wit the square crop. Brilliant find for Abandoned - love that tractor with the rich rust colours and textures. Three excellent shots Stan. :clap:

Cheers Carl, pleased you like the shots. (y)

Back