The Takes On challenge 2019 Discussion

Well, in my defence no one was pestering.

Ah .... the element of surprise :)

All quiet on the western front, eerily quiet. :confused:

Chris @sirch et al .... I'm wondering if we should slacken things somewhat. Maybe try simple - yet interesting & fun - noun words ...

Take on a Car - March '17 .... 89 replies! Many of which were taken from posters archives (I do believe).

Hmmmmmmmmmmm .... :thinking:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm .... :thinking:
Indeed.

Kind of an existential question, is it a monthly challenge as in “take a photo during the month” or is it a “show us your photos on a given theme” challenge. As you say a lot of people were using it to show off their archive shots rather than taking new photos for the theme. Would it help if we picked and announced all the monthly themes for the rest of the year so people could shoot when they have the opportunity and then post in the relevant month?

I have to say that this year I have really lost my mojo for shooting to a set theme, I don’t know why, I used to enjoy the challenge of a theme but not so much anymore.

I confess, I had forgotten about this challenge. The weather has been unremarkable for me, which is what I think of for elements. I will see if I can get something.

Actually I took something yesterday, which may work, though I didn't do it with 'elements' in mind.... but you don't all know that :LOL:

edit: btw I like the idea of having to shoot it in the month of the theme. It's what makes me try and think about the photograph to compose, even if I haven't done that this month.

Last edited:
I tend to foget about it too, especially if no one else is posting and I'm not getting alerts. It's not the kind of thing I like to do but may be a weekly post in here and in the theme thread to trigger an alert would help?

It certainly lacks the drive and momentum of the weekly challenge.

Hmmmmmmmm .... :thinking:

OK ideas are cheap, implementing them is the hard part but...

How about a different monthly challenge run along the lines of the 52, each person has their own thread for images and comments with a main thread to post images only and link back to the personal thread. BUT you pick your own theme, and that could be one theme for the year or a different theme every month, optionally you could choose themes from the exiting list. You can choose to post archive shots or new photos each month. In short, write yourself a brief and aim to post something at least each month. We could have a league table updated each month as a bit of an incentive and tut loudly at people who post but don’t comment, also at least monthly a reminder what a bunch of slackers we all are?

Or is it just that this challenge always takes a nose-dive in the summer months :thinking:

Afraid I'm one of the slackers this month even though I've post on average about 4 shots in each of the previous months. I've visitors staying with us in the last few weeks and just can't find the time to go out to take my usual amount of photos.

I like the setup as is with all images, critiques and comments in one thread as you can view and comment in one post rather than jumping back and fore to different people's thread.

I like the setup as is with all images, critiques and comments in one thread as you can view and comment in one post rather than jumping back and fore to different people's thread.
Yes I quite like it all being in one thread too - makes it easier to 'catch up'
I tend to foget about it too, especially if no one else is posting and I'm not getting alerts. It's not the kind of thing I like to do but may be a weekly post in here and in the theme thread to trigger an alert would help?
I'm going to make a point of getting email notifications in future on these threads. Hopefully that will help me remember.

I get emails without asking!

We miss you Stan!

I don't know what the answer is. I don't know what the question is! Maybe don't change a thing. Maybe I'll regain my appetite for it, and others too. :p

So what's the theme for June.....? I could have used some of todays shots for elements - it was raining on the KWVR in Haworth.....

Sorry folks I've been in Snowdonia snapping away in the rain all weekend, I'll try to remember to sort out a theme tomorrow. Feel free to remind me !

Thanks for the reminder I had completely forgotten. How about Handmade

... halfway through the month already :runaway:

I've had a couple of ideas for Handmade ... but got nothing worth posting. Back to the drawing board ...

I have to say I've struggled so far this month to come up with anything......

Well it's taken a few weeks, literally! but I got there in the end. The original looks a bit better than this scan, I had a few issues with colour balancing the negative but anyway. Originals are HP5 shot with a MPP Mirco-technical and a 120 back, that film was hand developed and then these were contact printed on to hand coated cyanotype paper. Those prints were mounted and shot with a Bronica SQ-A on Portra 400 wich as "hand" developed in Fuji Express C41.

triptych by Chris H, on Flickr
Wow! These are rather special!

I've just realised this is the discussion thread - and not for posting your photos @sirch

Last edited:
They're still special wherever they are! I've seen a few cyanotype things on instagram, but I'm pretty sure they were digital really. Would love to be a fly on the wall to see the process.
You get the prize for effort!

Last edited:
They're still special wherever they are! I've seen a few cyanotype things on instagram, but I'm pretty sure they were digital really. Would love to be a fly on the wall to see the process.
You get the prize for effort!
Thanks it's not that hard, the things to watch are getting the right paper and getting a high contrast negative to print from, I bought the chemcials on line and there are a few good websites that give the details.

OMG it's August already :runaway:

I'll put a theme up later

Yeah well, when the organiser doesn't even know what month it is :banghead: it's not har do miss a month or two :)

Back