weekly ChrisHeathcote TP52 Challenge - Back with "Animal" and "Special"

Crowd - I like it and works for the theme.

Close up - the second image for me the flower is nice, lovely bright vibrant colours and plenty of detail.

Reshoot of bold - good image for the theme.

Machines - I really can't fault bikes, great shot love it.

Sound - fits the theme and having photographed them myself, I know how loud they can be.

Last edited:
Well in my usual style of using a single event to catch, here's my latest. All taken on Saturday night whilst my wife participated in a 100km ride for Womens Cancer. Whilst I know they're are many technical flaws (mainly to do with focus) I guess you could say the whole night was an Experiment as this was my first event and as they were taken between 9pm and 5am (with no sleep) it was a little on the dark side:

Re-shoot Machine
Ride The Night May 30, 2015 4101_.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Heat
Ride The Night May 30, 2015 4435_.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

After cycling for 100km in the rain she was definitely at her Limit
Ride The Night May 31, 2015 4716_.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

A little Experiment with PP, as it was an event for women cancer I thought I'd make the participants stand out a little
Ride The Night May 30, 2015 4160_.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Bizarre
Ride The Night May 30, 2015 4460_.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

She seemed to be Entertained
Ride The Night May 30, 2015 4200_.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Hi Chris - really like the Machine re-shoot. Colours and detail are fabulous. Haven't posted Heat yet because mine have serious issues (blown highlights) and not sure how to overcome that - the glow on the man's face and body are awesome so maybe that's how I should portray it, almost as an effect rather than full on?!? Aaaargh!

Wow, mega catchup Chris and kudos for sticking with it :clap::clap::clap:

I love the expression you've captured for LIMIT, certainly looks like she's close to hers :eek:

My favourite is Bizarre as I love the colours, the crispness, without having a flipping clue what it is (y)

Experiment must have took some doing although I think the pink is not a great contrast with the grey but I understand why you chose that colour.

Gonna have to pick my favourite as time is against me.

Heat has to for me. Nice overall exposure and you did well with the flames. I'd crop in closer....mainly to remove the trousers :)

Cheers.

Gonna have to pick my favourite as time is against me.

Heat has to for me. Nice overall exposure and you did well with the flames. I'd crop in closer....mainly to remove the trousers :)

Cheers.

Thanks for taking the time Andy

If you want to remove his trousers then thats up to you, personally he's not my type ;)

Wow, mega catchup Chris and kudos for sticking with it :clap::clap::clap:

I love the expression you've captured for LIMIT, certainly looks like she's close to hers :eek:

My favourite is Bizarre as I love the colours, the crispness, without having a flipping clue what it is (y)

Experiment must have took some doing although I think the pink is not a great contrast with the grey but I understand why you chose that colour.
Thanks for the comments Jill, selective colouring really isn't my thing, but its all I could shoehorn in as a placeholder :D

Great catch up Chris. My favourite is Bizarre - I love the shapes and colours and the feeling of movement you get from it - a really good abstract image :clap:

wow Chris a great catch up. All are really amazing shots. Love the experiment one.

Hi Chris,

great catch up :)

I think heat and limit are my favourites - both convey the themes really well

Top images Chris.

Phil

Thanks for stoping by Phil :D

Great catch up Chris. My favourite is Bizarre - I love the shapes and colours and the feeling of movement you get from it - a really good abstract image :clap:

Glad you like it, for some reason as soon as I saw it on the screen it jumped out at me :)

wow Chris a great catch up. All are really amazing shots. Love the experiment one.

Thanks Michalene, glad you enjoyed

Hi Chris,

great catch up :)

I think heat and limit are my favourites - both convey the themes really well

Thanks Lorraine, it's been challenging of late so I'm trying to get shots where I can :D

Ok, so another catch-up. This time for Broken.

This was an archive image taken a couple of years ago, however as with many other images on my hard drive it has never been edited, until now that is. Originally taken as a colour RAW. I have converted it to B/W as I felt it added to the image. The building is the Old Hall at Hardwick Hall which now stands as a shell protected by English Heritage.

IMG_0033.jpg by Chris Heathcote, on Flickr

Re shoot machine. Plenty of power pedalled machines there and tell there own story of the night.
Heat, Entertain, Broken: Fits the theme well.
Limit: tells the story of both ladies and how reaching the end how one seems to have reached her limit but the other lady possibly got further to go to reach her limit.
Experiment: Works for me.
Bizarre: Love this image :clap:

Keep up the good work

Re shoot machine. Plenty of power pedalled machines there and tell there own story of the night.
Heat, Entertain, Broken: Fits the theme well.
Limit: tells the story of both ladies and how reaching the end how one seems to have reached her limit but the other lady possibly got further to go to reach her limit.
Experiment: Works for me.
Bizarre: Love this image :clap:

Keep up the good work
Thanks for popping in Mandy, I'll try ;)

As to the bikes there was a fair variety of bikes from battered older bikes to multi thousand pound machines. It was a long night but I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Hi Tim,
Broken: Definitely something out of a movie set. Nice subject - would love to get inside with the camera.

Hi Chris

Great selection of pics from the charity bike ride ... really liking Bizarre!

And love the Hitchcockesque of broken. (y)

hmmm, not sure about the pp for broken, it looks grey rather than B&W and also a little underexposed. I like the building though :)

Hi Chris,

Broken - good choice for the theme and I think the mono conversion works well, it looks more stark and that adds to the theme for me (if that makes sense :)

Hi Chris. Much better for Broken. Love all the action with the shattered pieces flying everywhere, the sprawling figure and angle of the bike as well as the bikers in the bg. Nice composition.:clap:

Broken - the way the rider is looking at the bike conveys a broken heart as well as the literally fudged Bike, awesome capture

Hi Chris. Much better for Broken. Love all the action with the shattered pieces flying everywhere, the sprawling figure and angle of the bike as well as the bikers in the bg. Nice composition.:clap:

Very nice capture. :clap:

Ouch! a very broken motorbike, spot on timing.

Broken - the way the rider is looking at the bike conveys a broken heart as well as the literally fudged Bike, awesome capture

Broken - Well damn that sure is... nice capture Chris (y)

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment, apologies for being so slack with responses over the last few months. Motivation for photography has been a bit on the low side and decided to give myself a bit of a time out. I even tried to reduce the amount of time I spent on the forum. Anyway hopefully I am back and I am going to try and catch up a little.

Ok here's one to get me started, I'm afraid that my catch up may be a little out of order but hey-ho

Animal

I'm not going to apologise for the gratuities shot of our little girl. However as the newest (and cutest) member of the family and also one who as yet doesn't run for cover as soon as I get the camera out. Here's our little bear Luna.

What a beautiful dog - something about the eyes suggests a kind friendly nature. Nicely taken and a lovely image Chris. Just when I posted, up popped Special - another wonderful image this time of a playful pup. Love the coloured tassel and the look.

Last edited:
Hi Chris

Special is a cracker ... she's got a cute pose, and you've done a nice focus job. There are 2 or 3 white spots on her face, look like they shouldn't be there, not your sensor is it?

Hi Chris,

Catching up on your catch up...

Broken: I like the mono conversion on the first one. The grain/noise adds to the old and broken feel. The second shot definitely is broken. Poor guy must be gutted looking on as his machine flies apart in front of him.
Animal: Cuter than a cute thing! Perfect (y)
Special: Again - sooo cute and very special :)

Back