weekly DK's 52 of 2015 - wk 52 'Christmas' added - FINISHED

Hi Dean,

Experiment is a scary image, what on earth goes on in your head to think this through, very impacting, great light and processing.

Heat, nice close up, detail is good and framing. nice job

Experiment - very gritty and dark. The subject makes me cringe, but the image is a good 'un!

Heat - a great composition. The flames are just right for me and I like the fact that you've let it burn for a while to get the charring and ash on the wood :clap:

Heat certainly conveys that impression and I love the detail in the crocodile markings of the charred end, and you've captured the colours in the flames really well.

Another vote for without the blowtorch though.

Hi, Dean, on theme and nice oranges.

Though I actually prefer the detail on the upper section of the burnt wood :geek:

Chests.
Cheers Andy :)

I know what you mean, I like the white hot bits, nearly cropped to them but decided to go with the flames :)

A nice sharp image. Both the orange and blue flames were nicely captured. Personally I would incline to exclude the torch.
Thanks Stan :)

I did think of cloning out the blowtorch, but thought that may not make the image work with no heat source :)

Nice. Is that a blow torch? Think I'd prefer that out of the picture, if poss. Good colour & DOF.
Cheers David - Yep... and Hmmmm now thinking I should have removed it :)

I can almost hear it crackling :)
Cheers Ruth, that is such a nice sound too :)

:plus1: captures the topic perfectly DK.
Thanks Susie :)

EXPERIMENT - I like this one. Did you try different angles? Maybe facing the camera? Or perhaps BW?
Thanks Bob :)

No in fact I didn't try different angles, I had an image in my mind and kept trying to get it at that angle - Playing with a B&W for it does sound tempting :)

Experiment: Not sure what I could add to the other comments. A most disturbing shot, one I could have expected from @Phil Bennett !
Haaaa thanks Tim :)

Experiment: Another :plus1: for the B&W option, but I am biased that way.

Heat: Nice detail in the burnt wood and the smoke coming off the top adds to the impression of heat.
Thank you Martin :)

Hi Dean,

Experiment is a scary image, what on earth goes on in your head to think this through, very impacting, great light and processing.
Cheers Nathan :)

Well... not sure what brought it to mind, it popped in my head and away I went :D

Heat, nice close up, detail is good and framing. nice job
Thanks again :)

Hi Dean - Heat, it works for me, it's a nice take on the theme and I like the composition :)
Thank you Lorraine :)

Experiment - very gritty and dark. The subject makes me cringe, but the image is a good 'un!
Thanks Elaine... Mrs DK hates it, she really is not keen on it at all :)

Heat - a great composition. The flames are just right for me and I like the fact that you've let it burn for a while to get the charring and ash on the wood :clap:
Thank you again Elaine :)

Heat certainly conveys that impression and I love the detail in the crocodile markings of the charred end, and you've captured the colours in the flames really well.

Another vote for without the blowtorch though.
Ahhhh thanks Jill... point well and truly taken in on the blowtorch :)

Right... now this is a bit of a wish from me, I'm now hoping this is my last double image post week until I get a buyer for my house and move...

So here is my image for last week, nothing special, just trying to get some interest from a simple idea, adding leading lines from the background and playing with exposure compensation today to bring the detail out in the 'figures' and also experimenting with distance to get just enough DoF to get it fully focused too, I wasn't too successful though on that part :)

Wk 18 - Figures

Wk 18 - Figures by TP DK, on Flickr

and now onto this weeks, no explanation required other than... didn't have the time I was hoping for so this is a possible placeholder IF I can come up with something a bit more interesting later in the week :)

Wk 19 - 'Household' bills...

Wk 19 - Household by TP DK, on Flickr

Figures: Your DoF is pretty much there with a slight bit of the figure's foot not quite there; I think the decking works.

Household: Now that IS accurate DoF, I like it as an interpretation of the theme.

Two good images DK! I can't see much wrong with the dof in the first one and really like the contrast between the cool colour of the stone and the warm surface. :clap: Good idea to add in the pen on the second shot to give a diagonal into the corner, maybe a slightly lower pov to give a more acute angle to the rack or would that mess up the water bill?

Hi DK

Figures- lovely shot and well on theme. The colour of the decking really compliments the figures - good choice! And you have shown the detail in the figures - nicely done (n)

Household - great idea for the theme, and I like the composition :)

Your figurine is lovely .... out on the decking what a brilliant idea.

Household Bills ... great idea ... and what a narrow DoF !! A lovely way of dealing with dull but Oh-so-essential things like kitchen tiles.

Alphabet - That’s a good spot for the theme although I’m wondering why you’ve chosen bracelets that say nerd and geek on them LOL. I like the crop that suits the subject. At first I thought this would be better rotated by 90 degrees but actually I’m not sure about that and like it as it is

Sound - This has quite a classy feel to it with some nice rich blacks. I also like how the circles receded as you eye is drawn left to right. Nice one

Experiment - A well suited image for the theme. You mentioned going for a gritty look and I think you could have gone even further if you’d have wanted to. Maybe even a mono conversion. That said it works well as it stands.

Heat - The focus seems a little off on the non-burned end of the stick but the use of the diagonal is a good idea. The top end of the tick has more interest but having the flames is a good for the link to the theme

Figures - Now I do like this. The choice of surface and the angle you’ve shot this at are spot on. The shallow DoF is also sublime especially as the main subject is super sharp. The best of this catch up bunch by a long way in my book.

Household - Almost similar angle and DoF as the Figures image. Whilst it works nicely and is a good shot, I feel you spoilt us with the last one and therefore this isn’t quite as strong. Good luck with the house move by the way.

Figures, like them a lot. Well composed, liking the diagonals (you got them on the brain :)) and textures. The colours are nice but I bet it would make a decent B&W.

Household, ticks the boxes, shallow dof but, not ya best mister.

Cheers and gimme the figures :whistle:

figures - love this one, especially the way the BG fades away :)
household - another good idea, maybe it's just me but the LHS DoF seems a bit too much - well it makes my eyes go funny anyway lol :)

Figures: Your DoF is pretty much there with a slight bit of the figure's foot not quite there; I think the decking works.
Thanks Martin, yeah nearly there but not quite :)

Household: Now that IS accurate DoF, I like it as an interpretation of the theme.
Cheers :)

Two good images DK! I can't see much wrong with the dof in the first one and really like the contrast between the cool colour of the stone and the warm surface. :clap:
Thanks Elaine... glad your eyesight didn't see much out :D

Good idea to add in the pen on the second shot to give a diagonal into the corner, maybe a slightly lower pov to give a more acute angle to the rack or would that mess up the water bill?

I did try a lower PoV but the upvc window, sill and outside started to creep in too much for me :)

Hi DK

Figures- lovely shot and well on theme. The colour of the decking really compliments the figures - good choice! And you have shown the detail in the figures - nicely done (n)
Cheers Lorraine :)

Household - great idea for the theme, and I like the composition :)
Thank you again :)

Your figurine is lovely .... out on the decking what a brilliant idea.
Thanks David :)

I think decking is a nice simple background, not a natural setting for sure, but feel it is neutral enough to work with lots of things :)

Household Bills ... great idea ... and what a narrow DoF !! A lovely way of dealing with dull but Oh-so-essential things like kitchen tiles.
Thanks again... and yeah throwing them out of focus does help :)

Alphabet - That’s a good spot for the theme although I’m wondering why you’ve chosen bracelets that say nerd and geek on them LOL. I like the crop that suits the subject. At first I thought this would be better rotated by 90 degrees but actually I’m not sure about that and like it as it is
Cheers Peter :)

Well a surprise to me but in the 'seaside tat' front there really was little choice, I was hoping to have a few options but most stands were christian name type tat :D

Sound - This has quite a classy feel to it with some nice rich blacks. I also like how the circles receded as you eye is drawn left to right. Nice one
Thanks again Peter :)

Experiment - A well suited image for the theme. You mentioned going for a gritty look and I think you could have gone even further if you’d have wanted to. Maybe even a mono conversion. That said it works well as it stands.
Thanks :) - Yeah I really musty try a B&W... note added to the sheet :)

Heat - The focus seems a little off on the non-burned end of the stick but the use of the diagonal is a good idea. The top end of the tick has more interest but having the flames is a good for the link to the theme
Oooo hadn't noticed that - Thanks anyway :)

Figures - Now I do like this. The choice of surface and the angle you’ve shot this at are spot on. The shallow DoF is also sublime especially as the main subject is super sharp. The best of this catch up bunch by a long way in my book.
Cool - thanks a lot Peter :cool:

Household - Almost similar angle and DoF as the Figures image. Whilst it works nicely and is a good shot, I feel you spoilt us with the last one and therefore this isn’t quite as strong. Good luck with the house move by the way.
Very valid point mate... and thanks on the kind wishes :)

Figures, like them a lot. Well composed, liking the diagonals (you got them on the brain :)) and textures. The colours are nice but I bet it would make a decent B&W.
Cheers buddy... and yeah another diagonal... getting as regular as my horizontal strips :D

Household, ticks the boxes, shallow dof but, not ya best mister.
Oi... how dare you say the truth :LOL:

Cheers and gimme the figures :whistle:
Don't think Mrs DK would be happy :)

figures - love this one, especially the way the BG fades away :)
Thanks Summer :)
household - another good idea, maybe it's just me but the LHS DoF seems a bit too much - well it makes my eyes go funny anyway lol :)
Thanks again... thinking it's just your squiffy eyes though :whistle:

Right... and so onto this weeks shots :)

First off, not having thought much about my ideas again before I set off, I just fancied going down to the broads again and seeing what I could come up with on a walk, my idea soon came to me once I had travelled the 5 minuets, parked up and headed down one of the river banks, I eventually found the right spot, sat down for a bit and waited for an appropriate vessel.

This time I remembered my filters (forgot them last time I went down to the river) but, having tried a couple of lenses, I settled on my 70-200, and guess what, I had my 82wa adapter but not the 77wa I needed for this lens :bang:

Back to the shot, I wanted to concentrate the focus on the limit sign, in the finishing shot I'm not so sure whether it is too bright or too prominent, theme wise I guess in needs be but picture wise not so sure :thinking:

Wk 20 - Limit by TP DK, on Flickr

And onto to my re-shoots... having quite a few marked down as needing another 'go' at I decided today to do a couple while I was out, firstly I decided to capture some nature.

So here we have - Week 20 Re-Shoot... p, q, r, s, t, 'Ewe - Alphabet' :exit:

Week 20 - Re-Shoot - Alphabet by TP DK, on Flickr

And here is my other shot... love seeing old machines in unusual settings, I really like the rusty metal and layers of paint on this crane, I have PP'd it a lot to emphasise this, hopefully not too much :)

Week 20 - Re-Shoot 'Machine'

As ALWAYS... best appreciated in Large on Flickr :)

Wk 20 - Re-Shoot - Machine by TP DK, on Flickr

Thanks for popping by :)

Limit; I like it and I think you got both theme and picture spot on. Nice, clear and sharp image if anything may be the speed limit sign just a tad too far left to my liking.

Alphabet Reshoot;

Machine Reshoot; Love this too I like the old machine just being abandoned in the field and left to rust. The colour and the slight yellow hue of the image I like. :clap:

Limit ... all very sharp and good wide angle to comfortably include the two boats and the sign clearly.

Alphabet Reshoot ... hahahaha .. actually a nice U shot.

Machine reshoot ... what a find: rusty old machine like that in such a setting. Beautiful, only neg crit: a bit tight in the frame maybe.

DK your shots are really fab! Love the figures one - so simple yet fits the brief so well. Look forward to seeing yours every week. :)

'Ello, my first thought was that you'd photoshopped the sigh in :eek: But I know you are not that kind of a photographer unlike me :) Lovely detail and I love the colours.

Alphabet outside now:)

Machine and other great submission I'm not too keen on the angle/perspective but you've got some great detail in the machine it would be great for a night painting meeting :D

Cheers.

Hi DK, three nice shots there love the boats though it took me a while to spot the sign

"alphabet" well I liked it :whistle:

interesting "machine" too a bit oversaturated for me and needs to be a little more gritty processing wise in keeping with the condition of it

Limit; I like it and I think you got both theme and picture spot on. Nice, clear and sharp image if anything may be the speed limit sign just a tad too far left to my liking.
Thanks Stan :)

Yeah I think it could be in a bit more, but I was pretty wide so got it at the sensor's furthest left focus point, so stuck there :)

Alphabet Reshoot;
:D

Machine Reshoot; Love this too I like the old machine just being abandoned in the field and left to rust. The colour and the slight yellow hue of the image I like. :clap:
Thanks again Stan :)

Limit ... all very sharp and good wide angle to comfortably include the two boats and the sign clearly.
Thanks David :)

Alphabet Reshoot ... hahahaha .. actually a nice U shot.
Cheeers Ba :D

Machine reshoot ... what a find: rusty old machine like that in such a setting. Beautiful, only neg crit: a bit tight in the frame maybe.
Thanks again :)

Well... as it happens this was one of my closer framed shots with a little crop, I did have others that were much wider, but for me it lost the detail and deterioration of the main subject so went in as tight as I dare... guess just a tad too much ?? :)

DK your shots are really fab! Love the figures one - so simple yet fits the brief so well. Look forward to seeing yours every week. :)
Thanks a lot Mich :)

'Ello, my first thought was that you'd photoshopped the sigh in :eek:
Ooooooh no mate, although the thought did cross my mind briefly when they were both coming towards me, but that soon drifted away as the background was pants too from that direction :)
But I know you are not that kind of a photographer unlike me :).
You wouldn't would you :O
Lovely detail and I love the colours
Cheers :)

Alphabet outside now:)
Now then... pistols at dawn :bat:

Machine and other great submission I'm not too keen on the angle/perspective but you've got some great detail in the machine it would be great for a night painting meeting :D

Cheers.
Cheers again Andy :)

Yeah would be great for light painting, loads of nettles and water to get to it though... was limited with the angle due to the obstacles in the way, tried 4 different viewpoints, this was the clearest without a tree, or bottle bank in the way :D

Hi DK, three nice shots there love the boats though it took me a while to spot the sign
Cheers mate :)

"alphabet" well I liked it :whistle:
YAY !!! thanks :D

interesting "machine" too a bit oversaturated for me and needs to be a little more gritty processing wise in keeping with the condition of it
Ahhhh damn good point on the grittiness, that didn't even enter my mind :)

Experiment is an interesting take on the theme. Pose/composition works well, & the indent on the skin gives it a feeling of authenticity.

The flame colours in heat are nice, but I think I'd like to see a tiny bit more DOF, to take in the whole of the log, as the detail at the end is really nice.

Figures is a lovely sculpture. Well shot, with nice use if DOF.

The DOF in household doesn't do it for me for me, I think it's the fade in, rather than fade out approach (if that makes sense to anyone but me) that I don't get on with here. Nothing wrong with the shot, just a personal preference I guess.

The detail in your machine shoot when viewed large really brings the picture to life. I like the way the dried stalks almost seem to blend into a solid mass across the middle of the frame too.

Right and onto this weeks image... had quite a few idea's, none seemed to work how I expected, <note to self> I must learn Photoshop </Note>, as I am going with this one, I know it's a bit of a cop out which is minimal cloning in LR CC

Wk 21 - Bizarre

Wk 21 - Bizarre by TP DK, on Flickr

Oh, that is so creepy. It would only be more creepy if it were upside down.

Last edited:
Hi DK, how much do I hate you, had a similar idea with a displaced eye somewhere you wouldn't expect to see one but abandoned it after spending a couple of hours on it when I saw this
so very well done and pretty scary :clap:

Hi DK - yep, that's bizarre alright. And now I'm glad I didn't try to do something like this - I'd never have pulled it off as well as you have. Love the idea, even if I can't look at it for very long (y)

very well done, certainly can't see the join - but tis very creepy :eek: :eek:

Oh, that is so creepy. It would only be more creepy if it were upside down.
Thanks Martin, the thought had crossed my mind :D

Haaaaa :D

How bizarre! Creepy but great picture :)
Thank you Donna :)

Hi DK, how much do I hate you
I like to please :D

, had a similar idea with a displaced eye somewhere you wouldn't expect to see one but abandoned it after spending a couple of hours on it when I saw this
so very well done and pretty scary :clap:
Don't you just hate that when it happens... cheers Allan :)

Hi DK - yep, that's bizarre alright. And now I'm glad I didn't try to do something like this - I'd never have pulled it off as well as you have. Love the idea, even if I can't look at it for very long (y)
He heeee :) Thanks Lorraine, I'm sure you could do it just fine :)

Hi DK creepy and bizarre with a capital B!
Glad you think so :LOL:

very well done, certainly can't see the join - but tis very creepy :eek: :eek:
Good... was designed to get into your dreams :D

Major catch up just for a change:rolleyes:

Mouth... Love the Dog on the steps! Looks like he's laughing like Joker (or is that at Joker) ;). Nice exposure, DOF working well here! :ROFLMAO:theme like mouth that Cobra was not the only one submitting 'Gob Shots':LOL::LOL:

Close up .... Cracking colour! and spot on focus in the centre, love the specks of pollen on the petals(y) Cant be more on theme than that...

Machine.... That's a really useful machine(y) I like the sharp focus on the cup! could do with a shot of that right now;). I think you did a good job of the lighting with all those reflective surfaces around.

Re-Shoot Close up... Can almost smell those beans, nice lighting again and pin sharp, not sure which I like best this or the flower...

Crowds... tactfully shoe horned;), I can see why you took the shot lovely clouds, wonder why there's always a wingtip in these shots (apart for the fact your on a plane of course).:whistle: Thinking about it, better change that to Main plane tip cos aircraft don't have wings.

Alphabet.... Love the Nerd and Geek bracelets, Probably fits the theme only too well as this forum is full of Nerdy, Geeky Togs! Present company accepted of course;)

Sound... That's cool, excellent lighting (Any flash / Indoor lighting I find a nightmare) there's really only one little reflection and that's on the edge of the focus so not really that noticeable Nice shot, I like it(y)

Experiment... Well shot, you certainly achieved your aim, dark and gritty! Like the lighting few odd reflections but think that adds to the believability of the image in a way. Nice shadow darks and lights. Gives a great impact.

Heat.... Lovely texture in the wood and the charred section, The torch giving the wood some encouragement to burn! Nothing like a bonfire(y) Fits the theme!

Figures .... Well you weren't that far out with that focus I had to look hard to spot it! I think the subtle colour of the boards set it out well

Household .... Think you must have had a gut full of that lately if your moving house:eek:. Great idea, Pin sharp DOF on this one. Cleverly fits the theme(y)

Limit... Really like this, for TP52 you need the Limit in but id have it out for the landscape after. Nice cloud, lights a bit flat but still a great shot. I think the exposure is pretty even across the frame including the limit sign, so although prominent, I feel it has to be in the context of the theme. Love the reflection of the sails in the water. Thinking what a great place to shoot dawn and dusk(y)

Reshoot Alphabbaaatt .... Ummm looks like another Photoshop moment up the sheep's Arsageddon :LOL: Oh and is that a reefer the sheep is smoking or just grass:exit:

Reshoot Machine... This is great, I really like these abandon machines, surprised this ones still got the Reg plate on it too. nice exposure.

Bizarre.... Guess its better than sheep's eyes :D Creepy and Bizarre! But the really good thing about this is you could be looking through the viewfinder and looking at the LCD screen on your camera at the same time(y)

Phew that'll teach me to make sure I comment on the ceremonial holder of the spread sheets posts more regularly!

That's me not sleeping well tonight!

That's truly horrible, but it works. It's bizarre enough, nice lighting, and the pp'd bit looks pretty neat to me.

Back