weekly Carl's 2019 52 Project - Week 17 - Light

I develop my own film too so it’s a scene I’m familiar with a different interpretation of the theme, I like it.

Object: stunning looking camera. would not have a clue what to do with it :thinking:. You’ve taken some beautiful pictures with it. I will have to look at them properly later when I’ve caught up with commenting.

Wet: Very clever. Very good idea for the theme and great you were able to cover the technique as well. Like others have said the green adds a nice bit of colour.

Waiting- Excellent shot, works very well in mono, love the blackness in the background
Object-Great shot of what looks like an awesome camera. I've always fancied trying a 4x5 camera, but my darkroom skills wouldn't do it credit.
Wet-What a great idea, plus a tick for technique

Wow, Carl what a set of images.
Rough I like the mono must admit
Object Absolutely great, the whole idea and outcome really good.
Wet what’s not to like !

Nice bit of wet there Carl :)

Thats a great take on the theme and a good shot for SooC. Developing is something I always wanted to try but never got around to it unfortunately.

A beautifully simple and effective image, that is spot on for the theme.
Well done for getting the technique too.
The green cord adds a nice splash of colour, and works well with the clean background.
Nice work Carl.(y)

Thanks very much Gareth!

I develop my own film too so it’s a scene I’m familiar with a different interpretation of the theme, I like it.

Thanks Allan, it's a great feeling when the negatives come out of the tanks, isn't it.

What a great take and shot for the theme, tried to develop films many years ago and loved the smell in the darkroom. Also like the green cord to give it the extra touch.

Thanks Dave!

Object: stunning looking camera. would not have a clue what to do with it :thinking:. You’ve taken some beautiful pictures with it. I will have to look at them properly later when I’ve caught up with commenting.

Wet: Very clever. Very good idea for the theme and great you were able to cover the technique as well. Like others have said the green adds a nice bit of colour.

Thanks Mandy, once you get used to it it's quite simple to use, but it takes quite a while to set up and take a photo! Plus there are about fifteen million different ways to ruin a sheet of film, so you have to pay attention a bit.

Waiting- Excellent shot, works very well in mono, love the blackness in the background
Object-Great shot of what looks like an awesome camera. I've always fancied trying a 4x5 camera, but my darkroom skills wouldn't do it credit.
Wet-What a great idea, plus a tick for technique

Cheers Jon, much appreciated! It's quite easy to develop the film now, there's a Mod54 system that holds six sheets of film in a small dev tank, and once it's loaded you can just stand in the kitchen with the lights on pouring chemicals in and out in turn :)

Wow, Carl what a set of images.
Rough I like the mono must admit
Object Absolutely great, the whole idea and outcome really good.
Wet what’s not to like !

Thank you Chris :)

Nice bit of wet there Carl :)

Cheers Dave!

Thats a great take on the theme and a good shot for SooC. Developing is something I always wanted to try but never got around to it unfortunately.

Thanks Lee, it's never too late to shoot some film and give it a go ;)

I've been waiting for this take on the theme and wonder who would be the first. It's a nice taken shot. More or less mono apart from the nice touch of clour across the top.

Thanks Stan

What a lovely subject for Object, Carl, and you've brought out some great textures in its various surfaces and controlled the reflections well, especially in the silver metal. Super to see some images from it too, and they look excellent!

Wet + SOOC is a handy continuation of the film theme and the green cord absolutely pops from the screen. I don't think it would have the same impact without that bold colour contrasting with the B&W images on the paper (y)

Last edited:
Great images for Wet Carl, A* for effort too, really well done!

What a lovely subject for Object, Carl, and you've brought out some great textures in its various surfaces and controlled the reflections well, especially in the silver metal. Super to see some images from it too, and they look excellent!

Wet + SOOC is a handy continuation of the film theme and the green cord absolutely pops from the screen. I don't think it would have the same impact without that bold colour contrasting with the B&W images on the paper (y)

Thank you for the comments Andrea, much appreciated!

Great images for Wet Carl, A* for effort too, really well done!

Cheers Daniel!

Hi Carl, can only echo everyone’s comments, your photos with the film camera are fabulous ....your dedication definitely pays off.

It’s good to see the final mage from this weeks entry, a perfect choice for this weeks topic and good to see something a bit different.

Wet
Good job, I'm not really into film, but i can see why others like it.

As gareth says, simple but effective. I like the fact that it's photographic developing involved. Fits very well

Hi Carl, can only echo everyone’s comments, your photos with the film camera are fabulous ....your dedication definitely pays off.

Thanks a lot Susie

It’s good to see the final mage from this weeks entry, a perfect choice for this weeks topic and good to see something a bit different.
Wet
Good job, I'm not really into film, but i can see why others like it.

Cheers Dominic

As gareth says, simple but effective. I like the fact that it's photographic developing involved. Fits very well

Thanks Ian

Week 10 - Free Week + tech (SooC)

We got three hens two weeks ago and this one is called Mabel. They are ex battery hens who are learning to love being outside digging for worms in the garden. They move surprisingly fast which makes them difficult to take photos of!

Fuji X-T2 with 23mm f/2. Gotta love them Fuji colours!

IMG_0320.jpg

Last edited:
That's a lovely looking chuck - agree on the Fuji :)

I would love to keep chickens, maybe one day. Lovely colours as you say.

That's a lovely looking chuck - agree on the Fuji :)

Cheers Dave!

I would love to keep chickens, maybe one day. Lovely colours as you say.

I always said that too, and then after reading about ex bats I decided to go for it. Surprisingly they take up very little space in the garden and also very little time each week. We've had them two weeks now and their individual personalities have really started to come out.

Fuji colours rock, a very nice colourful shot.

Thanks Dave

Fantastic, sharp image Carl.(y)
Mabel looks like she definitely doesn't take any nonsense!!:giggle:
Indeed the Fuji colours look superb, and that 23mm f/2 is no slouch either....great details.

Cheers Gareth, Mabel is usually the first to come out into the garden and scratch about for worms. I did take my eyes off them for two minutes yesterday though, and they decided to try and dig up the rose bed!

Nice and sharp Carl. good capture

Thanks a lot Chenti

Hi Carl, Sorry I haven't been by before now! (I though I had!)

Some lovely images so far I love Clean. Great to see another film user too ( I really need to get out with one of my film cameras again! the trouble I have is I can not process at home yet!)

Free - Great colours and detail

Wow the colours look great Carl! Nice looking chick too... ;)

Hi Carl, Sorry I haven't been by before now! (I though I had!)

Some lovely images so far I love Clean. Great to see another film user too ( I really need to get out with one of my film cameras again! the trouble I have is I can not process at home yet!)

Free - Great colours and detail

Cheers Mark :) There seems to be a handful of us film users in the 52, which is great! Processing your own film is a piece of cake so it's definitely worth doing it!

Wow the colours look great Carl! Nice looking chick too... ;)

Thank you Daniel

Great shot Carl. Very colourful hen. I love hens. The gentle noises they make when they are wandering around happy, is quite soothing

That's a great shot for SooC. You and your camera are really pulling out the detail and colour. The feathers are especially good. Very nice :)

Great shot Carl. Very colourful hen. I love hens. The gentle noises they make when they are wandering around happy, is quite soothing

Cheers Ian :) Yes the noises they make are brilliant, like having a bit of countryside in my back garden!

That's a great shot for SooC. You and your camera are really pulling out the detail and colour. The feathers are especially good. Very nice :)

Thanks Lee!

Hi Carl,

Wet - Very clever and works for the theme for me. Good to see the final image too.
Free Week - I agree with the comments around the colours you've captured, very nice. Reminds me a bit of when I was a kids and we kept hens for eggs.

Week 11 - Entrance

Hope you like chicken photos, because here's another one :LOL:

This time it's Optimus Prime on the left and Mabel on the right, with Kip somewhere inside waiting to come out.

Technically they're exiting the coop, but they're also entering their run so it fits the theme :D

Fuji X-T2 with 18-55 again.

DSCF1419.jpg

Nice chooks :D

I like a chicken so its all good and I will take your explanation as to the theme :chicken:

Comical and interesting image Carl....love it!
I do enjoy a chicken too....not in that way....I enjoy the company of chickens....ooo, that sounds weird now!:eek:
Oh stop typing Gareth!!!:banghead:
I should explain....as child I used to help my Mum keep chickens (bantams) so I think they're hilarious to watch!
Great naming technique you have there too....Optimus Prime....inspired!!(y)
Anyway, a fitting image for the theme, with some great storytelling!
Nice work Carl!

Back