weekly DK's 52 of 2016 - Week 52 'Celebrate" added and COMPLETED

Thank you Emma :)

Well... it did a tad yes, here is the longest one that was stable enough on the mill (It was VERY windy and the wind was shaking the camera, despite me having my bag hanging from the tripod and me pulling it into the ground too)...

Here is a 13 second exposure - no tweaks to brightness, I think it needs brightening here and there, but if you zoom in it does have reeds and trees moving in the background too, just :)
Thanks Dean - it's really interesting to see the difference. I agree about the clouds, but I think the reeds at the front lose something with the extra movement. I think you got it spot on in the first now...good grief I can be difficult at times :D

Nice portrait, I like the overall darkness of it, but would just up the brightness/levels a little, of course that could just be different monitors

Sounds like a lot of faffing about to me Dean :D

But the result was well worth it (y)

Good for you DK - I'm just starting to play around with off-camera flash ... it's blooming hard to get the balance right. Like the highlights in the eyes.

Thanks Dean - it's really interesting to see the difference. I agree about the clouds, but I think the reeds at the front lose something with the extra movement. I think you got it spot on in the first now...good grief I can be difficult at times :D
ha HAaaaaaa yes you are aren't you :lol - Yes I agree too, well that is why I chose as you say, thank you :):

I really like the expression and connection in this one - I think you're right about a little light on the hair for some separation - but still a really nice feel to it.
Thanks again Emma... I feel another Speedlight is on my wish list, unless I do eventually move and have room for my big lights :)

Nice portrait, I like the overall darkness of it, but would just up the brightness/levels a little, of course that could just be different monitors
You could be right Allan, in fact I did use the brush in LR and did a highlight to the rear of her hair/head, and it seems to have disappeared when it left LR :(

Sounds like a lot of faffing about to me Dean :D
You ain't kidding mate, 4 times we did re-shoots to get the light right :LOL:

[/quote]But the result was well worth it (y)[/QUOTE]Cheers Chris :)

Like your B/W shot, nice portrait but as some of the others have said I would prefer to see a bit more of the face lifted out of the shadows.
Thank you Nigel :)

I will add that as a note on the sheet, as it seems it does need a lift :)

'ello, moody/sultry :)
Hey :)

First thing I noticed was the hard shadow from Jo's nose. Nice composition and BG is bang on.

Cheers.
Me too mate, Thanks Andy :) the choice was tough I pulled the light further backwards and it looked way too harsh, it really needed the second light I think ??

Good for you DK - I'm just starting to play around with off-camera flash ... it's blooming hard to get the balance right. Like the highlights in the eyes.
Cheers Carl :)

It is fun isn't it !!! the light in the eyes had to be done with a LED torch, I tried reflector for fill and catch light, but I fully snooted the flash with cardboard as I was determined to control the light and not have to artificially darken the background too much, although I did a tad :)

Nice photo, well worth the effort!

Don't know what to say, foreboding and mysterious is a good description.

Once aain I am behind with comments

Hidden - lovely scene
Lone - I like both but its the first one for me I prefer the head up poppy.
Fauna - Great shot love the detail and the colour
Static - all have an eerie feel, I like 2 and 3 best
Game - very low key (just as well) works well
Serene - Another great scene I like the effect from the long exposure.
Black and White - Dark but clear great shot

A bit of a catchup for me Dean, just finding it hard to keep up with all this :)

Flora, that is superb, the contrasting colours are very nice, can I ask how you got the black background?
Activity, nice shot, shows the bee in its environment and its nice and sharp
Life, nice portrait of a cat, it seems to have an expression on its face like 'get that camera out of my face!'
Hidden, not sure about this, but as you said keeps you on a roll
Lone, Poppies are always a good subject, I think its because of the red :), I think I prefer the first as you can see more of the centre of the flower
Fauna, this is really nice, the colours are good, detail good and a subject that I promised myself I would go and find this year, can't believe that its September already and I have not been out to find them!
Static, some nice images there, I like the long exposures on them and something I have got into lately! I think no 2 is my favourite :)

Hi Dean, the B&W portrait is great, never tried off camera flash but you seem to of cracked it ! struggle with portraits
feel very nervous asking people to pose etc. It suits the B&W theme to me

Blooming good idea - will have to give that a try.
It works well mate :)

Nice photo, well worth the effort!
Thank you :)

Don't know what to say, foreboding and mysterious is a good description.
Ooo cheers David :)

Well done setting everything up for that shot, sounds pretty complicated to me. The results were worth it though.
Thanks Steve, yes it did take a bit, but really enjoyed it (y)

Nicely executed, like the dark moody feel and her expression is spot on too.
Cheers Stan :)

A bit of a catchup for me Dean, just finding it hard to keep up with all this :)
Thanks Lee, it sure is tough for all to keep up :)

Flora, that is superb, the contrasting colours are very nice, can I ask how you got the black background?
Thanks... the background is just photographed outside and the blacks increased :)
Activity, nice shot, shows the bee in its environment and its nice and sharp
Thank you :)
Life, nice portrait of a cat, it seems to have an expression on its face like 'get that camera out of my face!'
Yep... that's Oscar :D
Hidden, not sure about this, but as you said keeps you on a roll
Exactly :)
Lone, Poppies are always a good subject, I think its because of the red :), I think I prefer the first as you can see more of the centre of the flower
Seems a popular choice for sure :)
Fauna, this is really nice, the colours are good, detail good and a subject that I promised myself I would go and find this year, can't believe that its September already and I have not been out to find them!
very true... not long now until the dark evenings and mornings :(
Static, some nice images there, I like the long exposures on them and something I have got into lately! I think no 2 is my favourite :)
Thank you again.... and for the big catch up Lee (y)

Smashing portrait DK ...I just noticed Allan's comment about different monitors and I've compared this computer screen to my iPad ...there's a vast difference in the effect of the lighting, it looks so much better ion my iPad. Very nicely done.
Cheers Susie :)

Agreed, I really must get my monitors calibrated, I have done the windows calibration and it doesn't seem to bad, but certainly needs to spot on nowadays I feel :)

Hi Dean, the B&W portrait is great, never tried off camera flash but you seem to of cracked it ! struggle with portraits
feel very nervous asking people to pose etc. It suits the B&W theme to me
Cheers Chris... I can assure you just ask somebody close and it gets easier each time :)

And onto this week... what a tough theme !!!

I was hoping to shoehorn my Thursday evening studio night into to it, but CHRIST @Cobra Ancient is one thing I could not even crowbar in :D

So - here is mine, popped to an ancient ruin 4 miles down the road.

The witch tree

The roofless nave and tower of St. Mary's church date back to the 15th century, in the middle of the nave grows a large oak tree, which some call the Witch's Finger. But tales have come into being that say an evil witch was once buried on the spot, and the church built on top of her to seal away her wickedness. As an added twist she had a wooden leg, which has sprouted and grown into the oak tree.

Ghostly monks and whispering voices have also been experienced here. Some have said that the witch and other troubled souls may be seen if you visit the church at midnight on Halloween; others, that the spirit of the witch herself will be released if you walk round the tree three times.

Hopefully my processing works, as the light was terrible, so 30sec exposure, little stopper and .75 medium ND to try and get ghostly movement in the trees.... didn't work great :D

Wk 36 - Ancient

Wk 36 - Ancient by TP DK, on Flickr

CHRIST @Cobra Ancient is one thing I could not even crowbar in :D
You need more practice, bloody amateurs :p
Interesting little write up Dean, interesting looking place too :)

What an excellent place and I think you have indeed done it justice, love the greens in the woodland (y)

Interesting place, nicely captured, I agree with Stan the pp and dynamic range are well handled.

Love it ... Do H&S know about that place?

Good colour and sense of wonkiness. :clap:

Great find and nicely exposed. Great colour, and I like the slight blur on the trees due to the long exposure. Very spooky indeed.

B & W.....Love the low key treatment, Dean.

Ancient. That looks like a very intriguing place for a mooch around!

Very nice. :)

Last edited:
You need more practice, bloody amateurs :p
I know mate... shameful even :LOL:
Interesting little write up Dean, interesting looking place too :)
Cheers Chris :)

What an excellent place and I think you have indeed done it justice, love the greens in the woodland (y)
Thank you Allan :)

I hope to visit this place more and catch some different seasons :)

An intriguing and mysterious tale Dean. Excellent POV and setting of the tree and inclusion of the kneeling figure.
Thanks Carl - and YAY !!! somebody did spot me :D

Its spooky:cautious:
Hahaaa yup.... but old too :)

Eeeek, just saw you, spooky :)
I thought you may Andy, you do look in detail which is cool :)

Pity about the keystoning :)
I did take it out on a couple mate, but it looked too normal for me, in the end I felt the leaning helped the all together wonkiness :D

Interesting place, liking the back story and am glad such places still exist.

Cheers.
Me too mate, thankfully a grade II listed building, but not fenced off at all, so glad we can explore these places :)

I thought you done well with the pp and manage to balance the highlight and shadow. :clap: An interesting story behind the image but feel more haunted than ancient.
Thank you Stan :)

Agree that it is a nice creepy place... but circa 600 years old I'm amazed it is still standing with all them tree roots around :D

Interesting place, nicely captured, I agree with Stan the pp and dynamic range are well handled.
Cheers Chris :)

I did struggle with the highlights, hense the use of the ND grad which certainly helped, I'm so glad that nowadays I take my time with such places :)

Love it ... Do H&S know about that place?
Hopefully not :D

Good colour and sense of wonkiness. :clap:
Thank you David :)

Great find and nicely exposed. Great colour, and I like the slight blur on the trees due to the long exposure. Very spooky indeed.
Cheers brnd, I was hoping for more blur but gave up in the end :)

B & W.....Love the low key treatment, Dean.
Thanks Ruth :)

Ancient. That looks like a very intriguing place for a mooch around!

Very nice. :)
It sure is.... thanks again :)

Nice shot with subtle hints of movement in the trees - which I noticed before I saw the kneeling figure in the BG...freaky!
Very cool location and an interesting back story - all good Dean! (y) You've done well stacking the filters too IMO. Nice one!

Dean, must admit I didn't spot you until I viewed on flickr ! Tempted to try out my big stopper now !
Hahaaaa I did wonder if people would :D - yep use it to it's full potential !!!

Nice shot with subtle hints of movement in the trees - which I noticed before I saw the kneeling figure in the BG...freaky!
Very cool location and an interesting back story - all good Dean! (y) You've done well stacking the filters too IMO. Nice one!
Thanks a lot Matt :)

Ooh - I like that a lot Dean - fascinating looking place and a great idea to include the spectral monk ;)
Cheers Em :) - If I had of thought about it before I got there I would have taken an old dressing gown or something :D

I like that a lot too DK....what a great location and I loved the story.....I think you've captured the spirit of the place perfectly.
Thank you Susie :)

Annnnd here is mine for this week, the week has shot past, busy busy busy :)

So with time running out, I popped over to the closest town last night after my photography club evening, and went down to the harbour/river - what I tried to get was a moody, moonlit shot with nice reflections, I think I got the main elements, although not the nicest of buildings, but hey box ticked :)

Oh yes... 3 image Panorama stitched in LR, thanks for visiting all :)

Last edited:
Hey Dean ... cutting it fine again I see. The buildings may not be "the nicest" but the pano is great - the slight ripple in the water and the reflections of the street scene are excellent. Not sure about white buildings on the lhs as they only serve to create a harsh break from the flowing yellow street scene so may have cropped them out. :clap:

Back