weekly dmb's 52 for 2018 (Wk 30 - Cook) and over and out.

Definitely sells the story of a rural area. Nice use of the road as a diagonal to break up the shot a bit. I also like the inclusion of the walls.
Both the road and the closest wall point you towards the mountain in the background.

Nicely on theme and as Dave says good leading lines, the contrast boost lifts it nicely

Bright
Looks good for the theme and well composed. I would maybe just get rid of the white bit on the top left hand side.

Very bright, a real nit-pick but I think the focus is a bit to far towards the .back of the flower for me

Week 26 - Elegant

Elegant Dining by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Minimal PP as only have a tablet and an Otg cable to move stuff off the Canon. The internet connection is via satellite at the farm we are staying at and slow is not the word. Daughter is doing most of the driving and as the grass on the hedgebanks touches both sides of a Honda Jazz on the last 2 miles to the farm I'm glad to let her get the experience. [emoji48]

Last edited:
Hi David,

Bright - Good use of Greens and Yellows and the harsh midday sun. Bang on for the theme.
Elegant - I really like that. Not sure if the focus is quite right (doesn't seem to be on the roll or the menu 100%), but with the overall effect, that doesn't matter (to me anyway). (y)

Like the idea for elegant David, I prefer how it looks on Flickr as apposed to on here. Good work

Elegant
Is works quite well for the theme, as others have said, it's a shame about the plate and serviette being slightly out of shot.

I'm afraid I'm going to agree with whats gone before. Shame about the plate and the napkin. and I am also wondering where the focus was intended to be. I'd like it to be more focused on the menu. It is however very elegant, more so than my normal tv dinners ;).

Week 27 - Derelict

Decidedly Derelict

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Not an ideal shot but this is the only place to get a view of what used to be a restaurant on a trawler dressed up as a paddle steamer on a non-navigable river 40 miles from the sea.

Hi David.

Like the derelict shot. I like the composition. I like the branch on the left obscuring the front of the boat and the plant/bush thing in the bottom right. My only criticism would be the blown sky, which for me slightly spoils the top of the image.

That is a lovely table setting for Elegant, David, with some nice details and gentle light. I might have tried to include all of the plate but I don't know if that was possible, and the boat is a nice find for Derelict with the obvious lean of the funnel and the red of the hull contrasting with the summery greens.

Week 28 - Home

Mobile Home

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

A little rain has brought out the mobile homes in my garden. This one was treated to a lettuce leaf for being a model rather than a swift flight into my neighbours garden :naughty:

Elegant, really looks like an elegant arrangement, like others I am not sure about the point of focus, maybe the menu would of been my choice for focus, but its all just french to me!

Derelict, very fond of old boats and this one is great, fits the theme and like the colours.

Home, great picture which looks so much better on flickr, glad your not my neighbour though, you and my misses would start WW3!;)

Home - I was going to say, nice focus on the eyes but could do with a bit more DoF because it seems like a lot of the picture is oof. But then I looked on Flickr. Much nicer. Enough in focus there. Plus I like the fact you paid your model an appropriate fee for the session.

Hi David,

Derelict - With the fairly well kept paintwork, it really doesn't have a derelict air to it, though the foliage taking it over says otherwise. I quite like the compo, the tress surrounding hte boat on all angles does frame it.

Home - I'm with Ross on this, I feel it needs a deeper DoF, it looks OOF (except it isn't as you've nailed the eyes).

David

Quite clever, round of toast (or not as it's missing) on a round plate.Everything (colours, exposure, sharpness etc) is top notch.

Pete

Mmmmmm toast! Gotta have me some now :)

Round hole in a square bread is what came to mind when I first saw it but round of toast is better, nicely done.

Nicely done David. I missed the "round" of toast too at first. Clever take on the theme perfectly executed.:)

David

This is my opinion only. Good take on the theme. I feel the picture should be in landscape orientation. You have marks on the tray which should have been cleaned off and there is liquid dropping down the side of the ramokin which would also have been cleaned off in a resturant. The cook book is not in focus on the important part and I'm not a fan of the tray, perhaps it should be darker. You have elements of a good picture, just they need improving.

Pete

David

This is my opinion only. Good take on the theme. I feel the picture should be in landscape orientation. You have marks on the tray which should have been cleaned off and there is liquid dropping down the side of the ramokin which would also have been cleaned off in a resturant. The cook book is not in focus on the important part and I'm not a fan of the tray, perhaps it should be darker. You have elements of a good picture, just they need improving.

Pete
OK. I'll save my time from now on. Bye.

Loving the detail captured on the top of the Creme Brulee, you can clearly make out the meniscus.
Well lit. With the tray being silver there could easily be blown highlights, but there isn't. :)

OK. I'll save my time from now on. Bye.
Hi David

I hope I haven't offended you it was not my intention. Feel free to rip my effects apart,you will see things that can be improved, there will be many to pick from. After all it's about learning and improving, we all can not be the masters of all types of Photos.
Generally you have a very different take on these themes which I enjoy.

Pete

Spot on theme, I like the point of focus being the caramel on top of the brulee, exposure spot on, book makes for an interesting back gound, its not product photography so I think that the fact it does not look like one served up in a restaurant adds to the picture rather than detracts.

Back