weekly DK's 52 of 2015 - wk 52 'Christmas' added - FINISHED

Hey Dean.... First one for me, the reeds in the second one aren't as perky. Like the windmill too, adds and extra interest to a calming scene -nice![emoji4]
Cheers Ferg :)

First one does it for me too. The direction of the reids lead you to the windmill very well. Great composition :)
Thanks Rob, you're right about the reeds I tried a shot with the mill on the left and it just didn't work for me either :)

Two beautiful photographs. I prefer the windmill shot but like the more interesting foreground of the second
Cheers Stan :)

Yeah sometimes you just wish things were in a different place :)

Yeah, you need to take a step ladder....PPPPPP, and all that ;)
Yeah thanks :D

I like them both, lovely warm light and the detail in the FG reeds.
Cheers mate :)

Just read about forgetting your filters. Oops.

You did well without them, though.

Cheers.
Thanks again Andy :)

Windmill, definitely the windmill. I can hear the wind through the reeds and smell the moss... beautiful.

Karl
Many thanks Karl :)

Windmill for my Dean

Like the Pov, Nice colours in the reeds.
Cheers Darren :)

windmill for me too DK - love the way the reeds are.
Cheers Mich :)

Scenic - two cracking images for the theme, I love them both no crit from me.
Ahhh thanks Mandy :)

First image for me. Although i would have preferred the sky from second image, nothing that can be done about that, its a case of what was there at the time. gives a sense of warmth in the depths of winter.
Thanks too to the other Mandy :)

Yeah the sky in the other did have a lot more blue in it, it vanished pretty quick, made a sharp exit in the end as it began to look like rain... not even good stormy clouds type rain to make staying worth the getting wet either :D
(I am still here by the way but getting out is the problem at the moment, may resort to an old image but do not really want to do that.)
Glad you are still here and thanks for spending the time popping in... and that goes to all too :)

Right and to get my shots up to date here I have my next image...

Was having all sorts of ideas for this theme, but whilst down the local river getting my Scenic shot I decided to get my shots up to date and tried a few things here too, I narrowed it down to this final image, I got a few birds together, flying and in the water, but I liked the formation of these ducks and the interest of the background.

What would I change, well I would certainly like a better sky but hey, can't have it all my own way :D so here it is...

Week 4 - flying 'Companions'

Wk 4 - Companions by TP DK, on Flickr

Ello again Dean[emoji16]
Great shot for companions - those birds really pop out! As for the sky.... Bright Blue sky and fluffy clouds are over rated anyway [emoji23][emoji23]

Ello again Dean[emoji16]
Great shot for companions - those birds really pop out! As for the sky....
Thanks Ferg :)

Bright Blue sky and fluffy clouds are over rated anyway [emoji23][emoji23]
Aren't they just :(

I'm sure they would just ruin my shot :LOL:

HI DK, excellent choice for the theme, even better for getting them all above the tree line and in formation, sky is good for me anything else I feel would distract from the birds

As for crit maybe a crop off the left they are a little to forward in the frame maybe

The windmill pic for scenic is my favorite from the whole week.
Companions as Mandy says a touch off the blurred foreground but a good different take on a tough theme.

They certainly stand out well Dean,
nothing really to add except, maybe a little more negative space for them to fly into?

Scenic - definitely the Windmill one for me (y)

Companions - A crop off the left would give more space for the birds to fly into I think, or you could have just asked them to wait until you moved a little :p

Both good shots for the theme and I'd struggle to better them :D

HI DK, excellent choice for the theme, even better for getting them all above the tree line and in formation, sky is good for me anything else I feel would distract from the birds
Cheers Allan :)

As for crit maybe a crop off the left they are a little to forward in the frame maybe
Ahhhh good point, I tried to get the main bunch on the thirds, but looking again it the front bird does seem to pull them forward... have marked it for an edit :)

Companions - a nice shot for the theme, my crit I think as you say a better sky would be nice. I also think maybe a slight crop to loose a smidgen more of the blurred foreground.
Thanks Mandy :)

Not so sure on the crop from the bottom, I was trying to add some depth to the shot... there again I guess the treeline does that too, good suggestion, Thanks :)

The windmill pic for scenic is my favorite from the whole week.
Cool - Thanks Simon :cool:
Companions as Mandy says a touch off the blurred foreground but a good different take on a tough theme.
Ahhhh thanks again Simon, will add a note on that idea too now :)

They certainly stand out well Dean,
nothing really to add except, maybe a little more negative space for them to fly into?
Thanks Chris, now why did I not think of that :)

Right... need to fully re think this one then, the 3 suggestions will make a nice edit I think... plan for tomorrow I feel :)

Scenic - definitely the Windmill one for me (y)
Thanks Jill :)

Companions - A crop off the left would give more space for the birds to fly into I think, or you could have just asked them to wait until you moved a little :p
Ha Haaaa yeah right :D

Both good shots for the theme and I'd struggle to better them :D
Thank you again, very kind of you to say:)

Companions, what with this and your Scenic you spend a lot of time in the reeds :naughty:
Oooo shenanigans in the reeds, now that IS a Norfolk pastime :D

Like it, well composed, nice muted colours.

Cheers.
Thanks alot Andy :)

Companions - good shot nicely done
Cheers Perry :)

Hi Dean,

Scenic - the windmill, every time. I love that wide open sky and the soft tones in the reeds - it's a cracking shot.

Companions - good shot, well on theme

:)

Scenic - Love the windmill shot.

Companions - Great composition and DoF :)
Cheers Paul :)

Companions; that's a great shot and well timed. Can't add much critiques apart from what others said about slight crop of the left.
Thank You Stan :)

Nice shot Dean..

Have to agree it would look nice with some space on the left.

Like you have said, better sky would have been nice..
Yep mate... Thanks again Darren :)

Hi Dean,

Scenic - the windmill, every time. I love that wide open sky and the soft tones in the reeds - it's a cracking shot.

Companions - good shot, well on theme

:)
Thank You Lorraine, yeah I must admit that was a very peaceful walk indeed :)

By Popular demand - Companions EDIT/Re-Crop, Hope I have moved it enough... for me the additional space to the right was a must, god knows why I cropped it the other way :)

Wk 4 - Companions Re-Crop by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
Another +1 for the better edit. Now they've got a bit of space to fly into!

It might be my eyes but it looks like you've also taken a bit off the bottom too which has worked well. A wonderful "moment" shot.

Another +1 for the better edit. Now they've got a bit of space to fly into!

It might be my eyes but it looks like you've also taken a bit off the bottom too which has worked well. A wonderful "moment" shot.
Thanks Ian :)

And yes you are correct, I took the suggestions from all and took space from the left, added room to the right and took a slither off the bottom, complete nip n tuck on this one :)

Hi DK ...I loved the first one and the edit is even better ...what a great shot for the theme absolutely spot on.

:( link to Flickr won't work for me.
Thanks a lot Susie :)

I'll check the link right now... brb

Scenic ... lurve what everyone's calling the windmill shot ... was studying it, admiring the top of the FG grass seemingly just above the BG grass :clap: ... didn't even see the windmill.

Companions ... good shot, on theme.

Scenic ... lurve what everyone's calling the windmill shot ... was studying it, admiring the top of the FG grass seemingly just above the BG grass :clap: ... didn't even see the windmill.

Companions ... good shot, on theme.
Thanks David :)

lol at missing the windmill :D

Right... here we have

Long story short, busy weekend visiting relatives, so little time to use my camera, I've had a couple of hours tonight BUT have used the time to take photo's for another thing I have been putting off...

So this is a TINY bit of a shoehorn, this shot WAS set up for this theme but certainly isn't the first thing that springs to mind, but hey ho, it works as a good placeholder for me and I do think it looks very sexy/elegant anyhow :geek: :D

This lens and my 7d are up for sale in the classifieds just in case you are interested :whistle:

Wk 5 - Elegant

Wk 5 - Elegant by TP DK, on Flickr

Thanks for looking in :)

Ooo I have one of those, so I have to agree, they certainly fit the theme (y)

This lens and my 7d are up for sale in the classifieds just in case you are interested :whistle:
Did you not get the memo?
Although we have relaxed the classified rules, pimping out-side classifieds = 1 lash of the cat-o-nine-tails per word.
You do the sums :p

It's a Canon, not elegant at all. :) :nikon:

Ooo I have one of those, so I have to agree, they certainly fit the theme (y)

Did you not get the memo?
Although we have relaxed the classified rules, pimping out-side classifieds = 1 lash of the cat-o-nine-tails per word.
You do the sums :p
Opppps :exit:

Hang on... who's doing the lashing :naughty:

Last edited:
As a Nikon I have to say it's a nice lens. Sharp, well composed. A nice shiny, black surface to produce a crisp reflection would have been great..... Looks like fine wad against you, though.

Cheers.

As a Nikon I have to say it's a nice lens. Sharp, well composed. A nice shiny, black surface to produce a crisp reflection would have been great..... Looks like fine wad against you, though.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy :)

Mmmm black worktop, now that's a great thought, I'll have to get the lads that do our kitchen fitting to save me a variety of off-cuts :)

Back