weekly Bernd's 52 in 2017 - week 26: Face

Blimey, that was quick off the mark, not sure you should be putting toothpaste on your razor though :). You’ve got a whole week to wait now.

The subject is well lit and it is bang on theme but I find the yellow thing (shaving brush?) a tad distracting, perhaps it might work better if it was a bit more in focus?

Have a good holiday

Last edited:
That got me thinking ... wondering whether that was toothpaste or shaving gel and blood on the handle or reflection of your hand. Routine definitely and very quick off the mark.

nice image, not sure about the colours though? your hands look bloodstained, unless something happened that you would rather not mention! :) id love to hear about this toothpaste on the razor? have i been doing it wrong for all these years or is it one of those fancy posh creams that make you smell nice?

good work.

Structure, I remember Juxtaposition as a theme a few years ago and this would have worked well with the modern bridge and the old building as a backdrop. Great image. (y)

You are hardcore shaving your teeth

:agree: ... plus great bokeh ...and the in & out of focus yellows. (y)

Last edited:
I also thought it was toothpaste :D Love the depth of field and bokeh. I also like the yellow oof brush, marrying up with the yellow handle... after seeing the initial sharp razor (pun intended), it gives more to it as your eyes move around the image.

Exactly what Bebop says, I like the way your eye are drawn straight to the razor then wander around the image. Nice bokeh too.

Hi Brrnd,

Whole - I didn't see original image, but I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of the revised milk image either.
The shadows top & bottom don't work for me... I might have been tempted to really push the levels to turn it hi-key, but even then I'm wondering if the shadows would stop it working (maybe some work with the gradient tool needed too?)
But that's just me.
I like the second shot much better, though again I would have played a bit in pp to hide the shirt sleeve (I would have removed the watch beforehand) to give an Addams Family 'Thing' vibe to it :)

Structure - Ah, the Wobbly Bridge and Southwark Power Station :) Both things of beauty.
Was there an angle you could have gotten the whole of (the white bit of) the Globe in too?
Bastion House... That's part of The Barbican isn't it? Post War modernism at it's best(1)

Routine - Holiday.. Grrr.
Mind you, not sure what the holiday spirit has done to you, putting toothpaste on you razor.
Liking the colours and the bokeh :)

(1) "Best" being a subjective term.

I thought it would be making your wife her early morning cuppa, after all she's taking you on holiday:) Back to the razor I thought the red reflection was blood and then saw it was your fingers, do you normally use toothpaste instead of soap:D Its routine alright.

That's why I don't shave at 4.55am for work as I'm still asleep, god knows what you put on your tooth brush.

(y)

Structure: Good angle and nice and sharp, with some nice detail in the sky.
Routine: Good idea for the theme

The subject is well lit and it is bang on theme but I find the yellow thing (shaving brush?) a tad distracting, perhaps it might work better if it was a bit more in focus?
Thank you Chris!

Agree Routine can go out the window sometimes, like the quick thinking shot :) Hope you have a great holiday too :)
Thanks David!

That was quick, I just found out the theme and you've already done it. Great idea and very clever with the toothpaste and razor. Two routines we men do every, well most, mornings. :)
Cheers Stan!

That got me thinking ... wondering whether that was toothpaste or shaving gel and blood on the handle or reflection of your hand. Routine definitely and very quick off the mark.
Haha, toothpaste and reflection of my hand :) Thanks Carl!

You are hardcore shaving your teeth, excellent idea for the theme
Cheers Allan!

nice image, not sure about the colours though? your hands look bloodstained, unless something happened that you would rather not mention! :) id love to hear about this toothpaste on the razor?
I had a mix of electric and sunlight, so the WB might be slightly off... The toothpaste on the razor turned out not to be such a good idea, I couldn't get it off, so I had to throw a perfectly fine blade away. Thank you for commenting!

Structure, I remember Juxtaposition as a theme a few years ago and this would have worked well with the modern bridge and the old building as a backdrop. Great image. (y)
Thank you!

... plus great bokeh ...and the in & out of focus yellows. (y)
Thanks David!

#1 for me. Several interesting structures and some nice movement. Would work well as a contrasty B&W.
Cheers Andy!

I also thought it was toothpaste :D Love the depth of field and bokeh. I also like the yellow oof brush, marrying up with the yellow handle... after seeing the initial sharp razor (pun intended), it gives more to it as your eyes move around the image.
Thank you!

Exactly what Bebop says, I like the way your eye are drawn straight to the razor then wander around the image. Nice bokeh too.
Cheers Chris!

:agree: this was almost exactly my thought process. Good shot for the theme, enjoy your holiday.
Thanks Steve!

Taken straight to the razor, overall a nice pic, just the yellow bit which takes the eye away. Like the little bokeh balls too
Thank you Michael!

Nice idea, did you clean your teeth with shaving cream?
Cheers Clive!

Whole - I didn't see original image, but I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of the revised milk image either.
The shadows top & bottom don't work for me... I might have been tempted to really push the levels to turn it hi-key, but even then I'm wondering if the shadows would stop it working (maybe some work with the gradient tool needed too?)
But that's just me.
I like the second shot much better, though again I would have played a bit in pp to hide the shirt sleeve (I would have removed the watch beforehand) to give an Addams Family 'Thing' vibe to it :)

Structure - Ah, the Wobbly Bridge and Southwark Power Station :) Both things of beauty.
Was there an angle you could have gotten the whole of (the white bit of) the Globe in too?
Bastion House... That's part of The Barbican isn't it? Post War modernism at it's best(1)

Routine - Holiday.. Grrr.
Mind you, not sure what the holiday spirit has done to you, putting toothpaste on you razor.
Liking the colours and the bokeh :)
Thank you Tim! Bastion House and the Museum of London were built by the some architects as the Barbican, but the work on these didn't start until a few years after the residential and theatre bit of the Barbican was completed. I'd rather say 'it's attached to' than 'is's part of' :)

I thought it would be making your wife her early morning cuppa, after all she's taking you on holiday:) Back to the razor I thought the red reflection was blood and then saw it was your fingers, do you normally use toothpaste instead of soap:D Its routine alright.
Thanks Shirley!

Lovely idea Bernd, nice and sharp too (y)
Cheers Chris!

That's why I don't shave at 4.55am for work as I'm still asleep, god knows what you put on your tooth brush.
Thank you!

Love the focus on this Bernd ...really nicely done.
Thank you Susie!

The shallow dof works for me - and the toothpaste generated some discussion :) Pretty bokeh, too - something to liven up a boring morning routine - hope you're enjoying your lack of it!
Thanks Emma!

Structure: Good angle and nice and sharp, with some nice detail in the sky.
Routine: Good idea for the theme
Cheers Dominic!

Nice idea for Routine and at least you didn't mix up the toothpaste and haemorrhoid cream :p
Thank you Jill!

Welcome back from holiday, hope you had a good one.

There's certainly lots of numbers so fits the theme perfectly. Not sure if you could have done it but maybe a long exposure blurring the number in the red might have added a bit of movement to the image (no idea how long it would need to do that though).

There's certainly lots of numbers so fits the theme perfectly. Not sure if you could have done it but maybe a long exposure blurring the number in the red might have added a bit of movement to the image (no idea how long it would need to do that though).
Thank you Steve, I had a great holiday! Unfortunately it would take quite a while to make the red number blurry: our average daily use is about 0.3 kWh...

actually: our average hourly use is 0.3 kWh, but that's still a bit long...

Hmmm ... got to agree with @susiejb "not as exciting as your usual shots". Reshoot?

You are doing your best to keep up, and that's good. :)

Glad you had a good holiday Bernd, Numbers is a good shot, nice focus and for some reason I like the little hole on the LHS on AO3K :)
Thank you David!

Hi Bernd glad you had a good holiday. Lots of numbers there, not as exciting as your usual shots but on theme and to the point.
Thanks Susie!

Great idea Brnnd
Cheers Mark!

Hope you had a great time away - this looks slightly wonky, but if your meter is as difficult to reach as ours I wouldn't be surprised!
Thank you Emma!

Hmmm ... got to agree with @susiejb "not as exciting as your usual shots". Reshoot?

You are doing your best to keep up, and that's good. :)
Thanks David! My planned shot didn't happen due to construction works, and I didn't want to fall behind. I agree that it's a bit uninspired.

don't know if its been mentioned, but perhaps you could have done a long exposure using flash and bulb mode.. i did it for the passage of Time with a clock, waited x seconds and triggered the flash in a pitch dark room, waited, triggered it again.. just sharing an idea ...

though tbh, i found there to be too many numbers..BUT the theme is numbers so fitting..

Great idea! I have to try that... although I fear it never gets pitch black anywhere in our house...

Hi Brrnd,
A bit PABD, but we're all guilty of that on occasions ;)
I'm going to mention 18%... Though I suspect it's silver and not white, so perhaps it is spot on.
Thanks Tim, it is silver :)

Back