weekly rpn's 52 Photo Challenge 2023 - Week 52 SHOWCASE Added and Complete

Great start to the 52. I love the colour and composition with a lovely leading line.

Reactions: rpn
That's a really lovely shot Stan; the colours in the sky, the reflections in the sea, the starbursts from the lights and the overall tones - your composition and exposure are spot on! :clap:
Good luck with your 52.

Thanks, Andrea for the nice words. I struggle a bit trying to get the White Balance correct for the artificial light reflection on the pavement and the natural light of the sky and water.

Nice atmospheric picture. Seems there is a little self-aggrandisement from someone in authority in that for nearly a thousand years it's had the same name and only recently someone thought they'd change the name.

Nice images, I like the use of long exposure too, good start. Good luck with the rest of the 52

Nice atmospheric picture. Seems there is a little self-aggrandisement from someone in authority in that for nearly a thousand years it's had the same name and only recently someone thought they'd change the name.

Thanks, Martin. I think it is the trend nowadays for a company to change its name just for the sick of it, and the so-called executive probably gets paid thousands for it. Anyway, it is still harbour to me. I just can't imagine saying to the wife 'just going down to the port to take some photography.'

Thanks, Andrea for the nice words. I struggle a bit trying to get the White Balance correct for the artificial light reflection on the pavement and the natural light of the sky and water.

I think you have balanced the warm and the cold tones perfectly - it looks spot on to me! :)

Continuous on from last week's image subject. This is the harbour extension project just south of the current facility. A £400m construction project, one of the largest marine infrastructure project underway in the UK, started back in 2017 and it is still incomplete. However, 60% of the development is operational, with more than 25 vessels berthed during a ‘soft start’ back in July '22.

Week 02 - Incomplete

Construction by Stan, on Flickr

Interesting pair of pix there Stan :)

I particularly like the water in the first one

Area: Tremendous. Stunning composition.

Incomplete : Great shots, however I think the second one delivers on the theme better.

Great shots Stan. That's a hell of a work in progress!

(Week 1) Stunning light, colours and textures. Overall a lovely image.

Area: Tremendous. Stunning composition.

Incomplete : Great shots, however I think the second one delivers on the theme better.

Thank you, David. My thought too about #2 as it shows the harbour is in operation but still works to be completed. I picked #1 for my main post as it shows it is a big project.

Great shots Stan. That's a hell of a work in progress!

Thanks, Simon. One of the reason it took over 5 years to complete only 60% of the work is because the original main contractor, a Spanish company Dragados, just walked out 2 years ago and claimed the project is 100% complete! :oops: :$

Incomplete? Looks like 'hardly started'!! :) Liking the repetion of the two cranes and plenty to look at all the way thorugh the frame.

Nice images Stan, I think that I like the second one the best. Any idea of when it will be completed?

Two lovely, interesting shots there Stan. The first shows what a huge project it is, though I prefer the second for the close up detail.

The first image works better for me as I find the ship kind of 'gets in the way'. That's a very big construction site!

Incomplete? Looks like 'hardly started'!! :) Liking the repetion of the two cranes and plenty to look at all the way thorugh the frame.

Thanks, Graham. Yes still plenty of work outstanding. However, one of the quays is complete and in operation.

Nice images Stan, I think that I like the second one the best. Any idea of when it will be completed?

Thanks, Bill. The scheduled completion is Q2 2023.

Two lovely, interesting shots there Stan. The first shows what a huge project it is, though I prefer the second for the close up detail.

The first image works better for me as I find the ship kind of 'gets in the way'. That's a very big construction site!

Thank you, Pete and Jim.

Number 1 for me as well, presumably the Spanish company did not paid in full or is still being decided in courts.

Interesting image and more impressive than my little bridge... nice one.

Another major project in my city is the upgrade/refurbishment of the city centre gardens, first built back in 1879. A main feature of the upgrade is a 'diamond ring' light halo, supported by three large pylons, above the centre lawn area. This image was taken earlier this evening during the 'blue hour'. Luckily I've also managed to capture the Juxtaposition technique with the old and new buildings in the background.

Week 03 Artificial + Juxtaposition Technique

Artificial Sun by Stan, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like the second, almost as if the artificial sun is lighting the face of the buildings. Lovely light there, and the color of sky is nice to see.

Did you consider a slightly tighter crop to lose the trees on the right?

I like the second, almost as if the artificial sun is lighting the face of the buildings. Lovely light there, and the color of sky is nice to see.

Did you consider a slightly tighter crop to lose the trees on the right?

Thanks, Graham. Well, no. I was more concerned with my own safety. The temperature here has barely been above freezing in the past few days. Roads and pavement are very slippery. The paths around the gradens are frozen solid I even have to be careful where I put down the tripod legs.

I'm thinking the structure looks an ideal candidate for someone trying to land something on top of it!
I like the second one best, it has an optical illusion look to it where you can't work out the orientation of the halo.

I'm thinking the structure looks an ideal candidate for someone trying to land something on top of it!
I like the second one best, it has an optical illusion look to it where you can't work out the orientation of the halo.

Cheers, Stuart. Don't give them any ideas and I'm sure sooner or later there'll be old pairs of trainers dangling off it like those from tree branches and lamp posts.

The composition of the main interest* in both of those looks good to me, and there is a nice colour balance in both.

* I agree with a possible crop of the trees in the second but think it needs the pylon for some context so a fine line.

The composition of the main interest* in both of those looks good to me, and there is a nice colour balance in both.

* I agree with a possible crop of the trees in the second but think it needs the pylon for some context so a fine line.

Excellent comments there and very good points regarding the support pylon for context. The halo light (artificial sun) would look a bit weird in mid air.

Two good images Stan, not sure which I prefer. I do like the POV of the second one.

Back