Dom's 52-21- A year older, but none the wiser. Wk: 36 Unnatural

Not sure about the teddy’s eyebrows they are a little scary :wideyed: but two very nice shots of him regardles.

The composition in the first image looks to be the right one to me. The subject is balanced nicely with the wooden steps.

Nice to see the setup shot too. I think it's amazing what some people can do with a cramped space!

The picture is excellently lit but there is a haze or lack of contrast across the whole image and the blacks need to be a little blacker. Under, and to the left of the bear is where it shows up the most. It's nearly there but needs a slight processing IMHO. I did download it and adjust it before seeing that you have edit my images = no.

Last edited:
Lovely teddy pic - we have more than a few here :)

love the teddy picture, you've got the light spot on as far as i'm concerned ... great job

NIce!

The first shot in particular is relly sweet, and the lighting is great.

Toys
I did get a feeling of unease from the teddy images, its maybe the addition to the face makes it too noticeable and you expect it to be more worn like the rest of it. The lighting works well but maybe more separation to the background would increase the light falloff and darken it.

Wk:20 Artificial

I had a couple of ideas for this theme, i've settled on this one, although i'm not to sure which to choose.
I'm going to go with this one.

untitled-6.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

This one is my preferred composition, but i think the box with the flies in is quite distracting being so bright, the box is made from aluminium so there's not a lot i could do about it.
untitled-5.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

And this one i like but feel the reel is a bit too close to the bottom of the frame.
untitled-2.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Nice shots - any of them would have worked well for me.

Got to say that I think the 1st one is the right one. The second one has merit because the hooks make the image much clearer at first glance, but I think you're right about the box. Maybe taking them out and putting them on the felt pad (?) would have worked better? Another splitting hairs comment really because I think the first one does get the message across.

Inventive idea too!

I think all work, but you've probably chosen the best one.

I like that you've included the rod and reel for context and have chosen a fly to contrast well with the reel.

They're all good images and nice to see the context. However, given the colour of the flies I would have enjoyed some macro shots of those too.

I do prefer your chosen image, the balance works better. The second one my eyes focus on the writing and then notice how busy the fly box is. Can definitely see potential in macro images with all the interesting shapes.

Nice idea!
Personally I like the last one the most, the inclusion of the scales hints at a complete process, if that makes any sense?

I think you chosed the right one, great colour contrast between the reel and the fly.

Pete

I lke the first one as well. These are huge hooks - what do you catch with them?

Plain and simple Dom, I like it.

I like Ferns anyway, I have loads of different ones :D

I like that, there's something uneasy in the composition to me, and that's what makes it work.

Lovely mono - works really well :)

Patterns
Works really well in mono, with all the different contrasting area, the shape also adds to the overall appeal. I'm presuming it was difficult to decide where to crop it on the bottom edge.

Lovely picture with a nice highlight in the dog's eye.

What Martin said, lovely portrait of your dog Dominic.

Eye eye - nice one

Patterns - really like your fern frond. Works very nicely against the black background.

Close Up - Was that eye focused on a dog treat? I no longer have a dog, but I always struggled to photograph their eyes because of their tendency to look away ( and be subserviant). You've captured this really nicely . Just lovely.

Was that eye focused on a dog treat? I no longer have a dog, but I always struggled to photograph their eyes because of their tendency to look away ( and be subserviant).
There was a treat in the lens hood, but it still took many, many attempts to get anything usable. My other problem was the lighting, because of Ruby's shiny black coat, I had to have the softbox really close (12"-18"). This then makes a big catchlight in the eye (well too big for my liking). A more rounded softbox would probably be better, but I don't have one of those.

Up close
Really nice portrait of Ruby, I'm assuming she has a docile nature and poses quite happily.

Back