weekly Tilly's 52 for 2020 Week 15 Snappers Choice and 16 First Initial

Nicely composed image Tillly good use of the track to lead you into the images with a bonus discarded item by the puddle too

Great shot for the discarded, I think that would suit a B&W conversion.

Thanks Rick. I tried a black and white conversion but didn't like how it looks so went with the colour version. I convert most of shots to black and white as I normally prefer how they look

Week 5 Snappers Choice + Technique
I've never tried to shoot a silhouette before and it was nice to try. I'll definately think about using the technique in the future if the shot calls for it. I didn't want to make it too dark as I liked the texture of the bricks. It's a shame the wind wasn't blowing in a different direction but i waited a while and the direction arrow didn't move
Week 5 Snappers Choice + Technique by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've ticked off the technique, but it's not really a silhouette as you can see the detail in the brickwork.
You could probably pp it by crushing the blacks, but I can see from your commentary that it was a deliberate choice to retain the texture of the brickwork.
(I'm setting myself up for a massive fail now, as I haven't bothered with the technique yet ;) )

Discarded - the track doe lead you into the image well

Free week - I do like a weather vane.

Fits the technique perfectly with the weather vane being just an outline with a featureless interior also makes a very good picture, nice first attempt at a silhouette.

Nice image, good for the theme and I think I agree with you about trying to leave texture in the brickwork as it adds just enough detail to make it a more interesting composition.

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys, roll on the next theme :)

Nice choice of subject for a sillhouette... I did the same and left some texture in the blacks.

I think the weather vane is enough in silhouette and I like that there's still detail in the bricks.

I think you just got the silhouette in the weather vane, it works when you have the small detail in the brickwork. How does it look in the colour version?

I'll post the colour version for you to have a look at

I've just had a look at the raw file Rick and a colour version wouldn't work as I'd under exposed the image to get the building darker. I can take another shot of it it you want to see it in colour as it's just outside my house

I've just had a look at the raw file Rick and a colour version wouldn't work as I'd under exposed the image to get the building darker. I can take another shot of it it you want to see it in colour as it's just outside my house
Hi,

No need to go to any trouble :)

Week 6 Wild & Week 7 Broken
For Wild I wanted to get a shot of the bad weather we've been having and I wish I'd bought the camera cover I'd been looking at the other week so I could venture out in the rain and get a shot without damaging my camera. I had to make do with standing on my windowsill and taking the shot through the open window. I processed it in both colour and b&w and prefered how the b&w image looked, the colours of the cars drew the eye more than I liked.
I made use of the bad weather again for Broken. I couldn't resist getting a shot of this car surrounded by water. Its at my local golf driving range thats ony a couple of fields away from the river. I'm sure the car was fine before all the rain bar the dents from golf balls but I'm not sure how well it will have done stood in all that water.
Both shots were taken using my Sony Nex-5 with the Sony E 55-210 OSS lens.
Week 6 Wild by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Week 7 Broken by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Two nice shots. They should probbakyt knock a zero off that price :)

Wild
A good b&w, you can see how wet it is. I would like to have seen some movement in the trees.

A pretty good composition for Broken, I would have cropped the grass out, but I can understand why you have kept it in.

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys. Fingers crossed theses storms go away so I can go out and take a none water related shot for the next theme. Well unless the theme is water lol

Wild works well for the theme nice B&W conversion too

Broken - yes it certainly looks well and truly broken

Wild and broken are 2 good shots, extra marks for linking them :)

Wild - I agree the b/w suits it.
Broken - looks like they were playing car quidditch when they flooded the engine

Like you broken shot, good composition.

Week 8 Ability
I stuggled thinking of something for this theme but on my way to pick my camera up after being repaired in Leeds today I saw this building and decided on Ability to stand out. Its a shame there were so many lamp posts in the way but there was only one that was right in front of the building but I stuggled to remove it so decided to leave it rather than spoil the image
Week 8 Ability by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Week 8 Ability
I stuggled thinking of something for this theme but on my way to pick my camera up after being repaired in Leeds today I saw this building and decided on Ability to stand out. Its a shame there were so many lamp posts in the way but there was only one that was right in front of the building but I stuggled to remove it so decided to leave it rather than spoil the image
Week 8 Ability by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
That is indeed a remarkable building - I love the colours you've got in this!

Thanks for the comments guys. I might have to take a closer look at this building when I'm next in Leeds. It was nice to have some blue sky to add more colour to the image, if it had been a cloudy day I might have gone for a b&w conversion when processing.

Nice subject for the image there, I think many of us have found the theme a difficult one. Well spotted.

It does indeed stand out, great colour and unusual shape

Back