Sirch 52 in 2018, third time lucky, week 52, Showcase

An interesting subject indeed and my first thought was outside toilets but then again I can't see any pipeworks going into it. I like the mono colour and the high contrast with strong shadows.
I like it in black and white. It's got pretty much the full range of tones. Those couple of clouds also help with the righthand side.
Thanks both

That looks quite claustrophobic, perfect theme wise for me, extreme selfies that's the way to go

That looks quite claustrophobic, perfect theme wise for me, extreme selfies that's the way to go

Wow!
Superbly lit, love the textures on the rocks - such detail - a compelling image indeed.

Thanks both, we really didn't get very far into the cave on Saturday because it was throwing it down and water levels where too high but this location was a lucky find for the theme. TBH I wasn't keen on spending too long under there and it looks more unstable in the photo lit by flash than I thought :eek:

I wonder how many years it's been like that.
Was it you that posted a few cave shots quite some time ago?
Lighting has worked well. I'm going to guess it was hidden behind that central rock, it gives a strong light, which I think suits this image.

A bit of tight squeeze in there and looks a bit dangerous too with that slab of rock already snapped in two. An extreme selfie indeed.
Thanks Stan.

I wonder how many years it's been like that.
Was it you that posted a few cave shots quite some time ago?
Lighting has worked well. I'm going to guess it was hidden behind that central rock, it gives a strong light, which I think suits this image.

Thanks, yes I've posted one or two caving shots in the past. If you look at it large on flickr you will see that the surface in the crack in the slab is scalloped like the rest of the rock surfaces and the scallops are caused by turbulence in the water as it flows through, so my guess is that it has been like that for quite some time, hundreds or thousands of years.

In terms of lighting, yes the flash is behind the rock, my helmet light is lighting the foreground, that's why I'm not wearing it.

Hi Chris,
Two very different ideas for Lost - the first is a decent action shot but doesn't shout 'lost' to me, whereas I do like the composition and areas of light in the second image that conveys that meaning o'f 'lost' very effectively.
The gnarled and twisted tree is a great find for 'Monstrous' - the low POV adds to the sense of size and highlights the twisted branches against the sky, and B&W is the right choice to bring out the shapes. As Dominic said, that's a location to return to when there is mist around.
Balance(d) - what an interesting location and again perfect for B&W to bring out the textures and light on the different surfaces.
Crush - the ideal location, with a great range of textures and tones. Well done for getting down there - it can't have been comfortable in more ways than one!

Hi Chris,
Two very different ideas for Lost - the first is a decent action shot but doesn't shout 'lost' to me, whereas I do like the composition and areas of light in the second image that conveys that meaning o'f 'lost' very effectively.
The gnarled and twisted tree is a great find for 'Monstrous' - the low POV adds to the sense of size and highlights the twisted branches against the sky, and B&W is the right choice to bring out the shapes. As Dominic said, that's a location to return to when there is mist around.
Balance(d) - what an interesting location and again perfect for B&W to bring out the textures and light on the different surfaces.
Crush - the ideal location, with a great range of textures and tones. Well done for getting down there - it can't have been comfortable in more ways than one!
Thanks for taking the time Andrea, appreciate it. I'm quite at home in caves so not too uncomfortable :)

Both good, I do really like the colour in the second shot, not sure if I would have cropped a bit from the top so the road just disappears out of the frame, probably just me though

Two awesome shots there!

Great minds indeed Chris....but why did you have to make yours better than mine!? :dummy:
Very nicely done, and a great sense of speed....you weren't driving were you?

I like the second one too.
The fact that they are 'short-ish' trails (I realise you were probably pushing the blue hour for exposure times) give it a somewhat 'frantic' feel....which is certainly appropriate for this time of year!
Very nicely done and a terrific stretch of road....perfect for light trails.

(y)

Both good, I do really like the colour in the second shot, not sure if I would have cropped a bit from the top so the road just disappears out of the frame, probably just me though
Thanks Allan, I did think of cropping the top but it felt a bit tight so I left it uncropped, looking at it again though you are probably right.

Two awesome shots there!

Great minds indeed Chris....but why did you have to make yours better than mine!? :dummy:
Very nicely done, and a great sense of speed....you weren't driving were you?

I like the second one too.
The fact that they are 'short-ish' trails (I realise you were probably pushing the blue hour for exposure times) give it a somewhat 'frantic' feel....which is certainly appropriate for this time of year!
Very nicely done and a terrific stretch of road....perfect for light trails.

(y)
Thanks Gareth, I thought yours was better TBH. As you say it was blue hour so 1 to 2 seconds exposure and there just wasn't enough traffic to get continuous trails, next time may be :)

Love both shots. The simple minimal first with just two cars going opposite direction but plenty of motion movement. The composition and the S curves of the second, however, I would like more continuous of the light trails.
Thanks Stan, I agree about the continuous trails.

Second shot for me Chris, I think due to the colour.
Thanks Tim.

Chris

Balance, interesting, must be a reason that the shed is balaced where it is. Lots of detail and good contrast in the image.

Crushed - looks like your nuts could also be crushed. Lots of lovely details and the lighting is very good.

Motion - I think we all tried these sort of photos out for this week, I have plenty in my camera as well. 2nd one is better to fit the theme, nice curve in the road adds to the effect.

Pete

Crush(ed)
This is something that I could not do. Well done for getting the camera set up and a good selfie too.

Motion

I really like the second shot, but the first has appeal too. A good depiction of motion blur.

Similar in feel to Dom's 'Crushed' shot. Lovely warm Christmasy feel to it :)
Nicely lit :)
My only crit would be that the bokeh isn't round. I've no idea what the 50mm 1.8 usually does (mine sits in the box most of the time now as I use the Fuji over the Canons) but surely it would normally be round? Dunno...
Still, it's only a slight thing which doesn't spoil the shot.

Super shot, excellent composition with great colours and I love the DoF....nice bokeh!

Proof that in skilled hands, the humble nifty fifty can produce quality images! (y)
I must get hold of one soon....forgot to ask Santa this year!!:D
Thanks Gareth you are too kind, I do like the 50 for shots indoors shots.

Similar in feel to Dom's 'Crushed' shot. Lovely warm Christmasy feel to it :)
Nicely lit :)
My only crit would be that the bokeh isn't round. I've no idea what the 50mm 1.8 usually does (mine sits in the box most of the time now as I use the Fuji over the Canons) but surely it would normally be round? Dunno...
Still, it's only a slight thing which doesn't spoil the shot.
Thanks Tim, I don't know why the bokeh isn't round, the only thing I can think is that the lights themselves are not round.

Great shot for party Chris, like the colours and bokeh and think its a great shot.
Thanks Dave

A lovely candlelit shot. I love those delicious bokeh in the background
Thanks Stan

....I don't know why the bokeh isn't round, the only thing I can think is that the lights themselves are not round.

I've read that it's a quirk of the nifty fifty...the bokeh balls are circular at the centre, and gradually become rugby ball shaped towards the edges.
I believe it's related to the shape and number of the aperture blades
Just FYI :)

I've read that it's a quirk of the nifty fifty...the bokeh balls are circular at the centre, and gradually become rugby ball shaped towards the edges.
I believe it's related to the shape and number of the aperture blades
Just FYI :)
Thanks, that makes sense looking at the photo above

Chris

Another well composed Image for this weeks theme. Love the details and the OOF Background. Lighting fits theimage perfectly

Pete

Two strong images for Motion there, Chris. The first works very well, but scrolling down to the second shot that becomes an instant favourite. It's something I want to try but we don't have a suitable road here. I think the multitude of coloured trails suggest speed and movement and although they are both spot on for the theme I do really like #2.

That's a good idea for Party; I was expecting a lot of Christmassy images so not only is it a pleasant change but the warm light and the bokeh are really lovely. Composition spot on too (y)

Chris

Another well composed Image for this weeks theme. Love the details and the OOF Background. Lighting fits theimage perfectly

Pete

Two strong images for Motion there, Chris. The first works very well, but scrolling down to the second shot that becomes an instant favourite. It's something I want to try but we don't have a suitable road here. I think the multitude of coloured trails suggest speed and movement and although they are both spot on for the theme I do really like #2.

That's a good idea for Party; I was expecting a lot of Christmassy images so not only is it a pleasant change but the warm light and the bokeh are really lovely. Composition spot on too (y)

lovely light which gives it a nice cozy feel

Thanks all.

I always find it tough choosing from my own images, I've had a look through the year and can find fault with all of them nut i'm going to go with this since it seems to sort of sum up a lot of the things I've shot for the 52 this year.

An abundance of buns :)

Buns by Chris H, on Flickr

Happy new year to you and yours (y)

Last edited:
Fab buns! And a good choice of flour :D

Oh - and how did I miss Party? GREAT shot!

Fab buns! And a good choice of flour :D
Oh - and how did I miss Party? GREAT shot!
Thanks Dave, my favourite white bread flour :)

Great image to finish the year Chris, perfectly shot, great use of Dof, crisp detail....what's more to be said....it's fab!....I'm hungry!
:D

Congratulations for finishing the 52, see you in the 52 for 2019, Happy New Year! :)
Thanks Gareth, I've decided to give it a miss next year as I find the need to get the weekly shot distracts me from doing some other things. After 3 years on the trot with a more-or-less on theme shot taken and posted in the correct week, I think I need a break.

Back