weekly Donnie's 52 in 2016 - Week 23456789 and 10 - ADDED

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Some old tools and Lambretta Parts from the shed.
Light painted with a red cycle light, followed by a small torch then processing involved a crop, some sharpening and increasing the contrast and desaturation to bring it to a near black and white, but not quite.

Week 00 - OLD by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Last edited:
I hope you are going to put that back together now :D

Very nice Paul, nice and sharp, lots of detail (y)

Hi Paul. Don't think the link back to your '52 is working - I've had to come the hard way .... via your postings. Nice sharp image and excellent composition - definitely themed. It could maybe do with a little brightening in parts to bring out some of the items like the chain. Well done though. :clap:

Wet clutch plates and final drive sproket (and chain) at a guess, plus various tools.
Works well, I like the black background and the way the drive chain begins to blend into the background.
:clap:

Thanks all, think i have fixed the link back to the thread now :)

The chain was hard to light I have to admit without over lighting all the other parts, if I was to take it again I think I would just replace it with something else :)

Definitely would fit into the METAL theme too. I definitely like the dark colour on this one.

Nice lightpainting there and some great detail.

I'd like to see the parts in a different way...they seem a little random, which may have been your intention.

Cheers.

Hi Paul

I really like what I can see of the chain. :)

Hi Paul

Really like your take on old something a bit different as others have said a good fit for metal too

definitely old fair bit of metal too could count for both

Weathered and rusty gate bolt and lock. Shot handheld then processed in the proprietry olympus software that came with the camera as I still can't decide whether to subscribe to Lightroom or Capture Pro.
Mono conversion, added a touch of contrast, dropped the exposure by 0.5 and added the vignette.

Now Im only 3 weeks behind!!

Week 01 - Metal by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice shot Paul - like the DoF and that padlock framed by the hole in the gate. Excellent find. :clap:

Nice couple of pictures Paul. Old is spot on, although on my monitor I find the darks are a bit too dark to resolve much detail (the chain, top right, for example). However, I haven't calibrated my monitor for a while, so that may be my problem rather than yours :)

Metal is super. Either you have super narrow DOF or there's a bit of selective focus going on. Which is fine, because it adds to the image - really draws you into the lock. Really like the processing on this - any particular tips as to how you achieved it? Edited to add: doh! If I'd read your commentary above the picture, I'd be able to see precisely how you did it :oops: :$

And following on the theme of your pictures covering two bases, I guess your metal picture could work for captured too!

Great take on a metal theme, the oof on the bolt really helps to enhance the padlock

Nice shot of the padlock, great detail and great DoF. Not so sure about the vignetting, looks a bit hard edged for my taste.

Hi Paul. Metal is defo on theme, but I find the DoF just a little too shallow. The body of the padlock is in focus, but the shackle isn't and I think a slightly deeper DoF would have improved the shot (but just my opinion, so feel free to ignore).

Metal - good take on theme hole frames the padlock well and highlights is

Metal - I like the very shallow DOF leaving just the padlock in focus. I'm not sure about the vignette, i don't dislike it on the left hand side but it seems to have darkened the right a bit to much for my liking (particularly so close to the padlock).

The mono conversion really suits the shot and I like the DoF with just the padlock in focus(y)

Like the padlock shot, very nice. Just the right DoF and good b&w conversion.

I like the fact the lock is framed by the hole behind it, too.

Your metal shot is nice and sharp too. Looks a tad dark but may just be my screen.

OH BOY have I been slacking, got a complete block on week 2 "Captive" which has taken the wind out of my sails so I'm playing catchup big time!

Week 2 - Captive
Not the best photo but just a snap as this shot is the one that's been holding me up to be honest.
So, this is a snap rather than a photo as if I don't get my backside in gear I'll never carry on this photo a week project!
Week 02 - Captive by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 3 - Miniature
Taken from on high through glass which is the only chance in hell of getting this shot as there "decorative" barriers all over this car park. Still I like the fisheye effect giving the miniature perspective.Week 03 - Miniature by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 4 - Happy
An iPhone snap from a recent midweek break with the Mrs. Still happy after over 25 years!
Week 04 - Happy by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 5 - Abandoned
(NOT) an abandoned vehicle.
Week 05 - Abandoned by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 6 - Camouflage
A simple section of my camouflage waterproofs.
Week 06 - Camouflage by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 7 - Danger
Week 07 - Danger by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi Donnie, that's a bit of a catch up...
Captive - A carefully chosen captive for today? Personally I would have gone with both figures in sharp focus.
Miniature - That's an interesting effect, how did you do it? (y)
Happy - Fits the theme and I quite like the crop. You need to look at the verticals though.
Abandoned - Nice textures in the rust and nicely sharp. :)
Camouflage - Is that camouflaged clothing? It's actually quite an interesting image, perhaps because it is close up and therefore not really recognisable.
Danger - Sorry, not feeling the love for this one.
Topical - I've still not got the link between Topical & Cream. Nicely sharp on the creams though so a decent enough shot technically.
Living World - @Cobra will be after you for nicking his gob shots ;)
Spiky - Nicely sharp image. Nice use of very shallow DoF.

Been busy then Donnie! Good to see your catching up. It is not as easy as you first think is it! I have struggled this week with hardly any comments and just no time to think the topic through!!

Abandoned is my top pick! Like the sharpness and composition - well spotted. Second would be the drugs as I like the image- like Tim though I don't get the theme? I am quite slow though!!

Keep going!!

Hi guys and thanks for the comments!

Yes im really playing catchup and now need to get right caught up this weekend so i can start doing more commenting too!

Many are quick opportunistic shots and yeah, I set up captive in a rush and when I chimped on the back of the camera didnt notice the stormtrooper out of focus to be honest but just could not be arsed to retake as id put everything away :-( and if i didnt simply use it I don't think I would even carry on now, so it's a sacrifice :)

@LC2 the miniature shot is just a fisheye shot from on high, the verticals on the selfie for happy are naff, as is the horizon, I tried straightening it but then the crop cut right through my right eye :-(
Camouflage is indeed simply a tight crop section of my own waterproofs adn dangers a snap of one of my walkabouts.

as for the topical, creams are prescribed as "Topical use" ie for use on the skin :) and @Richard Miller as for abandoned being a good spot? It's on my drive :)

Hi Paul. Some catch-up !! The stand-out image of the set is Abandoned - love the crop, colour, textures and the DoF - all work really well together. :clap:

Great catch up Paul !
I really like the fish eye Bedford bus station and the rusty Lambretta

Really good catch up there Paul.

The lego shot made me chuckle :LOL:
And LOVE the DOF on your Spiky shot!

Excellent catch up there Paul, hope you can stick with it as you have some really interesting shots there for the themes, I though they all fitted the topics perfectly but my favourite is definitely your fish eye Miniature shot ...a real eye catcher, although Abandoned does run as a very close second :)

Back