weekly Cobra's epic fail for 2015, week 52 A Christmas shoe horn and done :)

Well Well Well Mr Snake.....very impressive Water images...
My OCD would like the LH & RH glasses to be positioned the same in their frames ........
Companions......Beautiful portrait of a beautiful bird....can't really say anything else :clap:
Cheers Lynne I appreciate you stopping by :)
detail gets a little less on the glasses stem's , not sure why that would be ?
I don't know TBH but I see what you mean it was shot at f/11 I would have thought that would have been narrow enough to get it all in focus
(That Gyr x Saker may just be available for portrait session at the M-M BTW ;) )

I've altered the image a bit, obviously they are different individuals, but is that more to your OCD's Liking?
@Dem55 Lorraine, I've also curtailed the smoke to, is that better?

View attachment 30375

Last edited:
OK so having re-calibrated my screen I can now make out the droplets. Nice and sharp, I also like the colours in the glass :) The third in the set is my favourite
Cheers Chris (y)

:clap:

the one with the smoke is just fabulous :clap::clap:

Now that's what I call creative, Great effect you've achieved there Chris, (y)
really liking the smokey one, seen them live in Brixton academy 93, Great lazer show toboot ! :)
Both edits look okay on my screen btw, but the second is most eye-catching !! Great job done !!

Very weird Chris, looks like the plant isn't the only one doing a bit of smoking ;) Is it a 'pot' plant :tumbleweed:

I like them all but the smoke one is my favourite out of the three. It gives a very oriental feel. On theme? Well its in some water so I suppose it must be :)

Now that's what I call creative, Great effect you've achieved there Chris, (y)
really liking the smokey one, seen them live in Brixton academy 93, Great lazer show toboot ! :)
Both edits look okay on my screen btw, but the second is most eye-catching !! Great job done !!
Cheers Barney I appreciate you dropping by (y)
Very weird Chris, looks like the plant isn't the only one doing a bit of smoking ;) Is it a 'pot' plant :tumbleweed:
LOL and Groan :p
I like them all but the smoke one is my favourite out of the three. It gives a very oriental feel. On theme? Well its in some water so I suppose it must be :)
Just be grateful that it wasn't a lion gob shot with a bit of saliva dripping off a tooth :D
Thanks for dropping by Mike (y)

Watery - what a genius interiptation for the theme, great work on the pp work. I am struggling to find fault with the image, I think the one with the smoke in it is my fav one. To me I think the one with the water droplets would be the winner if the droplets were a bit bigger :thinking:

Watery - what a genius interiptation for the theme, great work on the pp work. I am struggling to find fault with the image, I think the one with the smoke in it is my fav one. To me I think the one with the water droplets would be the winner if the droplets were a bit bigger :thinking:
Thanks Mandy much appreciated (y)
I take your point about the drops too.
Unfortunately all I had that I could drip water from, with any accuracy was a small syringe,
as the glass actually isn't that big, (its a champagne flute, if you hadn't guessed).

Looks much better via Flick. I was going to say I'd like a little more detail, but it's there.

I'd prefer if they were all on the same plan.

Cheers.

Looks much better via Flick. I was going to say I'd like a little more detail, but it's there.
I'd prefer if they were all on the same plan. Cheers.
Cheers Andy I appreciate your in put (y)
Its strange that sometimes they look better on Flickr isn't it?
I take your point about the "placing" Maybe I'll have a little shuffle in P/s later :)

Good to see you still in the 52 Chris (y)
Your centre image of the triptych gets my vote. Lots of detail, particularly on the roots and I enjoyed the low key effect, it suits the subject which just enough light to define the edge of the glass. Good work

Nice take on the "Watery" theme, nice work.Phil
Thanks for Dropping by Phil (y)

Good to see you still in the 52 Chris (y)
Your centre image of the triptych gets my vote. Lots of detail, particularly on the roots and I enjoyed the low key effect, it suits the subject which just enough light to define the edge of the glass. Good work
Yep still hanging on by a thread Iain :D
I appreciate you taking the time to drop by and commenting (y)

And another tweak for Andy
@posiview What do you think? I reduced the overall depth as there was too much reflection ( I thought)

View attachment 30398

Well out of the three triptych attempts I prefer the second one with the more prominent middle glass, very good idea, well executed and not a cat in sight (y)

Well out of the three triptych attempts I prefer the second one with the more prominent middle glass, very good idea, well executed
Thanks Allan (y)
It just goes to show how subjective this photography lark is Eh? ;)

and not a cat in sight (y)
Can you not see the black panther hiding behind the 3rd glass? :D

Ooh, you clever snake you.... I've no idea how you did that :clap::clap::clap:

#2 Triptych for me sir.
Thanks for your kind comments Jill. (y)
I have a few things rooting in water.
I just hoofed one out, stuck it in a champagne flute,
in front and on a dark reflective background and bounced the flash off the white ceiling.
The drops were from a syringe, held a few inches above the glass,
very hit and miss that one, no photo trigger I just kept firing till I got one half decent.
The smoke was blow in the glass from a shisha pen, and left to flow out.

And Bob's yer Mums sisters husband as they say :)

Great idea for the theme and very clever too. I like the triptych treatment and the thought behind it. Of the three I think the last attempt (post #256) just edges it. I haven't read through others comments but for me the slightly inconsistence reflections just spoil an otherwise three very well taken shots.

So here we have it, (the not so) "Elegant"
There is nothing quite so elegant as a female delicately eating An hors-d'oeuvre.
:D

A bit of background, a young female Hybrid, Gyr x Saker, still in her baby clothes,
and only part trained, hopefully she'll be in the air in a couple of weeks, she has work to do ;)

IMG_6364
by Chris-the-falconer, on Flickr

Maybe a tad more ?

IMG_6383

Chris these trully are all fantastic photos but I have such a soft spot for these beauties

Last edited:
Hi Chris, why is this project a fail?

Love love love all the big cat shots, for companions I think the eyes shut one is best as they look so contented together!

That chick hatching is superb!

Elegant, the second one is beautiful.

Watery, the final triptych for me but I do prefer the more smoke in the third shot, it looks a bit stunted to me!

I hope your 52 continues along this path of failure ;)

The smoke makes the image for me - very cool effect, really nice, so #3 would be my choice.

Wouldn't class any of them 'epic fails' as your title suggests ;)

Great idea for the theme and very clever too. I like the triptych treatment and the thought behind it. Of the three I think the last attempt (post #256) just edges it. I haven't read through others comments but for me the slightly inconsistence reflections just spoil an otherwise three very well taken shots.
Cheers Stan, (y)
I hadn't noticed that about the reflections, TBH. but now you mention it...
I guess a tweak in P/s would soon sort that out.

Cobra posting a photo??
That must be the first time since 1945! :D
Check out the zoo section, Darran, there are loads of my threads in there :p

Chris these trully are all fantastic photos but I have such a soft spot for these beauties
Cheers Darran (y)

Hi Chris, why is this project a fail?
Love love love all the big cat shots, for companions I think the eyes shut one is best as they look so contented together!
That chick hatching is superb!
Elegant, the second one is beautiful.
Watery, the final triptych for me but I do prefer the more smoke in the third shot, it looks a bit stunted to me!
I hope your 52 continues along this path of failure ;)
Thanks for your kind words Marsha (y)
Epic fail, because I don't expect to finish, and also I only ever seem to take pictures of big cats and red panda's. (et al)
My flickr will testify to that :D

The smoke makes the image for me - very cool effect, really nice, so #3 would be my choice.
Wouldn't class any of them 'epic fails' as your title suggests ;)
Thanks Nathan (y) and as above for "epic fail" :D

"Picture failure and it will happen.."

I liked the first shot you put up to be honest. Shows how much I know :)

Simple, elegant and well thought out. Was disappointed to not be the first to figure out the song title, but hey ho - I'll live with it.

"Picture failure and it will happen.."
I liked the first shot you put up to be honest. Shows how much I know :)
Simple, elegant and well thought out. Was disappointed to not be the first to figure out the song title, but hey ho - I'll live with it.
Cheers Ian (y) As I've mentioned before, that there photography lark is very subjective isn't it?.

Thanks for your kind words Marsha (y)
Epic fail, because I don't expect to finish, and also I only ever seem to take pictures of big cats and red panda's. (et al)
My flickr will testify to that :D
Lol and I thought I was negative!

Yup, I checked out your Flickr, I do love a big cat, especially the stripy ones!

Lol and I thought I was negative!
Yup, I checked out your Flickr, I do love a big cat, especially the stripy ones!
LOL, not negative just a realist :D

Elegant - prefer the detail and impact of your second version Chris
Watery - an original idea, and I like all 3 as they are different but clearly all work well together
:)

Elegant - prefer the detail and impact of your second version Chris
Watery - an original idea, and I like all 3 as they are different but clearly all work well together
:)
Thanks Hazel (y)

Hi Chris

Scenic - I actually prefer the archive shot! Needs more animals though ;) Second shot has a bit too much grass and the tree and church compete a bit for attention... just my 2p!

Companions - second shot with eyes open as well for me...

Elegant... wow. Your second shot is stunning. Love the shallow DOF, great catchlight and detail in the feathers. Haven't a clue whether it's considered a good "birding shot" but I love it as an image/photo. :clap:

Watery... middle one of the triptych for me although in your edit, the right one is also a belter... great trio!

Hi Chris
Scenic - I actually prefer the archive shot! Needs more animals though ;)
Can you not see the Dolphin, bottom right? :D
Second shot has a bit too much grass and the tree and church compete a bit for attention... just my 2p!
Fair comment, as you have probably sussed, I'm crap at landscapes anyway.

Companions - second shot with eyes open as well for me...
Elegant... wow. Your second shot is stunning. Love the shallow DOF, great catchlight and detail in the feathers. Haven't a clue whether it's considered a good "birding shot" but I love it as an image/photo. :clap:
Watery... middle one of the triptych for me although in your edit, the right one is also a belter... great trio!
Thanks for your kind works Paul, I appreciate you dropping by (y)

I was stuck for insperation this week, so I went to my "temple" to meditate :D
And the animals, didn't let me down.
The Chimps were as bold as always,
in letting me know they were pleased to see me.
Its seems they sign language course is coming along well too :D

BTW the eyes in #2 are "natural" I've not messed with them at all,
nor his "equipment" :D

Monkeh

Last edited:
Great capture Cobra

Bold
Both are very good, do like the eyes on #2, he looks stoned.
LOL he does a bit doesn't he? :D
Cheers Darren (y)

Back