weekly Custard's 52 for 2017...

Edit My Images
Yes
A little late to the party but better late than never!

Week 1. Order
by G L, on Flickr

Not entirely happy with how the policeman blends into the crowd but hey I'm already two weeks behind...

I was going to suggest that a wider aperture would have separated him nicely from the background, but you were already wide open! Compositionally I quite like it as the policeman leads us into the frame but, as you say, he just blends in a bit.

Well done for getting started though, looking forward to seeing what else you come up with. (y)

At 24mm it's basically all sharp even with the lens wide open, apart from that I think it's a good idea (people forming a reasonably orderly queue, and the police is there too), but it doesn't quite work for me.

Welcome to the forum and the 52'd Gee, better late than never joining in, don't forget to put a copy of the phot on 'THIS THREAD' with a link on there over to here, otherwise few people will know you have joined in... good luck with the rest of your 52 week challenge (y)

Oh... and the pic works fine for me as a starting point, you have already stated what you don't like about it, and had some suggestions, so onto the next theme with fresh ideas :)

I think the depth of field is enough to separate the subject from the busy background - any less and you might lose the sense of place. The only real distraction for me is the red rope, but you couldn't have done much about that. I like the framing and the pattern of chairs with the changing light on them very much.

Welcome - two excellent shots to begin your TP52 journey. Great composition for Order with, as already said, the policeman leading the eye into the crowd. Comfort in two forms - spiritual and physical - I like it. The oof for bg is spot on for me .. just enough to give meaning to the environment. Well done.

Not bad at all. I probably would have moved the person a tiny bit more toward the middle of the frame, and would have chosen a slightly shallower DoF to blur out the background more. And then maybe I would have de-saturated the reds a tiny bit in post processing.

Order is well seen and captured, the orderly queue with law and order striding in, nice one.

Comfort: I love the crop, if you cropped it, because it shows the Comforter (Jesus in the icon) not too OOF and easily identifiable. The altar could have been a little more OOF, but I rather like it the way it is. The only critique I have is the red (rope and drape?) on the altar, as well as the flowers, could be desaturated a little to keep from drawing the eye to them.

I think the depth of field is enough to separate the subject from the busy background - any less and you might lose the sense of place. The only real distraction for me is the red rope, but you couldn't have done much about that. I like the framing and the pattern of chairs with the changing light on them very much.
Thanks Emma!

Welcome - two excellent shots to begin your TP52 journey. Great composition for Order with, as already said, the policeman leading the eye into the crowd. Comfort in two forms - spiritual and physical - I like it. The oof for bg is spot on for me .. just enough to give meaning to the environment. Well done.
Thanks Carl!

Welcome to the 52, I do think the Comfort shot is nice, maybe take it at a different angle plus the BG is fine but agree about the red rope :)
Thanks David! Unfortunately I didn't manage to get any side/front-on shots - the cathedral was fairly empty and I wasn't feeling brave enough!

Not bad at all. I probably would have moved the person a tiny bit more toward the middle of the frame, and would have chosen a slightly shallower DoF to blur out the background more. And then maybe I would have de-saturated the reds a tiny bit in post processing.
Thanks Bernd! I was so worried about it being too warm I totally missed the slight redness!

Welcome to the 52's ....I like your choice for Order with the policeman striding along quite purposefully. Perfect choice for Comfort, I really like the positioning of the chairs and the lone man deep in thought/prayer.
Thanks Susie!

Order is well seen and captured, the orderly queue with law and order striding in, nice one.
Thanks Chris!

Comfort: I love the crop, if you cropped it, because it shows the Comforter (Jesus in the icon) not too OOF and easily identifiable. The altar could have been a little more OOF, but I rather like it the way it is. The only critique I have is the red (rope and drape?) on the altar, as well as the flowers, could be desaturated a little to keep from drawing the eye to them.
Thanks Kara! I bumped up the clarity on portrait to make it a bit clearer and cropped out a little bit from the right where the sun was reflecting off the wall in a distracting way. I couldn't figure out how to desaturate just the rope and flowers in Lightroom...I need to get Photoshop in time for next week's theme!

Welcome to the 52 challenge.

Order; I thought the policeman actually adds interest to the shot and the theme.

Comfort; great idea for the theme and agree with your own critique of the busy background. I see you've already set to the smallest aperture the other option would be to move further away and set to the longer length of 70mm.

Hi Custard (y) A couple of very good images

Order ... that says Order but it's not a queue is it? looks like they're waiting for runners or something to come through the arch ... tells a story, copper's a bonus. (y)

Comfort ... works. The subject stands out, and I just love the wonkiness of the shiny chairs.

Hi @Custard,
Welcome to the 52 :)

Order - Seems I missed this one (until you linked it in the main thread).
The photo has come out alright. Exposure looks correct, Verticals look vertical and it's on theme.
It does lack engagement though, but this was a sod of a theme for week1 !!!

Comfort - This one is much better. I agree the red rope is a little distracting, but other than moving it, what can you do, it was there. I like it that whilst there is background blur, it's in enough focus that it's all recognisable. I think placement of the chap sitting down is about right, he's balanced by the picture of Jesus on the right.

Order - I like this it makes me wonder what they are all waiting for:)

Comfort - Very nice and a different take on the theme:)

Hi Custard,

Broken - I like that. The contrasty processing/light suits the shot well. (y)
Wood - Would work for either of the themes you've posted. I like the composition and imagery. it tells a story of abandonment.

Back