weekly d00d's 52 in 2016 ... week 52 celebration

Phew, two dozen comments so far, so a communal thank you. :)

After promising to post just a single image each week, I couldn't decide which Metal to post so did the two, they're different aren't they. It seems the bridge is favourite. And some have pointed out the dodgy sky, which I did notice but didn't think you would, so didn't bother to fix, wish I had now.

Cheers (y)

Last edited:
Week 2 - Captive

EvwwEzKf5udwmigeMD4mbKSSCyMu0ZwVRgPmBhXjjceI1wX6X0b0KFakyPxywaU71pGvk4G86ccZ-QQ2W1SJ7HLGDudTyr-tLO6BVe-8aadf1mTvDkpu5TeLZDFvMrtLBdu52ImZk_cpoRgA_QD-ejB3sxmaE2xbF40VUZh0TqrG2myDKCkPS4VAqOmW3lX6sZZKCOcibyrLdItF2vKIbaTSzL4a3lWuvbOAUCKdU3eBduj8jD6biRurcngcQjiTk0rdx9LhWBGe6sKssY5cQMYlL8DCYT2QPn1teUeY9rtOiTk1_78V-m0ryCR6w1ENET_vlN8rZIBcOoTCPZbMleumGFZmBummyVg48u3-GKvJe56gXfFOX7R0qeLJgTkwAGmr3S6yK9yDoj5mb2WmjW1wA3IhDN_axjynauHXYho2LDutxcK5O5B3X-fUXApFJDxbH4fr9C_8sWooPLZkeLjQR_wzTjf8uYIHesxUWzk5P3xsLCEuAjRR1sjiQMrTtgyww_kL0uUdbXi8ZD_VZrBkFHZgBhmGq1sLeEyrjYLvNVuZFqZ7Mfgq7PQ25niVjhUC=w1533-h870-no

Like it, that's a very clever and original idea for the theme.

Nicely set up and taken. only critique would be that the metal catch on the left which sticks out above the trap seems to be slightly out of focus when the rest of the trap seems sharp.

That picture is brilliant, really great idea and nice shot - love the soft colours :)

Excellent idea, and good composition. I'm not sure about the colour of surface, maybe a bright white or black, but that's just personal preference.

Clever idea David, nicely set-up and taken. Wish I could be as inventive - really struggling this week. Hats off to you.

LOL great idea David (y)

Just a minor point when they go off the locking pin usually drops, you were either bloody quick on the shutter button or that one sticks :D

Hi d00d, excellent idea though it does look a little off colour to me

Really good picture! Not only is it really imaginative for the theme it also has a really nice sharp focus!

Oscar

Great idea for the theme! I don't know whether to smile at the cuteness of it or to feel sorry for the mouse!

Like it, that's a very clever and original idea for the theme.

Nicely set up and taken. only critique would be that the metal catch on the left which sticks out above the trap seems to be slightly out of focus when the rest of the trap seems sharp.
LOL great idea David (y)

Just a minor point when they go off the locking pin usually drops, you were either bloody quick on the shutter button or that one sticks :D
Thanks guys, does that "pin" look like it's suspended in mid air? It's actually lying over the far side. If that makes sense.

That picture is brilliant, really great idea and nice shot - love the soft colours :)
Excellent idea, and good composition. I'm not sure about the colour of surface, maybe a bright white or black, but that's just personal preference.
Clever idea David, nicely set-up and taken. Wish I could be as inventive - really struggling this week. Hats off to you.
He......he.....great idea like the way the cable seems like a tail, well done :)
Very imaginative great idea nice clean shot (y)
Hi d00d, excellent idea though it does look a little off colour to me
Really good picture! Not only is it really imaginative for the theme it also has a really nice sharp focus!

Oscar
Nice soft lighting there David, lit from off camera flash, or some soft light modifier?
I haven't seen a mouse like that for ages, microshaft branding too!
(y)

Very different from most of 'captive' photos; well done
Chuckle :)

WB is off, but minor point in an unusual interpretation.

Good show.

Cheers.
Hi d00d .... yeeeees I love this one ....well done for thinking of that idea, really effective soft colouring too ....a super shot :)
This gave me a chuckle :) Very nicely done :clap:

Great idea for the theme! I don't know whether to smile at the cuteness of it or to feel sorry for the mouse!

Cheers guys (y) Yes the WB/colour/lighting ... I tried shooting this in all sorts of different positions, starting down by the skirting board, with different EVC & flash settings and finally with no flash at all, on white BG. I then played in PP with curves and stuff ... but the result is a bit marmite colour-wise. Thanks for your input, I've got a lot to learn re flash, I haven't yet sussed how to use my new speedlight off camera.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, does that "pin" look like it's suspended in mid air? It's actually lying over the far side. If that makes sense.
I can see that it is now, but yes it did look as though it was erect.

Nice creative take on the theme, well done, it brings all kinds of possibilities to mind but I think the simple, clean approach you have taken gets the message across very well.

Captive - GREAT idea, love it! I think you could tweak the levels a bit to improve the WB / colours.
Here's a quick edit (hope you don't mind!) keeping the colours, but improving the exposure based on the histogram...
V0ELUor.png

Moving that right slider to the left results in...
WvaNFl2.jpg

Alternatively, you could use the WB dropper to bring the bg to a true white - like below...
BPMdKjQ.png

Great idea, keep it up! (y)

very imaginative choice for the theme made me smile

Here's a quick edit (hope you don't mind!)
... not at all. I appreciate the help. (y)

With a shot like this I do my best to get the WB option right on my camera, but then loose the whiteness by introducing colour in Curves.

I didn't know till now that WB in PP meant adjusting Levels. In fact, I've never used the Levels tool before!

I don't use Photoshop but Paint.Net and my Levels tool looks like THIS ... I assume it does the same job. Off to read up on it. :woot:

Last edited:
Quality idea for the theme,
Lol.... you've really bought your on- form game this week. Really like the novelty factor and out the box thinking. No crit other than WB already mentioned & glad you've kept it in colour
Very clever idea! The cord as a tail works so well - I like the way it's angled sharp at the end.
Nice creative take on the theme, well done, it brings all kinds of possibilities to mind but I think the simple, clean approach you have taken gets the message across very well.
Thanks for making me LOL David. Mouse, trap, job's a good 'un :D
Great quirky image. Works well
Captive or set free ?
Great interpretation and capture :)
very imaginative choice for the theme made me smile

Thanks all (y)

... was dreaming of getting up to the British Museum this week to get a tilt-shift miniature from upstairs of people milling around in the grand hall ... but unable to make it and I don't want to fall behind so you're gonna have to make do with this:

Week 3 - Miniature
XOSIw6vJzGf8TFQsg8mf-sccVw1uEQ9NAoyLzQrB-Aus-rp1xuo9xnra10zoZC4vLyMihk5yDmC2phcEyjbgHO1SADTDS6sUY76-jPqUG5PME6pCk8I6aB0gBfrhgvFCT5A_yfaFRCGE3Av9FyhhqBF36_y3HJtqPm0GMzv_33bf1b9SSWjm9dIF8yEHJt9E1FG2xQSySGhi10unL6LkV_i1YMHDPVHjeRIRtpV0TDG77a5D3kwraU4iovmHEuu20WFdeiWgkvUZnal4OjkzbJJ0RHyoMRRFP-cVDg99uUgNhEC0VEyHPXh-P_VdlFoF_VUPciNFTbRkWRCq76wnrXsbLv7vdcXXHEzzZqF1P494HgmTbbSoNu4j1RyTVAL8I3xVg31wnH92g-oRXZ77vSmGzNL5wszqzE6Hpjz1I1rVAgKPLwgH_2F_aYlVb2Df__94LEyg6Ai-aCkw94jJyBfYBX3nTykpciQPz0qMSRIfzSPt1Yh7BdO2DzVtK7x-WE86_uTRzMd2EUTaVCfAineet4MFziXWlTYuFlpkwm__Y5YxQfYCZJJjpMKKo5YuEqi9=w986-h870-no

Last edited:
Thought you were flirting with selective colouring there David! But I can see colour in the other objects too (just).
Great vibrant colours and I like the cropped composition. There is enough going on in the shot to make it interesting, without being distracting.
(y)

Hi d00d, well definitely on theme blue stands out well though not sure of the placement, what do I know though

Fits in well David, nicely taken too (y)

Shame you didn't get to do the tilt shift but nothing wrong with this.

Like the bright miniature book and the fact that it is a mini version of the book it's sitting on

Thought you were flirting with selective colouring there David! But I can see colour in the other objects too (just).
Great vibrant colours and I like the cropped composition. There is enough going on in the shot to make it interesting, without being distracting.
(y)
thanks Tim ... SC has its place, and so does Picasa's Focal B&W

Hi d00d, well definitely on theme blue stands out well though not sure of the placement, what do I know though
you know you're not sure ... see chapter 94. ;)

Fits in well David, nicely taken too (y)
(y)

Shame you didn't get to do the tilt shift but nothing wrong with this.

Like the bright miniature book and the fact that it is a mini version of the book it's sitting on
tilt shift .. another day :)

Miniature: very understated and clever composition. With the combination of the eye naturally viewing left to right and dark to light, the eye lands nicely on the miniature book. Good stuff David

Back