weekly BarrySprout's 52 for 23 - Week 52 - Complete!

I live in Bannockburn which as some may know was the site of a battle 709 years ago. The king of Scots Robert the Bruce and his army were victorious over the army of King Edward II in June 1314.
The National Trust for Scotland operate a visitor centre at an approximation of where the battle took place.
This morning I took a brief walk around to take a shot for this weeks theme.

Robert The Bruce by barrysprout, on Flickr

Very nice, love the framing of the text. Well composed and nice to see some sun and shadows.

Yep - nicely done indeedy :)

Good start to the challenge and an interesting story. Not sure if it needs straightening slightly or if it's just me?

Week 2 - Incomple ;)

A project which will forever remain incomplete.

f1.4 lens by barrysprout, on Flickr

reflective base was the glass panel borrowed from my PC.
2 Godox flashes fired with a trigger, both shot through diffuser panels removed from a faulty TV.

(Week 1) Nice framing of the statue. Lovely textures and weathering detail in the wood with the quote.

Nice one Colin. I've taken a few apart over the years. Never managed to get one back together!

Something I would never even start.

Interesting shot, well lit, and composed. Looks like the three lenses but then gives the additional detail from the curved parts in the foreground.

Set up sounds somewhat Heath-Robinson - all the more impressive for this... Well done. :)

Nothing a little glue and duct tape wouldn't fix... :D

Good shot Colin.

Works nicely for the theme. Great use of recycled objects too!

Interesting shot, well lit, and composed. Looks like the three lenses but then gives the additional detail from the curved parts in the foreground.

Set up sounds somewhat Heath-Robinson - all the more impressive for this... Well done. :)

Nothing a little glue and duct tape wouldn't fix... :D

Good shot Colin.

Works nicely for the theme. Great use of recycled objects too!

Thanks everyone (y)

I really like the separation between the flowers and the background.

Great idea for the theme, and it works well.

Yep - clever take!

good sharp detail on the lillies, looks like a shot of Mr and Mrs Lily on their holidays... or is that just me seeing that??

The background makes this for me. Well done.

Thanks, you may be faster than me at posting a weekly shot but this one started life in 2014 when I shot the background in preparation for this week's theme :D

I really like the separation between the flowers and the background.

Thanks, much easier to control the separation when there is only the subject and a flat panel behind it ;) The use of flash on the flowers helped too.

Great idea for the theme, and it works well.
Thanks (y)

Immediately shouts “Artificial”.
People say that about lots of my shots :D

Yep - clever take!
Thankyou (y)

Great idea for artificial, very effective
Thanks (y)

good sharp detail on the lillies, looks like a shot of Mr and Mrs Lily on their holidays... or is that just me seeing that??
Can't stop seeing that way now :ROFLMAO: They had to staycation in Torquay as there was a mix-up with their passport photos :oops: :$

Last edited:
LOL, when I first saw the image I was thinking "What a great eye Colin has to see two fake lilies at a tropical theme park"...and then I read your commentary... :ROFLMAO:

Great idea and well shot.

Definitely look artificial on all counts. I would never have thought of creating a background on the tv so top points for that one!

Week 4 - Transparent & Tech- Juxtaposition

So for this weeks theme it was playtime again for me. Lens loosely covered with crumpled cling film, face pressed into another diffusion panel from the TV I dismantled for week 2 and two off camera flashes with strong opposing coloured gels.

When I told Mrs Sprout what my plan was she told me that she figured that's what I'd do.
She can see right through me
:coat:

Transparent Juxtaposition by barrysprout, on Flickr

Last edited:
Another great different image. Love the colours, and the positioning of the hand, looks like it's holding a sheet over you.. or the self timer.

Clear profile works well, with the hard gaze into the blue. Very good.

Another great different image. Love the colours, and the positioning of the hand, looks like it's holding a sheet over you.. or the self timer.

Clear profile works well, with the hard gaze into the blue. Very good.
Thanks Graham, yes my hand is holding the diffusion panel as it's a flexible plastic layer from the TV screen. Unfortunately I don't have a remote release for the camera other than the phone app so this required a lot of jumping up and down using the 10 sec delay for shooting.

Also experimented with longer shutter times and rear sync flash to give more movement to the shot but couldn't quite get what I was aiming for. Would have been easier to achieve with someone else there to press the shutter release but that felt like cheating :D

Back