weekly Blondie606's 52 in 2014 Wk 52 Support-THE END :-)

Thanks for the words of advice for us 52 newbies. I like the composition of lines. Nicely processed. The scrabble board works well, a nice touch focussing on 'week 2'.

Gerry

Like this scrabble shot and the b&w is a good shout
The OCD in me can see the left hand side of the board is slightly raised and therefore makes things not look entirely straight, but I think that's really my problem!

Hi Lynne...a Scrabble addict I did think of doing one like this....your choice of words looks good...perhaps your battered board would look good in colour !

Cheers Susie , trust me , the color version was awful :eek:

Firstly well done on your Photo of the Week :clap: I can see why they picked that one.
I like the composition of the tracks and the way they just start to veer off at the end.
The scrabble is made by your clever selection of words (y)

Many thanks for the congrats :)

clever use of words Lynne! I think it needs a slight straighten, these scrabble boards seem a bit awkward to photograph to get the composition right :thinking:, might have to find ours out

Ta Michael , the board is more warped than the winner of the most warped thing competition so I gave up trying to get it 100% level :banghead:

Cleaver use of the words on the board(y) Think a very slight anticlockwise rotation but that's being picky. Well done!

Thanks Adam , made things worse when I rotated it cos it just won't lie flat.....maybe I ought to have ironed it :LOL:

Just had a look at your amended image works much much better now the words go the right way lol.

yeah...I really should learn to read instructions......

Happy to please Neil...how's life treating you over there ?

Don't knock yourself - nothing wrong with this photo at all - it suits a mono conversion.

Not a patch on the stuff you've been producing though...still , gives me something to aim for (y)

Nice entry for this week, I would like a bit more contrast though... Still have no idea what I'm going to do!

Hmmm...see what you mean about the contrast , thanks for the tip :)

it works for me, like the perspective of the lines going up through the board, what sort of a word is "TC" though??

TC is my kinda word:p

I like this (and the original), good lighting, very nice composition although it does seem to be on a bit of a slope left to right (laid on a bed maybe??)

Nope , laid ion a table top....very warped board though....

Clever shot and lovely b/w processing!

Many thanks M :)

I like it Lynne.......Consistantly Solid technique demonstrated, even if you did'nt feel inspired.....Well done!

Cheers mister :)

Clever idea and great processing. As others have said, I think a (very) slight anti-clockwise rotation is in order. I'm sure I'm just being picky here but - it bothers me that the closest tiles are slightly out of focus. A larger DoF would help, I think.

yeah , I wasn't to happy with the foremost letters being slightly oof either but....then I gave up as had already had to reshoot it due to not following the rules of scrabble 1st time round :oops: :$

Hi Lynne liking the b/w for this weeks challenge and the choice of words also. :)

Thanks Sharon :)

I like the B&W and the depth of field as well as the idea. I am a bit late posting as I preferred the version with the diagonal Challenge! It made it more dynamic to me. Still like this one though.

At last...someone who liked the original...rules are meant to be broken I reckon (y)

Odd - It's a great image but I'm still stumped as to what it is!
Line - Nice simple image but my eyes are drawn to the pp at the top of the frame.
Play - Good. It seems to be leaning to the right but it's not! I like the mono treatment and the DOF.

Thanks Paul:)

I think I must have missed some different versions somewhere along the way. Even though there's colour on the board I tend to agree with your choice of a mono conversion. DoF good as well.

Thanks Peter , don't worry , you only missed me playing scrabble in a totally wrong fashion...apparently :LOL:

Play - I think we should Play I might have a chance of winning :)

I like what you have done like the old battered board and the b&w on theme good shot

You most certainly would win :D

Hi Lynne,

What a strong start you're having!!

Odd - fantastic and a great original idea!
Line - I like the symmetry and the black and white conversion - at first I found the signal distracting but it is part of the railway and I don't think it distracts too much
Play - I can't believe you don't play Scrabble, maybe you should take it on your weekend away soon, it could be a useful photo prop as well!

Thanks Sarah.....weekends away are for using large quantities of memory cards ........;)

loving the scrabble

cheers :)

Like this scrabble shot and the b&w is a good shout
The OCD in me can see the left hand side of the board is slightly raised and therefore makes things not look entirely straight, but I think that's really my problem!

Hi Chris...not your problem...the board is warped....I just tilt my head when I look at it :D

Hi Lynne
Play - good idea, well fociussed and tiles well laid out. Wuold trim the top as per Allan@alsjazzera. But all looks a bit grey to me and lacking impact. Bit difficult using an old board and then trying to get it all symmetrical - perhaps better to have shot at an angle :thinking:

Last edited:
Hi Lynne
Play - good idea, well fociussed and tiles well laid out. Wuold trim the top as per Allan@alsjazzera. But all looks a bit grey to me and lacking impact. Bit difficult using an old board and then trying to get it all symmetrical - perhaps better to have shot at an angle :thinking:

Hmmmm...not thought about shooting at an angle....can always do it on a reshoot week....& I should have upped the contrast more , the board is partially grey & the tiles cream so it was never gone be standout white n black :(

Things are well thank you Lynne.
You and the rest of the gang not sorted the UAE togging tour yet?

Don't even tempt me , with the take over at work giving us all a pay cut I'm having to be very careful with dosh at the mo....but I'm working on it :D

Week 3........2 offerings as really not sure which I prefer .

& before anyone mentions focus stacking......yes I could have but didn't...stood on a windy Icelandic beach getting dripped on by the rocks overhead was not conducive to faffing !

Closely stacked rocks,almost like slate plus the red pebble close to the edge..

Wk 3 Close
by llj666, on Flickr

Also on the rocks/slate I spotted this meagre bit of greenery growing close to the edge , framed it close to the edge deliberately & used the Tamron 90mm , the black bits in the bg are other tiny pebbles which would have taken quite sometime to clear away...so they stayed !

Wk 3 Close
by llj666, on Flickr

Hi Lynne, two nice pics, not sure which one I prefer love the colour in both of them, great composition too
can't fault either:clap:
:notworthy:

Two great images Lynne (y) If I had to choose, it would be the first, the contrasting colours between the rock and .....errrr.....the rock :D is very appealing to me :)

Last edited:
I'm having to go with the first - the contrast between te round red pebble, and the lines of the slate make it, also the DOF is appealing as it includes all the subject, but seperates it from the BG

in the second the subject isn't all there, and the BG distracts. Lovely green though.

A super couple of images. You might have being getting dripped on for #1 but this wouldn't have had the same impact if the rocks had been dry. #2's DoF is just right. anything more would distract. Well worth the trip just for these two. You've made me very jealous. Iceland is definitely somewhere I'd love to go and in fact my sister is there as I type.

I once read a book Blink and one thing I took from it was that I often judge something very quickly and give it a yay or nay.

These are yays. Crackers, really. #2 is nice but #1 is a cracker. Very stark photograph. The isolated pebble is wonderful, as is the colour.

Focus stacking :)...would have ruined these (y)

NB, if I were to crit, they look a tad blue. Not sure if B&W would work...maybe not as I like the colour in the pebble.

Cheers

Last edited:
OMG how have I missed you :oops: :$:facepalm:

Odd, how very clever. Now what is it and how did you do it? I would say that a little more of the texture grain top right needs to be seen added, it's quite smooth compared to the other side!

Line, love the contrast and the lead in lines. The track curling off on the background makes you want to look around the corner. My only crit is your PP, have you been using the clone tool? There looks a good chunk of repeating patterns from just above the sign post on the left.

Play, it's a little too grey for me, maybe push the whites a bit? Being really [icky I'd like to see all of the word play in focus!

Close 1, love that little pebble and the narrow DOF. Is this a bit of SC?
Close 2, this is the shot for me, it has more interest and the green tones from the plant into the background really work (y)

Glad to see you back in for another year, I've just been looking at some of your landscape shots on Flickr, amazing :notworthy:

What... no time for faffing, shame on you :D

Even without the faffing you have come up with a couple of great shots, the plant shot is nice, I like the colour but after seeing the first image I would have liked to see the greenery a tad deeper depth.

The stone/rock shot is spot on, just the right DoF for the subject, but loving the textures on both :clap:

Wk 3 Close
by llj666, on Flickr

Also on the rocks/slate I spotted this meagre bit of greenery growing close to the edge , framed it close to the edge deliberately & used the Tamron 90mm , the black bits in the bg are other tiny pebbles which would have taken quite sometime to clear away...so they stayed !

Wk 3 Close
by llj666, on Flickr[/quote]

I really like both of these - nice fine art shots. The textures in them are beautiful.

Hi Lynne
2 excellent conceptions , both very good. #1 quite abstract and #2 has lovely splash of colour. I don't know whether #1 could be boosted in some way as the red is quite subtle - but perhaps it was anyway :thinking:. Also, I might consider a bit of a crop on top of #1 and LHS of #2, so that the oof b/g doesn't overwhelm the shot. Merely thoughts. Good detail in both and a productive trip - why do you like theses cold places????

I like both of them Lynne, difficult to choose between them, as they both have the same feel to them.
Creative use of dof to isolate your subject, lovely colour tones too. Most importantly (for me), pebbles, how can anyone not like a photograph if it's got pebbles in it? :D

Seriously though Lynne, as Sarah said above, fine art shots, I could easily see these printed large and hung on the wall. Good work missus ;)

Lovely colours and texture in the first shot, I really like it.
The second is good too but the DOF is a bit too shallow for me.

I prefer the greenery one, maybe it's the position or the colour it just looks better to me although they are both good shots (y)

It's #1 for me. I love the texture on the slate and red pebble which is enhanced by the the fact they're wet and the contrast between the red and the slatey colour. On #2, the fall off of focus on the back of the moss slightly detracts from it for me.

I like the first one Lynne, the two rock colours compliment each other perfectly and theres some nice lines in the grey rock leading you through the frame. it also looks great wet so well worth getting rained on! :)

Hi Lynne.

No 1 for me....Simply perfect. The clarity, textures and composition are great. Kind of abstract feel too it which works well with the colours. If I had to be super super super fussy, I'd perhaps contemplate cloning out the dark spot on top left and right corners?

Another strong week for you! (y)

Back