Cloudforest's 52 for 2023, Week 26, Watching

A sad reminder of just some of the many lives lost in the mining industry here in the UK.
Is that re-claimed land from colliery waste behind?

Last edited:
It is Peter, the main spoil tip is behind the memorial and to the right.

A very poignant shot of your local area. Good luck with the 52.

Nice shot - guessing the numbers are the ages of the miners. Makes it even more sad.
Nicely framed and like the reflection of the sky in the memorial as well.

A lovely poignant shot Pete. Too many of these type of disasters happened. I'm not that far here in South Wales from Senghenydd where over 500 lost their lives in two separate disasters at the start of the 20th century (81 in 1901 and then 439 in 1913).

A very poignant shot of your local area. Good luck with the 52.
Thanks Helen.

A sad reminder and a very poignant shot indeed. We have a memorial here for the 167 men in the Piper A disaster. I worked on that platform for 4 years but left only a few years before the accident.
To me, it’s important we don’t lose these memories. This memorial was only put there a few years ago and despite it being a bit out of the way, it’s been respected so far.

I like that. I like how you've incorporated a little more meaning in to the shot rather than just a picture of where you live.

I'm also from a mining town (Ashington, Northumberland) so it has a little more resonance for me.
Thanks Kell,
I did try and get a bit more of the old pit tip in the background but this pic showed the inscriptions better.

Nice shot - guessing the numbers are the ages of the miners. Makes it even more sad.
Nicely framed and like the reflection of the sky in the memorial as well.
Thanks Graham. Yes, I think the numbers are the ages.

A lovely poignant shot Pete. Too many of these type of disasters happened. I'm not that far here in South Wales from Senghenydd where over 500 lost their lives in two separate disasters at the start of the 20th century (81 in 1901 and then 439 in 1913).
Thanks Simon. There were too many here in S.Yorkshire too.

A sad but well-kept memorial and I like the reflections in the shiny marble. Good luck with your 52.
Thanks Andrea.

Nice start to your 52 people who die in these circumstances should never be forgotten

Works well. Nice bright day, and spot on for the theme

Your area - Zoomed in on the photo and was shocked to see one of the names is showing as only 15! There is many jobs undertaken with an inherent level of risk we should all be grateful that people are willing to undertake.
Incomplete - The composition works well with plenty of interest.

That's a nice image Pete. Was the abbey torn down in 1538 or did it collapse for some other reason?

Nice incomplete shot Pete. I like how the structure and shadows lead you from left to right (for me anyway)!

Works well. Nice bright day, and spot on for the theme
Thanks Graham.

Your area - Zoomed in on the photo and was shocked to see one of the names is showing as only 15! There is many jobs undertaken with an inherent level of risk we should all be grateful that people are willing to undertake.
Incomplete - The composition works well with plenty of interest.
Thanks Stuart. I agree with all your sentiments re. risky jobs.

That's a nice image Pete. Was the abbey torn down in 1538 or did it collapse for some other reason?
Thanks Bill. It was torn down during the Reformation when HenryVIII formed the Church of England. The monasteries were a reminder of the power of the Cathloic Church.

Nice incomplete shot Pete. I like how the structure and shadows lead you from left to right (for me anyway)!
Thanks Simon - much appreciated.

Week 3 Artificial

Originally a dome shaped peat bog, this landscape in the Humberhead Levels has been altered by many years of intense turf extraction and the removal of sand and gravel deposits.

TP 52 2023 Week 3 Artificial by Peter C, on Flickr

Last edited:
Brrr... you've certainly captured the freezing fog. A simple but very effective composition.

Looks cold Peter. I suppose everything modified by man is artificial to some extent.

Artificial or just ruined? Or both? Nice take on the theme :)

An artificial landscape! Great take on the theme. I like the foggy, soft feel of the image.

Brrr... you've certainly captured the freezing fog. A simple but very effective composition.
Thanks Helen,
It was one of those days where it was freezing fog in one area and bright sun a mile or so up the road. Good to be out in it though.

Looks cold Peter. I suppose everything modified by man is artificial to some extent.
Thanks Peter.
I struggled a bit with the theme this week as most things can be said to be artificial I reckon
Had to get it done early doors too as I'm away for work now.

A simple and very atmospheric image. Fit the theme.
Thanks Stan.

Therein lies a number of debatable issues.
I'm going with ruined but I'm impressed with the restoration work currently going on.

Thanks Helen,
It was one of those days where it was freezing fog in one area and bright sun a mile or so up the road. Good to be out in it though.

Thanks Peter.
I struggled a bit with the theme this week as most things can be said to be artificial I reckon
Had to get it done early doors too as I'm away for work now.

A simple and very atmospheric image. Fit the theme.
Thanks Stan.

Therein lies a number of debatable issues.
I'm going with ruined but I'm impressed with the restoration work currently going on.
An artificial landscape! Great take on the theme. I like the foggy, soft feel of the image.
Thanks Bill, much appreciated

Interesting item though I think it needs to be sitting on something

My kind of place looks very peaceful, good idea for snappers choice.

Nice wide angle giving lots of foreground interest. Great blue sky and light on the cliffs.

Back