Seaodyssey's 2022 Fifty Two (Critique Welcome) Week52 Showcase

I could have used a smaller aperature, it looked ok in the tiny evf, but I had not recently cleaned my glasses.:cool:
Most of my entries are taken while walking Dudley <<---- so I do not take my nikon kit out, the gx80 and lens just about fits in a pocket.:D
I know what you mean - a lot of mine are chance shots when doing fairly regular local walks. I've recently bought a Sony RX100vi just for that (and trips abroad when we can get back to it) when I don't want to be carrying my Fuji kit and other bits

You had a VDU, not Punch Card or Paper tape, those really where the days

Great picture and hits the theme, like others have said I might have cropped the top a little bit but that's just me :)

Week7 Heavy

Week 07 Heavy 2 by Peter Dyson, on Flickr

Heavy Counterweights on Overhead power lines. Looks like it does not like the compression Flickr gives it, the angle of some of the lines gives it a saw tooth appearance. It is What it is.

Pete

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
That works nicely for the theme. That gantry will weigh a bit too!

Week7 Heavy

Week 07 Heavy 2 by Peter Dyson, on Flickr

Heavy Counterweights on Overhead power lines. Looks like it does not like the compression Flickr gives it, the angle of some of the lines gives it a saw tooth appearance. It is What it is.

Pete

As you say, the compression Flickr adds when it's allowed to do its own resizing does the shot no favours! Might be worth trying to resize it yourself to the pixel dimensions needed here before uploading to Flickr and using the already resized shot here.

Like the shot and concept though.

The whole construction looks heavy, not just the counterweights. A good fit for the theme.

As you say, the compression Flickr adds when it's allowed to do its own resizing does the shot no favours! Might be worth trying to resize it yourself to the pixel dimensions needed here before uploading to Flickr and using the already resized shot here.

Like the shot and concept though.
I do actually save it to Flickr at the required size 1024 on the long side. When I view using windows photo the same image is smaller than the same one shown in firefox. There must be some other resizing going on.

Looks tasty. The red gives a good background and better defines the ice and liquid - I might have been tempted to clone out the red bar on the right.... if I could be bothered :LOL: Is it a chair and table?
The reflections make it look like it's an outside venue on a lovely day.

I hope it tasted as good as it looks :)

Edit: I just noticed your 'Light' image - lovely sunset with a good sky. Are those people on the beach? It must have been shot from quite a distance?

Last edited:
Nice one Pete. Got both parts of the challenge in one.

My kind of damp!

I think a plainer background would have helped you.

Looks tasty. The red gives a good background and better defines the ice and liquid - I might have been tempted to clone out the red bar on the right.... if I could be bothered :LOL: Is it a chair and table?
The reflections make it look like it's an outside venue on a lovely day.

I hope it tasted as good as it looks :)

Edit: I just noticed your 'Light' image - lovely sunset with a good sky. Are those people on the beach? It must have been shot from quite a distance?
Thanks Bebop, yes it was taken outside at a cafe in Portugal, the red is table and chair. SWMBO liked it, and another one as well.

Re the Sunset, yes they are people on the beach, taken from a 5th floor hotel room.

My kind of damp!

I think a plainer background would have helped you.
Thanks Paul, I did move the glass but lost the reflection, the area was built up and only that part had sunlight on it.
I like taking photos as they are.

Pete

Thanks Bebop, yes it was taken outside at a cafe in Portugal, the red is table and chair. SWMBO liked it, and another one as well.

Re the Sunset, yes they are people on the beach, taken from a 5th floor hotel room.
Ooh I am quite jealous - I do love Portugal.

Beautiful huge beach then, the people are such little dots. Enjoy!

Both Light and Damp images are nice. Lovely colours captured in both.

Heavy - I've walked past many of those structures when I've been trackside, although today was the first time I've seen a red bond which you give a wide berth too as they carry the traction return current!! With the different configurations of wiring and structures there is always interesting images to captures. I can imagine its quite a complicated process to tension the wires.

Light - A nice soothing sunset with nicely defined areas of the images

Damp - I like the reflection of the buildings adding some information about the environment the photo has been taken in. Seeing the ice go from sharp above the gin line to out of focus below adds to the overall image.

Interesting take on the theme :)

Heavy - I've walked past many of those structures when I've been trackside, although today was the first time I've seen a red bond which you give a wide berth too as they carry the traction return current!! With the different configurations of wiring and structures there is always interesting images to captures. I can imagine its quite a complicated process to tension the wires.

Light - A nice soothing sunset with nicely defined areas of the images

Damp - I like the reflection of the buildings adding some information about the environment the photo has been taken in. Seeing the ice go from sharp above the gin line to out of focus below adds to the overall image.
I thought that the return would be in the rails.

Thank you for your detailed comments.

Pete

That's a nice take on damp. The reflections really add interest.

Nice image Pete. On theme & on tech.
The sun isn't above the yardarm yet so it's a little too early to try one ... or maybe not

Back