weekly 2015 52's by Summer - week 25 silhouette

Great take on the theme Summer :clap: I didn't get the page turn bit until Michael mentioned it, and even then it took me a while :banghead:

Great images here love the machine shot. Alphabet is a great idea too.

Gaz

thanks guys - I had to find something to make it more interesting :p

Schroedinger's, one of my favourite subjects that I never fully understand despite years of studying maths. Good interpretation, I like it.

we had a chemistry graduate on our degree, he regularly disappointed himself by only getting 98% in an exam (while we were all happy to 'just pass' with 41%). He was some kind of genius, probably had mild autism as he couldn't relate in a social way at all. He once told me that when he looked at an equation he could see it as its wave, and he could see the wave in 3D not 2D. Apparently a sine wave spirals away from you. I was fascinated, and just a wee bit jealous :)

Hi Summer,

The Alphabet photo is a great Idea. I doubt many would have thought to look beyond the typical A-Z but the greek alphabet is a great alternative :)

thanks everyone, looking forward to the next one :)

First visit here. Very good stuff all the way through. I particularly like COMPANIONS.

RELAX - tells a story, looks like a lot of hard work has to be done before relaxing!

VERTICAL - Stunning image. Would be bang on if the theme was Vertigo. And yes, the cathedral does look like a miniature all the way down there.

Catch up from me Summer and nothing to crit on any you have a good set of images there for your catch up
Close up is clever works on 2 levels
Vertical is brilliant but i cant look too long i dont do heights
Crowd super dof
machine works really well against that blue background
alphabet simple effective with a nice bit of pp :clap:

Hey You :)

Hope NY was good for you, I sure love that place :)

Vertical - Nice idea, and how you just got it in shot nicely too, well done, It sure does look tiny, it's amazing how many LARGE buildings are in that city, makes london look like a city of bungalows to me :)
https://flic.kr/p/rCK8rQ
Crowd - A perfect location for the theme and a very solemn place, it sure does make you think when you are looking down the holes, such HUGE buildings were there :(

Close Up - Ahhhh great idea, (I would have turned the red thing so the text was correct) other than that super detail and well lit, perfect theme wise :)

Machine - Love the colour of this one and although a simple idea it works very well, like it (y)

Alphabet - Ermmmm you lost me with this one until I read your description, liking the idea of the curly page but would prefer a tattered edge to go with the scrally writing, still a cracking original idea again :)

thanks guys :) I have my idea for sound - just need the time :O

week 15 - sound

In 1978 a band called The Members released a hit called Sound of the Suburbs with the immortal lyric "10 o' clock, Broadmoor siren"

so for my 'sound' we have

The Broadmoor siren...

week 15 sound
by moominmama, on Flickr

Broadmoor siren
by moominmama, on Flickr

hey Stan thanks for your comment :)

Hi Summer, I bet that makes a helluva sound when it goes off - nice thinking and well shot

apparently it sounds like an air raid siren from WW2. This one is located on the doorstep of a small square of flats in Wokingham. It goes off for 4 mins every Monday at 10am so that's ok if you're at work. But a couple of months ago it went off unintentionally during a thunderstorm and kept everyone awake! (probably wondering if it was an escapee :eek: ). My son lives in Bracknell and for 13 years I've been intending to go up there to hear it *sigh*

thanks Susie - I took a few shots - they're on my flickr :)

Noisy-looking machine. If I ever get put in Broadmoor I'll know to try my escape at 10am on a Monday! :)

Hi, first one for me, it does need an explanation had no idea what it was but I do remember the Sound of the suburbs though

Both of these hit the spot for Sound Summer but like Dean I prefer the close up. Nice crisp, clean shot with lots of detail (y)

thanks guys - I used my son's tele for this, it's the same as mine, 75-300mm, but his was new and mine 2nd hand ;) so his is a lot sharper than mine

choosing between the two ... I like the first shot, the whole thing [more or less] ladder 'n all.

Now, I like these. The crisp white sky works for me and really isolates the siren and tower. B&w adds to the images for me, Broadmoor isn't a place that brings happy thoughts to mind.

I've seen a few professional photographers doing ethnographic studies on such things, which I like.

OCD alert with the symmetry in #2 :)

Cheers.

week 17 - heat

I did this one with my last 52's but holding the moon (the theme was glow) so it's a bit of a cheat o_O and um, I didn't take the pic of the sun lol

week 17 - heat
by moominmama, on Flickr

oooh that's a lovely shot Summer, I like the way the sun's hovering over your hand. It doesn't scream heat at me (probably because I can't put the sun and a black bg together - sorry), but I really love the shot :)

thanks Lorraine, I did try a sun taken from a sunset pic, as it was more white, but it didn't look right at all :)

Interesting take on the theme Summer. Not something I would have thought of. You've got just enough reflective glow on the hand to make it look possible so well done you :clap::clap::clap:

Really like it. :clap: .. yes nice glow of the hand. But ... is it just me! ... should the hand be moved a smidge to the right or the sun to the left? o_O

Last edited:
thanks guys, I held my hand under a bulb which is why there's a glow on my hand :)

I agree. Great idea, fits the theme perfectly for me.

Maybe the shot with the bulb would also have been worth submitting?

lol no Bob, wasn't very nice at all :)

week 18 - Figure

one of my favourite artists - Antony Gormley - this is Sound II in the crypt of Winchester Cathedral

figure
by moominmama, on Flickr

Back