Alsjazzeras 2016 TP 52 WEEK 52 CELEBRATE/CELEBRATION ADDED

WEEK 16 VAST

Helsby panorama by Allan Howe, on Flickr

The view from the top of Helsby hill looking towards Liverpool, you can just see Liverpool Cathedral on the horizon

Last edited:
Blimey mate... a good old height for this one, clouds to the left slightly blown ?? but still a cracking big sky and the letterbox crop does it's wonders too (y)

Clouds are well blown very strong sun from the left, but couldn't do anything with it so will have to live with it, it was very windy standing on the edge

Good take on Horizontal Allan - it would be unnatural if nature produced sprit-level horizontals. Spot on. Keep the challenge going .. hard work though it may be sometimes. :clap:

Now to Vast. A striking scene with that high POV and taken on a bright sunny day in Spring - just lovely. :clap:

Very nice Al, slots right in there under vast :)

Nice one Allan as The Who's song goes... "I can see for miles and miles and miles...." Vast indeed and lucky for you to have a nice sunny day too. I used a Grad. ND filter to balance the bright sky.

Unfortunately don't have s grad ND filter, will have a look into getting one

Good take on Horizontal Allan - it would be unnatural if nature produced sprit-level horizontals. Spot on. Keep the challenge going .. hard work though it may be sometimes. :clap:

Thanks Carl, will stick with it for now

Now to Vast. A striking scene with that high POV and taken on a bright sunny day in Spring - just lovely. :clap:

Thanks again

Vast - a perfect way to illustrate the theme, really nice. Was this taken as a few shots and joined together?

Yes its at least 2 shots maybe 3 hence the left side clouds are a little blown as I metered for the overall scene

Very nice Al, slots right in there under vast :)

Thank you

Vast conveys a nice sense of open space helped by the elevation, I like it.

Hi Allan, good spot for Vast and a nice pano. Not normally sold on 50:50 horizon placement, but I think it works for this theme (and I'm going to assume it makes stitching a lot easier ;) )

Shame about the light, but sometimes you have to work with what you have. I guess you could have dialled in a couple of stops of negative exposure comp?

Really liking Vast Allan plenty of details to take in

Thanks

Hi Allan, good spot for Vast and a nice pano. Not normally sold on 50:50 horizon placement, but I think it works for this theme (and I'm going to assume it makes stitching a lot easier ;) )

Shame about the light, but sometimes you have to work with what you have. I guess you could have dialled in a couple of stops of negative exposure comp?

A valid point Paul about negative exposure, but I have to say all the technical aspects went out of the window standing on the edge with a very strong wind blowing, it was hard to get my breath never mind anything else :)

That's a fabulous view Allan perfect for the theme.

Thanks Susie

Last edited:
Allan Hi, really like your horizontal photo, sharp and plenty of contrast, I want to run my finger down and watch them move back to rest.
Vast - liking this, not sure about the lower right rock but overall a good landscape.

Last edited:
Hi Allan

really liking the contrasty OOF'd BG in Horizontal.

love the FG rocks adding stability to your Vast ... ness.

What a fantastic view and you've really captured that feeling of big sky and feeling very tiny. I'm just glad you didn't get blown off the edge!

It was a close run thing

Allan Hi, really like your horizontal photo, sharp and plenty of contrast, I want to run my finger down and watch them move back to rest.
Vast - liking this, not sure about the lower right rock but overall a good landscape.

Thanks

Hi Allan

really liking the contrasty OOF'd BG in Horizontal.

love the FG rocks adding stability to your Vast ... ness.

Thanks d00d

Hi Allan,
Horizontal - Interesting processing work. I see you're using the Nik collection, is that a new addition to your arsenal now that it's free?
How do you find it?
Vast - Cathedral on the horizon? You've got better eyes than me (but I guess you know what you're looking at).
Great blues in the sky, a bright sunny day is always going to cause problems with highlights isn't it, but rather that than a uniform grey sky.
That shot really does give an impression of vastness with the land leading off into the distance like that.

Hi Allan,
Horizontal - Interesting processing work. I see you're using the Nik collection, is that a new addition to your arsenal now that it's free?
How do you find it?
Vast - Cathedral on the horizon? You've got better eyes than me (but I guess you know what you're looking at).
Great blues in the sky, a bright sunny day is always going to cause problems with highlights isn't it, but rather that than a uniform grey sky.
That shot really does give an impression of vastness with the land leading off into the distance like that.

Well spotted regarding the Nik collection, thought I would try it as its free its not really my thing I find it a bit of a novelty and not something I would use a lot though I like how it worked with the already grainy nature of the film in this one

An excellent selection of rough textures Allan - I particularly like the centre row with that rich orange/brown timber in the middle. Would make a great piece of wallart. :clap:

That's a great collection of graphics for the theme, very good mix of textures and colours

A brilliant idea well executed, Allan. Brings far more than just a single shot would have done.

An excellent selection of rough textures Allan - I particularly like the centre row with that rich orange/brown timber in the middle. Would make a great piece of wallart. :clap:

Thanks Carl

That's a great collection of graphics for the theme, very good mix of textures and colours

Thank you

I really like this one Allan .....good choice in making each section the same size, and a smashing variety of textures. I agree with Carl it works very well as wall art :clap:

Thanks Susie

aaarrrghhhhhhh :bat:

I'll comment when I've calmed down :)

Cheers.

:banana: :naughty: :exit:

That is a great choice - I love seeing all those textures together - the rust and golden wood are especially eye-catching. :clap:

Thanks they are my favorites too

Hi Allan, that is a great selection of shots and a very well thought out submission :clap: I really like it!

Thanks Paul

A brilliant idea well executed, Allan. Brings far more than just a single shot would have done.

You are right a single shot wouldn't work as well

Some great textures there, Allan. Off the set it's the middle one for me, but they do work well together.

Cheers.

I can only apologize Andy, but it only took you half an hour to calm down, I would have been cursing you all day :LOL:

Is that what you call a triptych, triptych? :D

Great selection of colours and textures Al, they work very well together IMO :)

Back