Allan.H 52 for 2019 WEEK 52 OUT TAKE AND FINISHED

Hi Allan,

Wet - Dark and mysterious. Puts me in mind of a spy thriller. I wonder if they had one of those in Salisbury.

Free - Hmm, I've never intentionally used the in-camera jpgs from my X-T2, maybe I should... I prefer the first of the two images. I think the view of the top of the bridge is more appealing, and has the added interest of the path.

Entrance - Nice contrast of the painted brickwork and wood vs the lower brick and stone work,
particularly the two signs which I have no idea what they mean.
I was going to ask you about that.

I really like the symmetry in this image Allan.
I too like the tall crop to show more of the upper building, and those strange signs....very interesting.
Marvellous!(y)
Thanks Gareth see below for the explanation

Last edited:
Hi Allan,

Wet - Dark and mysterious. Puts me in mind of a spy thriller. I wonder if they had one of those in Salisbury.

Free - Hmm, I've never intentionally used the in-camera jpgs from my X-T2, maybe I should... I prefer the first of the two images. I think the view of the top of the bridge is more appealing, and has the added interest of the path.

Entrance - Nice contrast of the painted brickwork and wood vs the lower brick and stone work,

I was going to ask you about that.

Thanks for looking in Tim, I would Never use the jpegs SOOC usually but as I had just bought the Fuji and reading a lot about the quality of the jpegs in reviews etc thought I would give it a try can't say Im a 100% happy with them but that might be my inexperience with the camera, will be sticking to raw from now on.

As for the sign I have just researched it and.....

"These are parish boundary markers in Park Street. As you walk past them you leave "St Oswalds Parish" and enter "St Martins Parish". They are on the front of the "Nine Houses" (of which there are six). The houses are the only surviving pre-16th-century almshouses in Chester. They were built in about 1650 (as part of the restoration of Chester following the Civil War) and extensively repaired and renovated in 1968-9. They are not the "oldest council houses" in the country - the first recorded almshouse was founded in York by King Athelstan; the oldest still in existence is the Hospital of St. Cross in Winchester, dating to circa 1133".

Not sure on some of the details in that, it says pre 16th century but then says they were built in 1650 :thinking:

Brilliant shot Allan, that's just my type of door shot. The beam above the door divides the image in two, with each half having very different textures, shapes and colours. I love the symmetry of the image as well, great stuff.

Entrance
I like that, very symmetrical. I like the crop.
Brilliant shot Allan, that's just my type of door shot. The beam above the door divides the image in two, with each half having very different textures, shapes and colours. I love the symmetry of the image as well, great stuff.

Thanks
Great shots for FREE, and ENTRANCE!! (heritage signs maybe?)
The answer is in a post above thanks for looking in Bob

I like the entrance image. I think it's nice to see the two different types of the building. Any idea what the SOP and SMP are all about?

I like the entrance image. I think it's nice to see the two different types of the building. Any idea what the SOP and SMP are all about?
Thanks Ian, I did find out what they are, parish boundary markers apparently

Entrance. Good choice of subject, like the blend of symmetry and lines. Good capture

Very nice shot for Entrance Allan. I really like old architecture and this a great shot of some. Thanks for the explanations of the signs too.

WEEK 12 YOUNG

Young Love by Allan Howe, on Flickr

I can neither confirm or deny this

Been away for a few days sorry for the late post will try and catch up with comments later

Last edited:
A nice bit of 'young' social commentary - nicely done and good DoF too.

A really nice image, perfectly lit, great composition. but ......... ruined by having the jam/cream in the wrong order :D;);)

YOUNG - That's a great find, and good idea for the theme. Youngsters used to carve their names on trees, now lamposts/walls etc Curious message if Chantelle is fit and this "equals" Robbie - then he (or she) must be fit too. Well, whatever …….

FOOD - Buttered scones for tea. Some of these food shots are reminding me of what I miss about the UK, maybe Fish & Chips will make an appearance!! Anyway, perfect shot, sharp throughout and could be in a cookery book. I would tend to agree with Stan's point about the space at the sides.

Food is great, I like the way you've got the scones at the top uncut with the prepared ones below. Although, the jam should be on top :p

Food is great, I like the way you've got the scones at the top uncut with the prepared ones below. Although, the jam should be on top :p

Controversial jam, I think you will find it is right as it is :) Thanks Carl

YOUNG - That's a great find, and good idea for the theme. Youngsters used to carve their names on trees, now lamposts/walls etc Curious message if Chantelle is fit and this "equals" Robbie - then he (or she) must be fit too. Well, whatever …….

FOOD - Buttered scones for tea. Some of these food shots are reminding me of what I miss about the UK, maybe Fish & Chips will make an appearance!! Anyway, perfect shot, sharp throughout and could be in a cookery book. I would tend to agree with Stan's point about the space at the sides.

Thanks Bob

Young: nicely captured piece of social commentary. Great use of DoF for separation.
As for the message....well it's heartwarming to see that romance is not dead!:giggle:
Food: Fantastically shot image Allan, just love the colours and the details, top notch indeed!
Marvellous!(y)

Love the scone shot - looks very yummy!

And it's SKON not SCOWN :)

Young: nicely captured piece of social commentary. Great use of DoF for separation.
As for the message....well it's heartwarming to see that romance is not dead!:giggle:
Food: Fantastically shot image Allan, just love the colours and the details, top notch indeed!
Marvellous!(y)
Romance is indeed not dead though the English language seems to be suffering.
Thanks for looking in.

Hi Allan

Entrance - Nice symmetry, love the old doors and the brickwork. Interesting signs too. Thanks for finding out what they are for :)
Young - That did make me smile and I want to know if she is lol :D
Food - Lovely looking scones. Like the blue bg. You were correct in having the jam on first but it's definitely pronounced SCOWN :p

Hi Allan, catching up with your last three images and as usual they're bang on theme and strong images in their own right.

Entrance - as others have said already, the symmetry works well, the details and colours of the doors are lovely, while the signs above were definitely worth including and add a touch of mystery. It's fantastic that they have been left in place all these years.
Young - well spotted and shows several aspects of youth. Great use of shallow DOF too.
Food - yum, now I really want a scone with jam and cream! The blue background is a good choice to contrast with the other colours and the lighting brings out the colour and textures of the food but maintains the details in the cream. Spot on (y)

Hi Allan

Entrance - Nice symmetry, love the old doors and the brickwork. Interesting signs too. Thanks for finding out what they are for :)
Young - That did make me smile and I want to know if she is lol :D
Food - Lovely looking scones. Like the blue bg. You were correct in having the jam on first but it's definitely pronounced SCOWN :p

Thanks for looking in, definitely SKON though

Hi Allan, catching up with your last three images and as usual they're bang on theme and strong images in their own right.

Entrance - as others have said already, the symmetry works well, the details and colours of the doors are lovely, while the signs above were definitely worth including and add a touch of mystery. It's fantastic that they have been left in place all these years.
Young - well spotted and shows several aspects of youth. Great use of shallow DOF too.
Food - yum, now I really want a scone with jam and cream! The blue background is a good choice to contrast with the other colours and the lighting brings out the colour and textures of the food but maintains the details in the cream. Spot on (y)

Thank you

Lovely light on the grapes and bowl. If it were mine I;d crop it square :)

Lovely light on the grapes and bowl. If it were mine I;d crop it square :)
I did try a few crops but settled on this in the end, I'm not the best judge of my own work though :)

Excellent picture, lighting, depth and 'mood' are spot on for me

Back