weekly d00d's 52 in 2018 ~ week 25 Bright

Match - works perfectly for me nice and simple and bang on theme

Music 2 great images for the theme I prefer the second one for some reason I think it's because you can see the level of concentration on the drummers faces

Hard - Brilliant nicely set up and lit

Match - works perfectly for me nice and simple and bang on theme

Music 2 great images for the theme I prefer the second one for some reason I think it's because you can see the level of concentration on the drummers faces

Hard - Brilliant nicely set up and lit

Thanks for the feedback Mark. (y)

Not sure if that photo works for me, but right on theme :)

Week 22 ~ Creatures ...
l3H4wQsPVXKaGnsc-o7VdoZ7o08fQNIYjGUe816a1oruPKrmUvSDczOXXpsuDWGnFoFzuBvv-1SOpKF_oLChJ6FSlN75p9HvTgl99nd28wxMnG60Skz64yAEsSDt37LiDh6xAJlpa3yYR0iyh8CvOuVi2HIPOJcZTl3p7GotbAqY7xLzJiKm1eP3-ukhLOzDxDi8VP6dHFVMAkdNA-dz9MPL770vcfJl1NfiRLgoQAz8B13twrZkfNvtR9HBM3IDmHYH_LvMUwrgnsj5SlSNqIiGTR7xoMzwZzXMulaRehD2NM_DFLhcc6vflemEGV1Pd79SKkJnRpSvE7Rae_KU0qLr-9rQial4H1ROkvir8LguNHcFd6E-c_xc80PLtcxRIqpKT_OSGH7FS79SxK5mjGAoGpHX064UCzdPenKKfSTJWlV6oh0a-vpxuuckM1VuUrFENVl-CzIThHW5BfxF9UO7ptXF7Miid4C8jo3-lAciu6XLmI2ZyToIvIV5RUzK2EGROBncUHjFH-woi7dSyNGgS-m5LlCVi5FSBDDOGRybHUqdTM70Sn-Z3MfyH52WRkRMZLlmNfciUauffQnoNkKJVagdNQn8oo3Sg3c=w1640-h885-no

Interesting take David I think the silver guy fits more than than the other guy,
I would like to see what the silver guy was doing as I don’t think his act was having a fag or maybe it was

Always good to see something different (y)

Interesting take David I think the silver guy fits more than than the other guy,
I would like to see what the silver guy was doing as I don’t think his act was having a fag or maybe it was

Always good to see something different (y)
Liking the silver living statue guy, well spotted and different but on theme.
Thanks guys.

Took me a long time to do this week's theme. I decided upon Street ... HERE are some from the w/e ... but then it seemed unfair to call these lovely people "Creatures", so ended up shooting these performers ... with a longer lens.

Yes the silver man is a statue of sorts, HERE he is when at work with hard hat & shades. :)

Last edited:
Saw this on the way home today ...

Synthetic? well they don't look right somehow, and would probably do for the past-the-use-by-date theme.

Week 23 ~ Synthetic

4TKqTUAmNKt273tVIOlQuiAz2A2KPLTtEEmlaHsW0pm_86vbRIjKZhLseL_PJAmOGPX-xqf5ZCJpPyVqmEn2Z7t3JYpO0c7fv4rz96Lo0hgODAqkJc37x4tfxV7AJVyiZlrVaeZlKeimZ-Id5DvAeAoT7RA4H3trBA_OmaFsei_M2Bx_qMmB0k-NycY8LOFEkUZhHCSmdQcGQKM3LOqde6iUa-1p-yBaB8-75ZpB3xQ7nFurGrYFHBIA68IOCzrLEzpbWHwa6_1ef9R6ZHmoKXEmiCFfI_WGigDM47R_DlWNOP5JVvjpkayN_UnutlUs7b78KvKBTQWOsX04cON0mF2NEdCvMImB2MVYufNbIMZcE-x_j6-EeRWXjwR9QJMUKcxIk13cNRLW8NKz4DtVxPiUB_DMM9Gl5BGNi4NUpPxXkaIiDyutX0eE6VnaHyWNvW4negu74ofIvPAhew6O6kVyVEjs9AMPtGALzXfKndZczVMiwvew5bAmlpZbf5ieVprt7VjNnaDumMdtp-UL2Ru0GPkQoA7wZ9dIu8WJjZIzfO_SF7cHg8Wej7dZanZiRW3txpvlbnFL9yk5toXxY6S3rFABTZc2TTKJlmY=w1328-h885-no

Creatures, I like the way you have put the two photos together with the guy on the left apparently reaching towards the silver guy.

Synthetic, well seen and certainly look synthetic, the bright shirt in the background is a bit distracting and I might have just cropped that out.

Creatures, I like the way you have put the two photos together with the guy on the left apparently reaching towards the silver guy.

Synthetic, well seen and certainly look synthetic, the bright shirt in the background is a bit distracting and I might have just cropped that out.
Hi David, a good moment in time captured for the 1st person, it makes me wonder what was to happen next. I think I prefer the silver guy, I like his pose and the look in his eyes. Have you a tried a b+w conversion?

Synthetic, nice colours, I would consider a letter box crop on this one.
Thanks guys

Re Creatures ... I only put two images because creatures is plural and I couldn't get two weirdo characters in one pic.

Re Synthetic ... I was so chuffed to get OOF BG people and you want to crop them out! This is Street.:D

Last edited:
Synthetic -- I agree with you, the OoF background works well.

Creatures -- I do like those two shots especially the silver guy in his 'off-duty' pose, fag an all.

Hi David,

Creatures - I too am loving the shot of the silver statue 'aving a fag', so wrong, yet so right.
Clever to use the image of the chap on the right as a leading line onto him.

Synthetic - Loving the colours - great find. The woman in the background's light coloured blouse is a tad distracting, I like the idea of a letterbox crop to take that out of the equation. (But what can I say, most of my cosplay images have stuff in the background too).

very oddly coloured flowers, definitely not natural, not sure that cropping it would improve it in any way to be fair I'm just wondering how they did that

Synthetic -- I agree with you, the OoF background works well.

Creatures -- I do like those two shots especially the silver guy in his 'off-duty' pose, fag an all.
(y)
Synthetic, the flowers do look synthetic with nice mix of colours, plus the oof BG really does enhance the flowers.
Thanks Dave for the nice critique (y)
Hi David,

Creatures - I too am loving the shot of the silver statue 'aving a fag', so wrong, yet so right.
Clever to use the image of the chap on the right as a leading line onto him.

Synthetic - Loving the colours - great find. The woman in the background's light coloured blouse is a tad distracting, I like the idea of a letterbox crop to take that out of the equation. (But what can I say, most of my cosplay images have stuff in the background too).
Cheers Tim
Re creatures ... I did some clever shoppery showing the mans hand coming into the the RH image but then though it a bit OTT to post on here.:)

Last edited:
very oddly coloured flowers, definitely not natural, not sure that cropping it would improve it in any way to be fair I'm just wondering how they did that
thanks Allan ... The florist just said "they dye the petals individually", but I googled it and allegedly they split the end of the stem and feed different sections different coloured water. o_O

Last edited:
Hi Dood
Creatures - not sure its on theme, but the duo dont work for me.I really like the silver bloke smoking, but dont get the other guy
Synthetic - on theme for sure,and a good spot, but I think Id have bought them home and done something a bit better, this is almost a phone shot....

(sorry)

Hi David, Here I go again catching up :(

Match - Really like this. Nice and simple but makes me wonder what they are set up to watch or is it just to enjoy the sun
Music - I think I prefer the first one. The lady at the front of the second shot looks terrified for some reason!
Hard - I like how the line splits the shot in half and is half way through the nails. I find this most pleasing
Creatures - Great portraits and I like the silver man with the fag but not really getting the creatures part
Synthetic - Definitely a synthetic colour. I think one of my boys did something similar in school but just with one colour. I think they used food colouring. Not sure how they can produce so many if they have to split each stem and how do they get each petal a different colour :confused: Maybe have to do some research and have a go :D

Hi Dood
Creatures - not sure its on theme, but the duo dont work for me.I really like the silver bloke smoking, but dont get the other guy

My main reason for making it a duo with because the theme was Creatures

Synthetic - on theme for sure,and a good spot, but I think Id have bought them home and done something a bit better, this is almost a phone shot....
The best images come from phones nowadays, so I'll take that as a compliment. Seriously, are you saying you'd prefer a Synthetic BG to OOF street people?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Hi David, Here I go again catching up :(

Match - Really like this. Nice and simple but makes me wonder what they are set up to watch or is it just to enjoy the sun
Music - I think I prefer the first one. The lady at the front of the second shot looks terrified for some reason!
Hard - I like how the line splits the shot in half and is half way through the nails. I find this most pleasing
Creatures - Great portraits and I like the silver man with the fag but not really getting the creatures part
Synthetic - Definitely a synthetic colour. I think one of my boys did something similar in school but just with one colour. I think they used food colouring. Not sure how they can produce so many if they have to split each stem and how do they get each petal a different colour :confused: Maybe have to do some research and have a go :D
Thanks Missy(y)
Good luck with the Synthetic research, and I'm pleased you like the nails ... I've been thinking of doing a reshoot of that.

Hi David,

A catch-up from me as I lost my mojo for a couple of weeks bit and am just getting up to date again. I really do like the deckchair idea for 'Match'. You've made great use of the light through the material to bring out the colours and stripes, and the green grass surrounding them is complementary. Like this a lot :clap:
Both images for Music are full of energy and colour, and while #1 sets the scene, my favourite is #2 because the change of perspective brings me in and makes me feel part of the action.
Hard - as you say, it's not exciting but it is well lit and composed and meets the theme perfectly.
Creatures - two interesting candids that seem to dovetail well. I like the way the first man appears to reaching towards the second, and of course the silver paint on the second one makes an interesting image in its own right.
Synthetic - well spotted and the unusually coloured flowers stand out well from the background. I'm in the camp that might try a crop or burn of the light shirt in the centre, but I do like the way the OOF background makes the flowers really pop so it would be shame to lose too much of it (y)

David

Creatures, an interesting take on the theme, we seem to forget that we are also creatures, so on theme.
Why you choose those two images to make it Creatures, I don't see why, unless they are performing artists.

Synthectic, They look dyed to me, so possibly not synthectic, but I get the idea.

Pete

David

Creatures, an interesting take on the theme, we seem to forget that we are also creatures, so on theme.
Why you choose those two images to make it Creatures, I don't see why, unless they are performing artists.

Synthectic, They look dyed to me, so possibly not synthectic, but I get the idea.

Pete
Thanks Pete

I wanted to get a decent shot of street performing creatures (plural) but ended up with two shots with a creature (singular) in each. ;)

The flowers are real but the colours are synthetic. We have some artificial flowers at home but these hideous half dead roses made a more interesting submission. :)

Last edited:
Week 24 Rural Retreat

... in the middle of London .... Queen Caroline's Temple.

3rC3KqFLPoxJSen-GF-1c2Ga-qx9tG4qDrynuLIakpdXrbmpCrrR0PH1B9yhjXpEeQC89mI_rfqTyAUq0U-WXAOBgOriVQ79_FoZ8nQxJs1PiJKOCKWuvotP-vRoeQA3fPulsPx30naY_wWXjY9xwzZOsEzTRV8iAFR6FPNOMfbRickDuH75qyZdr-2j7N3DF8DwPaXPOQKT022YZuXXYshBCCGdWifqB11oUWiLPTYm6qktthCSe3lYMHKKcYc2SPnFTYgSoVxpEB52LYbZc2tGsvzmXbZYoYbe2pJl8W0NpcC40Few78gXVDjMS0uZYhsvCFZtOM8SGZqhQukjLjmJITFxM4gHTxA8SsGrTZOtMNdgBoR2uweO8sJksdjCqCCjqiKwa0LyDO4TntrMJQ2zEHsRy_zMKfF1U6phcwmK8zJ5b0NTXBNMwqLmpKC6l-4pEwo9TD7J7D8xK2jMTERBd4cvwPQYwL4pDyZsD1MhyBFTkt6TFYuO2DyuYFzTMKHVHtvC_k63utrbo6pkV3s6eyuvGoJIN6k79yAPWEDY1dWE3DKUnMeKRs89S3eVfUF-X4iqdZxFzyRnIBqNSC3kz-Xhpi9n36Or3VY=w1761-h1080-no

Last edited:
Great low viewpoint to include the grasses and an interesting building well done for finding something rural

Love the retreat - the muted colour works well.

Well composed with lovely grass in the foreground and detailed throughout, I might have punched up the colours a bit thought.

I was thinking Rural London too, but changed my mind over the weekend.
A low shot, similar to Allan's, but I think it's missing the range of colours that Allan had. Too much unbroken green. Sorry :/

Best picture I've seen for rural so far, everything just spot on for me.

Great low viewpoint to include the grasses and an interesting building well done for finding something rural
Thanks Allan ... the building definitely looks more out-in-the-sticks when viewed through the long grass.

Love the retreat - the muted colour works well.
Thanks Dave ... I thought tweaking the colour to make the grass less alive and the retreat more neglected-looking added a bit of drama. :)

I was thinking Rural London too, but changed my mind over the weekend.
A low shot, similar to Allan's, but I think it's missing the range of colours that Allan had. Too much unbroken green. Sorry :/
You never get a poppy when you want one :) .... anyway, you're supposed to be looking at the rural retreat, that's where my focus point is. f/36 did quite a nice job ....

Best picture I've seen for rural so far, everything just spot on for me.
Thank you Martin :) I was a bit worried some might find the processing a little OTT.

Well composed with lovely grass in the foreground and detailed throughout, I might have punched up the colours a bit thought.
Thanks Chris (missed you in the above comments) ... The jpeg SOOC was more colourful but in pp I decided to go the other way, thought it somehow added atmosphere to the whole thing, plus it brought out the dandelions nicely. :)

Last edited:
Hi David

Rural, I like the image and the processing gives it an old type quality, which I don't mind.

Pete

Back