weekly Bebop's 52 for 2017 thread - week 52 Weather - done

well done for doing something with that broken wall and framing the island like that.

and Hold is a cracker. (y)

Last edited:
Vivid - Certainly is! I prefer your first one with the fence leading in the image.
Broken - That's a sad looking wall, amazing it's still holding on.
Hold - Good action shot, I like the frozen spray

Wow, those colours are certainly Vivid! What a colourful row of houses, and either image works for me; its all about those brilliant colours.
Broken is a great find, perfect for the theme and it shows how strongly those walls are constructed that the top is still intact, somehow. The view beyond is a nice bonus, framed by the broken wall.
Hold is also spot on for the theme as the windsurfer clings on as he gets thrown up by the waves. The bold colours stand out well against the muted background and add impact.

Nice catch-up - keep going :)

Week 6 Whole

I took this ages ago for this theme, but wasn't happy with it. In view of being so far behind, I've realised I've got to put my perfectionist idealism aside and just get on with it :D

Week6_Whole
by Bebop on Talk Photography

Wow, those colours are certainly Vivid! What a colourful row of houses, and either image works for me; its all about those brilliant colours.
Broken is a great find, perfect for the theme and it shows how strongly those walls are constructed that the top is still intact, somehow. The view beyond is a nice bonus, framed by the broken wall.
Hold is also spot on for the theme as the windsurfer clings on as he gets thrown up by the waves. The bold colours stand out well against the muted background and add impact.

Nice catch-up - keep going :)
Thank you for taking the time to comment. That wall did amaze me.

Vivid - Certainly is! I prefer your first one with the fence leading in the image.
Broken - That's a sad looking wall, amazing it's still holding on.
Hold - Good action shot, I like the frozen spray
Thank you - yes I think I prefer that first vivid image too.
well done for doing something with that broken wall and framing the island like that.

and Hold is a cracker. (y)
Thank you, yes I thought the island was a bonus :)

@granddad john @susiejb @Hertsman @Dave70D
Thank you all for taking the time to comment. Sorry I'm so completely rubbish at keeping on top of the 52 challenge. I entered this challenge as I realised I was taking less photos than I used to. Now I realise why :D

I will keep plodding on...

Lovely minimalist shot; it would do for graceful as well!!;):)
Thank you. I didn't think re graceful... can I put it in again? :D:D

Hi Bebop two nice shots but my choice is minimalistic as it is a lovely shot and good choice for the theme.
Thanks Dave. I liked the oranges, but the execution was not perfect. Maybe I should try it again for this week's Fruit theme :)

Two halves make a whole ... I like it.

Minimalist ... watercolourish ... 3 similar boats with quite different sail movements.

Agriculture is a good shot, like the leading lines of the crop. Graceful is a great shot, beautiful horse and BG really is a belter too plus a damn good shadow (y)(y)
Thanks Dave. Both taken yesterday when I was playing with long exposures on the beach. She came past on the horse and I had my ultra-wide lens on :rolleyes: Luckily I'd got my 24-70 with me and I reckoned she'd come back if I waited, and so she did! (y) If I'd been more canny, I'd have walked down the beach to where there were no footprints.... funny how you notice these things afterwards!

Just trying for a catch up of comments now - you've posted some great shots! I love the sharp action of hold, and the setting for graceful couldn't have been more picturesque. I didn't notice the footprints until you mentioned them. Great lines in agriculture, but I think my favourite is your minimalist with those light tones and perfect timing - something very different (y)

Glad to see you're plugging on with your 52 and caught up again (y)

Minimalist is a very restful image, almost like a painting, and I could definitely see that hanging on a wall.
Agriculture works well as an image with the strong lines at the front of the scene leading to the solid row of brown at the top, and is also spot on for the theme.
Graceful could be an advert or poster with those strong, sunny tones. Love the way you've caught the horse off the ground, the dark shadow on the sand, and the picture postcard background - well done!

Hi Bebop.

Whole - Not sure why you weren't happy with this, nice exposure and good creative use of the crop.
Minimalist - Great processing, and good timing to get the 3 yachts lined up so well.
Agriculture - That puts me in mind of a waterslide at a theme park. Good use of perspective.
Graceful - All 4 feet off the ground! Well timed. Good contrast between your subject and the background. Someone you know? If so, I bet they'd be happy to stick that up on their wall.

@Emja Thank you for your kind words. Your catch up better than mine ha ha! I'm always behind!!! :) Graceful is only half a mile from home and I just couldn't believe my luck when the horse rider came by. The positive response on Minimalist has made me think I will get it printed. I think it will need to be large!

Glad to see you're plugging on with your 52 and caught up again (y)

Minimalist is a very restful image, almost like a painting, and I could definitely see that hanging on a wall.
Agriculture works well as an image with the strong lines at the front of the scene leading to the solid row of brown at the top, and is also spot on for the theme.
Graceful could be an advert or poster with those strong, sunny tones. Love the way you've caught the horse off the ground, the dark shadow on the sand, and the picture postcard background - well done!
My expectations are lower now, but I'll keep plugging away - hope to break even by the end of the year!! I hadn't thought to get the minimalist one printed, but I could do with getting something on the walls, so I must just do that - thank you for commenting.
Hi Bebop.

Whole - Not sure why you weren't happy with this, nice exposure and good creative use of the crop.
Minimalist - Great processing, and good timing to get the 3 yachts lined up so well.
Agriculture - That puts me in mind of a waterslide at a theme park. Good use of perspective.
Graceful - All 4 feet off the ground! Well timed. Good contrast between your subject and the background. Someone you know? If so, I bet they'd be happy to stick that up on their wall.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on them all.
Whole - I wanted to get rid of the shadows around the oranges, but the crop did help disguise them. I see what you mean about a waterslide on Agriculture :D
Graceful - wasn't anyone I know, although I have now made contact with them via a few local horsey friends. I took about 5 shots as they approached and this one I found the most pleasing compositionally, but I hadn't even noticed I'd got all 4 feet off the ground. Well spotted!

Week 31 Piece

This potential piece of toast might look easy, but I took so many shots to get it! I enjoyed reminding myself how to do off camera flash though, so it was worth the effort for a pretty boring shot :)

Week31_Piece
by Bebop on Talk Photography

Last edited:
Nice little catch-up, contrast is the standout shot for me. Good vibrant colours in the flower.

Hi Bebop,

Face - Great sharp shot with sufficient DoF to get both the nose and eyes in focus :)
Tiny - Nice use of the leading leaf lines to point at the nasty bug thing.
Piece - Well composed and nicely sharp. I think the toast's a bit underdone though !
Contrast - I don't think it's overcooked, the colours are very vibrant and the pink/purple does contrast with the greens.
Interesting effect, how did you do it? (It can't just be shallow DoF surely)

Some lovely shots there, from the stunning portrait to the guys on the beach, all very much different, the sun reflecting as you say is really nice I wouldn't have guessed it was a reflection !!

For me it's a close call between the light on the lifeboat station which also is well composed or the PP on the model... I'm going for the portrait, good catching up (y)

Catch up on comments...

Thank you all for taking the time to comment @Dave70D @Nostromo

@Emja I have so much to learn about flash. Getting the light is okay, but it's the shadows that I find difficult!

@LC2 I overcooked the flower and undercooked the toast :D I used a filter in Photoshop - radial blur I think. I had taken the shot with the contrast theme in mind, but I felt the depth of field detracted from it... so I was disguising it :)

@Dark Knight I like that this challenge is making me do different sorts of photography, even if I am always behind! I still have 9 weeks to catch up on :rolleyes: but hope to break even by the end of the year (y)

The light was amazing on the lifeboat station for just a few minutes. By the time I got nearer, when there was a nice shot to be had underneath the piles, the nice light had gone.
There were people barbecuing on the beach and I now realise I missed my opportunity to get Smoke sorted too! :banghead:

Some great images here Bebop (y)

The flower stands out for its processing, and I like composition of that face portrait.

Back