weekly Raglansurf's 52 in 2015. Entering the world of digital one week at a time. Fragile added.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
At some time soon there should be a Patterns test shot here

Shhh, I'm supposed to be out buying more old cameras and a supply of film that expired in 1999 :naughty:

Hi, good start, nice shallow DOF detail in the in focus area. WB looks little out and a slight crop would work here.

Welcome aboard (y)

Cheers.

No crop needed for me, the top corners help define the shape and the sharp focus draws my eye. Almost looks like a denim fingerprint.

Ooooh yes . . . denim fingerprint . . . that description suits it perfectly :)

Good focus, lovely creamy DoF and something also very soothing to me about the warm tones even if the WB isn't quite true to life.
My first instinct was to suggest a crop, but on reading the comments above I'm not so sure now.
It would certainly be a very different image with the top cropped and give it a totally different dynamic . . . but a stronger image? I'm not completely sure any more.

Ooooh yes . . . denim fingerprint . . . that description suits it perfectly :)

Good focus, lovely creamy DoF and something also very soothing to me about the warm tones even if the WB isn't quite true to life.
My first instinct was to suggest a crop, but on reading the comments above I'm not so sure now.
It would certainly be a very different image with the top cropped and give it a totally different dynamic . . . but a stronger image? I'm not completely sure any more.
Sarah, according to my data, you posted this exactly at midnight on New Years Eve!! Surely there are better things to be doing even if it is only to watch the fireworks. You are showing real dedication to the cause

Sarah, according to my data, you posted this exactly at midnight on New Years Eve!! Surely there are better things to be doing even if it is only to watch the fireworks. You are showing real dedication to the cause

Unfortunately we have a rather heavy, medium sized dog who is absolutely terrified of fireworks - so it pretty much rules out anything else on New Year's Eve.
That post was most likely typed from underneath the aforementioned rather heavy dog quivering on my lap :LOL:

(Don't worry though - keyboard and glass of wine were still within arm's reach)

Happy New Year to you all :)

Unfortunately we have a rather heavy, medium sized dog who is absolutely terrified of fireworks - so it pretty much rules out anything else on New Year's Eve.
That post was most likely typed from underneath the aforementioned rather heavy dog quivering on my lap :LOL:

(Don't worry though - keyboard and glass of wine were still within arm's reach)

Happy New Year to you all :)
Happy New Year to you .. and the dog!

Nice one Nick. Not bad this digital lark, is it ;)

Nice shallow DOF and I do like the way the in focus area bends around in a ^ shape. Colours are pleasing and although I might have preferred to have lost the top left corner, it does provide some additional interest.

Good start to the challenge and look forward to seeing you next shots...

HI Nick & welcome aboard the 52's challenge :wave:

Liking your patterns shot....not a scooby what it is but like the idea of it being a denim fingerprint......Ridiculously thin DOF works well & I like the warm tone :)

Nice start. Maybe a bigger focal area for me but I still like it.
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

First glance definitely reminds me of a fingerprint. I don't have a problem with the white balance :clap: Happy New Year :wave:

Thanks for the comments, constructive criticism and support, I'm really looking forward to this challenge it should make for a very photographically interesting 2015.

I agree with the above, great shot and the shallow DoF really works but the top left is a touch distracting. Nice start.

Welcome to 2015 52s Nick, a good image to start with (y) With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck for the rest of the year.

welcome Nick

thin DOF indeed.

f1.4 ... maybe?

Now I must start by apologising for posting a shot that has no photographic merit at all and I'm sure I'm probably breaking all sorts of copyright laws but as far as 'bliss' goes, for me this just about tops the lot. This will be the last time I post such a poor photo (I hope) and crave the indulgence of other 52'ers.

01-52-2015 Bliss by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Good start there Nick, I like your patterns image best, footballs not really my cup a tea to be honest, but totally respect each and everyone's version of Bliss. I'm itching for next weeks theme myself lol ! (y)

welcome Nick

thin DOF indeed.

f1.4 ... maybe?
f7.1 surprisingly but on a Tokina 100mm Macro
Good start there Nick, I like your patterns image best, footballs not really my cup a tea to be honest, but totally respect each and everyone's version of Bliss. I'm itching for next weeks theme myself lol ! (y)

Thanks Barney, I'm looking forward to this challenge too, so far the hardest part is not taking the shots but finding the time to comment on so many entries, good fun though.

Now I must start by apologising for posting a shot that has no photographic merit at all and I'm sure I'm probably breaking all sorts of copyright laws but as far as 'bliss' goes, for me this just about tops the lot. This will be the last time I post such a poor photo (I hope) and crave the indulgence of other 52'ers.

Now see I was just flicking through the 52 photos thread when I saw this and it made me stop and think. Is it just a picture of the telly? Or is it a picture of a picture from another camera?

"No photographic merit". I disagree - it has captured a moment. A moment from television which is obsessed with shovelling garbage down our throats as fast as possible. You found a still moment in that. You captured it.

It's got composition, it's got interest, it tells a story. 8 goals is a lot, so it was probably an exciting match. I have no idea who the teams are, but if it's "Bliss" for you, then I'm guessing the "5" is the bit you're interested in. Maybe you'll look at this picture again. Maybe it won't disappear off into the hard drive never to be seen again. Doesn't that make it a good photo?

I'm chuckling here, because I spent so long thinking about this comment. On a "shot of the telly". Thankyou for making me think today!

Fragile, I was a little stumped for this having seen some very good interpretations and wanting to post something at least half way original so my anger at dropping this glass soon turned to a smile when I realised I'd found my week 2 shot.

02-52-2015 Fragile, aparently. by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Posting this kind of thing is quite a long way outside my usual sphere of photography but I did quite enjoy trying to get something usable out of it with a black curtain and an old t-shirt as a backdrop, you live and learn.

Last edited:
This glass has gone the way of many, many glasses in my house (butter fingers). Not as fragile as it was perhaps.

Much better when viewed on Flickr, much more detail.

Another interesting take. Nice detail in the glass and I thought you'd clipped the LHS.

My eyes do flit from one half to another, but no major deal.

Cheers.

Hi Nick

Sorry for not getting here sooner....

Pattern - Real nice shallow DoF, the curve is really adding to the pattern, nicely lit and nice detail :)

Bliss - An unusual shot, as you say not the most technical for sure, BUT if a score like that would be spot on for any loyal fan, so theme wise I'm liking it :)

Fragile - I would have liked to see some smaller fragments and the glass scattered rather than placed, you have done a grand job of the black background though and the lighting looks good for me again (y)

Nice take, Nick. Some well controlled lighting, although I might prefer a touch more really to accentuate the edges which are obviously the main subject... I'd use a bigger and brighter light source (e.g. bouncing the strobe off a wall) behind your black background (which could be a typical backdrop) and try to block out all other ambient light.

Hi Nick,
Bliss..... I'm sure both my sons would appreciate your submission for this topic! for me however the balls are the wrong shape should be more elliptical. (could be something to do with lens correction;))
Never the less i think it was a fair shot, considering taking pictures of screens is never that easy. Your particular bliss is accepted and all is forgiven!

Fragile..... I sincerely hope that the glass was empty when you dropped it would be heartbreaking to think a drop had been wasted in this happy accident! Well lit and well exposed, like the black background, well shot and fits the theme perfect...

I have looked in the project and themes for the thread that contains those in the running for Official Forum Idiot, i see you hold the title for 2013 and 2014, can you point me to where the sign up thread is located:D.

Cheers

Steve

Back