weekly Cobra's 2020 cataclysmic catastrophes Week 52 decorate and done!

Abstract
Both impressive photos. I actually think I prefer the second shot.

Possibly not the best of 52' 2020, but its a favourite because its was the best stacked image that I had managed thus far..

W2s.jpg

And of course I couldn't resist posting a creepy crawly just for Tim, @LC2 in recognition of his hard work this year (y)

Jumping-Spider.jpg

Last edited:
Showcase
The stack has worked really well. It's lovely and sharp right the way from front to back.

I do like the pocket watch Chris. Very nicely donw how you got the background to go oof without it impacting the watch. Affinity ftw!
Cheers Tim (y)
It was taken very close with the M50 & 15-45 kit lens ( its damned good IMO) wide open well that iirc f/4.5.

Affinity ftw!
That has to be one of my best purchases of 2020 (y)

As for the 8 legged thing. No comment !
:LOL:

Showcase
The stack has worked really well. It's lovely and sharp right the way from front to back.
Thanks Dom. I was very pleased with it too (y)

The stack is great - interesting subject, and also nice to get the chain still with a gentle fall off. When I get stacks moving from in focus to not is a very obvious and sharp fall off which looks horrid [emoji20]

The stack is great - interesting subject, and also nice to get the chain still with a gentle fall off.
Thanks Alex (y)

When I get stacks moving from in focus to not is a very obvious and sharp fall off which looks horrid
I'm guessing that was more by luck than judgement

Stacking is such a pain I find it very hit and miss on both Affinity and PS but that’s a very good example of it working, nice spider too

The shot of the watch is really well done and stacking is something I should have another go at.
The spider though is just simply wonderful. (y)

Stacking is such a pain I find it very hit and miss on both Affinity and PS but that’s a very good example of it working, nice spider too
Cheers Allan (y) Affinity knocks the hell out of PS for stacking, its makes it so easy (y)
Of course a lot depends on how good the base images are, one ( missed) wrong'un in there, and it can so easily go to hell.

The shot of the watch is really well done and stacking is something I should have another go at.
The spider though is just simply wonderful. (y)
Cheers Pete for both (y)

Nice clock - stacks of detail :D

That's a beautiful pocket watch. Perfectly stacked to show off all the fine details. How many shots was that? I've yet to use this facility in AP....
Cheers Stan (y)
IIRC it was 12.

maybe one of the themes in 2021. ;)
There's nothing to say that you can't stack any theme :)

Chris, your spiders are always excellent but I do like your watch for the detail. The wood background sets it off well. I don't think I have the patience to focus stack.

Chris, your spiders are always excellent but I do like your watch for the detail. The wood background sets it off well. I don't think I have the patience to focus stack.
Cheers Clive (y)
Stacking, tbh I have to be in the mood to do it.
As yes, it does take a little concentration and yes a little patience too.

Week 52 decor(ate) and done..
This is as far as I go to decorate for Christmas.
My little pagan Santa of the forest and friends.

008a.jpg

002.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking more Gandolf.
:LOL: I hadn't thought of that, but now you mention it ..
One of your Dungeons and Dragons miniatures perhaps?
He stands about a foot high ....
Insert comment about @Cobra being a *dungeon master* here)

But I will tell you a little tale, a couple or so years back, the colour of my work PPE was Yellow ( its now bright Orange and I feel an even bigger twatt, but that's besides the point)
This was one late Nov.

As I walked into Tesco, in work kit, 2 small children crossed my path, with their mummy.
One yelled out "WHAT'S THAT"!?

Mummy said quietly, shhh that's a man ...
I looked at mummy and winked, I then said in a loud voice "The Elves don't let me wear red until December"

Mummy then said OMG! its SANTA!

I continued shopping, but every time I turned around, I had 2 wide-eyed kids right behind me.
Well I guess it made their day :D

I'm very much liking the pagan Santa. A nice finish to what has been an interesting interpretation of the themes this year by your good self (y)

Nice little scene, he looks pretty jolly to me. Good way to finish the 52.

Showcase: excellent job stacking - looks tricky because of the angle. I have Affinity but haven’t used it for this yet. My Olympus does it in camera, but I expect you have a bit more control with Affinity. As Tim mentioned, you have the background going out of focus nicely too.

Decor: No surprise you have a tree smaller than anyone else’s [emoji4] It looks like quite a lot of effort to put your unusual display together, to be honest.

Well done on finishing the 52 and thanks for all your work through the year.

I'm very much liking the pagan Santa. A nice finish to what has been an interesting interpretation of the themes this year by your good self (y)
Thanks Pete (y)

Nice little scene, he looks pretty jolly to me. Good way to finish the 52.
Cheers Jim (y)

Showcase: excellent job stacking - looks tricky because of the angle. I have Affinity but haven’t used it for this yet. My Olympus does it in camera, but I expect you have a bit more control with Affinity.
Thanks Bee (y)
I don't have a camera capable of stacking, so I'm not sure how it actually works. Multiple layers of exposures perhaps?
I may have more control, doing it manually so to speak, but then again, camera's are pretty damned clever these days..

Decor: No surprise you have a tree smaller than anyone else’s
emoji4.png

thanks for all your work through the year.

Thanks Bee (y)
I don't have a camera capable of stacking, so I'm not sure how it actually works. Multiple layers of exposures perhaps?
I may have more control, doing it manually so to speak, but then again, camera's are pretty damned clever these days..

Sony is the way to go for a camera for Stacking :p

Back