Sirch 52 in 2018, third time lucky, week 52, Showcase

Bumper bonus week this week, first up an OS bench mark on the Trig pillar at Hutton Roof Crags

IMG_0145-edit by Chris H, on Flickr

I don't often find the motivation for re-shoots but since is this is the last ever I thought I'd do two! First is the filthy shot I was going to do last week, it turned out to be a bit of a pig to light well.
IMG_0234 by Chris H, on Flickr

Second up is a reshoot of shadows, I did a very similar shot for the FPOTY and wasn't quite happy with that so this is a digital reshoot, there is still room for improvement but not bad
IMG_0039 by Chris H, on Flickr

Really like the one for mark very nice B+W good range of tones

Two good reshoots I remember the film version of shadows, in my head it was the same shot, must go back and have another look.

Really like the one for mark very nice B+W good range of tones

Two good reshoots I remember the film version of shadows, in my head it was the same shot, must go back and have another look.

B&W Mark image for me Chris, very nice composition and just right for the theme also like shadows fun re-shoot.

Thanks guys.

It might not be exactly 'Filthy' but the bottle on the beach is a timely image and the very low POV works extremely well. Fantastic sky, too.
Mark is a good idea for the theme and the low POV serves well to draw the eye straight to the stone and the grass before sweeping up to the moody sky. Good use of B&W, too.
The Filthy re-shoot is probably more 'on theme' and it's effective and well captured. After the torrential rain we had for three days solid, I expect I could find one like that just outside our house!
I love the Shadows reshoot and I remember admiring your previous image too - very clever and a really striking image :clap:

Mark
Nice pov and a good black and white.

Re-shoot 1
Looks good to me.

Re-shoot 2
It's pretty good, if I was going to suggest anything, it would be to make a bit of an arc/curve with the paper cut outs.

It might not be exactly 'Filthy' but the bottle on the beach is a timely image and the very low POV works extremely well. Fantastic sky, too.
Mark is a good idea for the theme and the low POV serves well to draw the eye straight to the stone and the grass before sweeping up to the moody sky. Good use of B&W, too.
The Filthy re-shoot is probably more 'on theme' and it's effective and well captured. After the torrential rain we had for three days solid, I expect I could find one like that just outside our house!
I love the Shadows reshoot and I remember admiring your previous image too - very clever and a really striking image :clap:
Thanks Andrea

Mark
Nice pov and a good black and white.

Re-shoot 1
Looks good to me.

Re-shoot 2
It's pretty good, if I was going to suggest anything, it would be to make a bit of an arc/curve with the paper cut outs.
Thanks Dominic

Hi Chris,

Filthy - Despite being a rubbish shot ;) you've caught some great vibrant colours there. Helped no-doubt by strong winter light conditions I feel. Suits it nicely.
Mark - The mono processing is very moody, especially with the sky you've included. The range of tone is excellent too.

Hi Chris,

Filthy - Despite being a rubbish shot ;) you've caught some great vibrant colours there. Helped no-doubt by strong winter light conditions I feel. Suits it nicely.
Mark - The mono processing is very moody, especially with the sky you've included. The range of tone is excellent too.
Thanks Tim

A couple again this week. Lost the ball
Q04A9677 by TheWub, on Flickr

And I'm putting this in even though others have done similar for this theme and it's a bit inevitable at this time of year because the light really worked today
PB180020 by TheWub, on Flickr

Two good takes on lost!

First one nice action shot and they are well isolated so no distractions the light in the second one is hitting the right spots but because its different the first one works for me

Chris

Mark, I like the gritty feel to this image, nice details in those clouds, nice tones in B&W. Top Notch.

Flithy, clean your car mate. On theme and clean, filthy line is on 3rds just abouts so all well there.

Reshoot of shadows, can't argue about the shadows, I supposed I would have liked all of the shadows to be crisp but I'm not sure if that is possible.

Lost, Rugby, looks like he is going down. It is very static looking. everything else looks good.
Memorial, Nice image with the memorial and flag in the sunlight and giving good balance to the image. Nice colours.

Pete

Two good takes on lost!

First one nice action shot and they are well isolated so no distractions the light in the second one is hitting the right spots but because its different the first one works for me

Two great shots for the theme, my choice is the 2nd as the light hitting the poppies is great.

Chris

Mark, I like the gritty feel to this image, nice details in those clouds, nice tones in B&W. Top Notch.

Flithy, clean your car mate. On theme and clean, filthy line is on 3rds just abouts so all well there.

Reshoot of shadows, can't argue about the shadows, I supposed I would have liked all of the shadows to be crisp but I'm not sure if that is possible.

Lost, Rugby, looks like he is going down. It is very static looking. everything else looks good.
Memorial, Nice image with the memorial and flag in the sunlight and giving good balance to the image. Nice colours.

Pete

Two good takes on the theme, I prefer the first for the timing and the isolation from other players.

Thanks all.

@seaodyssey I agree about it looking a bit static but last time I posted a rugby shot I seem to recall there being some comments about it being soft because of motion blur :) The thing is that you can't pan, they are dodging about all over the place and often moving faster than the ball so with too slow a shutter speed everything is just blurred.

Lost
The rugby shot is well caught, with the ball in mid air.
Your second shot also looks good and I can see why you've included it. The light really does highlight the right areas.

Lost
The rugby shot is well caught, with the ball in mid air.
Your second shot also looks good and I can see why you've included it. The light really does highlight the right areas.
Thanks Dominic

I'm with Allan on this Chris. It's not a "lost souls" from the war shot, so I think it's better for that, and it is a good action shot. You can tell what's going on, you have the lad in mid air, the ball is in shot and it's all nicely sharp :)

I'm with Allan on this Chris. It's not a "lost souls" from the war shot, so I think it's better for that, and it is a good action shot. You can tell what's going on, you have the lad in mid air, the ball is in shot and it's all nicely sharp :)
Thanks Tim

Thats quite an amazing shape, I take it its windy up there, although looking at the other trees :thinking: its a bit "evil dead" I like it

As Allan says Chris, that's some weird shaped tree. Presumably the prevailing wind...
The angle of the horizon and the wall work to converge your eye on the tree, so it is very focal, and the mono works well giving it an eerie feeling.

Thats quite an amazing shape, I take it its windy up there, although looking at the other trees :thinking: its a bit "evil dead" I like it
As Allan says Chris, that's some weird shaped tree. Presumably the prevailing wind...
The angle of the horizon and the wall work to converge your eye on the tree, so it is very focal, and the mono works well giving it an eerie feeling.

Thanks both. The rest of the trees around there aren't odd shapes so I don't think it's the prevailing wind, my guess would be that it got damaged at some point in it's life.

Super shot that I think can only work in B&W - very nice.
I'm imagining the tendril-like branches are 'reaching' for freedom over the wall - clever framing.
Thanks Gareth, you are right about the B&W

Monstrous
Looks great, it has a really spooky feel. A foggy day would really help to give it more spookiness.

Chris

Monstrous, Nice tree, good capture, B&W suits it. Agree with what others have said.

Pete

Nice, lots of crisp detail and great contrast.
Very interesting interpretation, and definitely apropos

Not sure I'd want to be 'busy' in that tiny outhouse 'balanced' out there on that wall!!!:D
(If it is indeed an outhouse!)

Nice one Chris, like it been in mono and really like the shadow coming across.

Interesting object to find halfway up a wall, well spotted

That is an interesting building isn't it.
I'm sitting here wondering what the colour version would be like, with perhaps the shadows lifted to reveal more detail.

Thanks all, the building is an old mill next to the Hepworth in Wakefield. My guess is that the beam is for a gantry crane and the little shed was there to protect the crane gear from the elements and may be protect the operator too. The main building is dull red brick the shed and iron work black, so not a lot of colour in the colour version @LC2

I like it in black and white. It's got pretty much the full range of tones. Those couple of clouds also help with the righthand side.

Back