weekly Elaine's 52 for 2016 - Urban added

Good abstract. And, in abstract mode, I think it might be fun to do an image looking like a black comb and a white comb interlocking. Optical illusionary. o_O

Hi Elaine, just catching up with some threads and you had the same idea as me for Technology :) I see you also had to work under pressure while the owner hovered! Of the two I prefer the first one because I like the messy, colourful tangles of wires and the details of the circuit boards etc behind, and it certainly does shout Technology.

Horizontal is a cracker! An original idea and it works very well in black and white, giving a stark abstract result :clap:

Blimey... there seems to be hundreds of images there :)

Spiky - for me it's the #4, not the sharpest of images but just love its expression, there again the silhouette of 5 is great too :)

Artificial - for me its #2 this time, interesting shadows and textures all over:)

Personal - Oooo monkeys again for sure, such playful characters, look like they spotted you too :D

Technology - Number 2 for me, One looks a tad busy with all in focus, whereas two has something for my eyes to settle on, like it :)

Horizontal - Just love this one, soooooo effective, like that it is a vertical image for horizontal... great image :clap:

Thanks for all the comments.

Week 16 - Vast - Nice sunny day for a change, so I went for a walk in the park to capture some of the vast quantity of vast trees there.

#1 I quite liked this one as it was. Not quite sooc, but not too far from it.

29f5cpj.jpg

#2 - Plenty of pp going on in this one to add lots of contrast and give a more abstract silhouette

ek5ax3.jpg

#3 - There was so much blue sky that I thought I'd do something for vast blue yonder, but I couldn't find an interesting focal point until a couple of hours later back home, I noticed this going over. Three for the price of one here - vast speed, vast distance and vast blue yonder :p

ok093c.jpg

Hi Elaine. You've been busy. I like the colours, composition and POV of #1, the gnarly silhouette of #2 - torn between those two really but probably #1 fits the theme best. :clap:

Blimey Carl, you were quick off the mark, only just finished copying them onto the main thread! Thanks :)

Hi Elaine

No 1 for me love the low POV and colours great take on the theme

Hi Elaine,

Technology - number 2 for me, the first I find a bit to many details but I like the angle and DOF on the second, only slight comment would be the lead (I think) that can be seen through the hole on the left is a bit distracting

Horizontal - When I first saw it I thought you had carried on your PC theme and it was some sort of grill, wouldn't have guessed that it was a comb. Works very well and you have done a good job with the PP.

Three good shots. The first one is the outstanding one for me, I like the way the tree trunks draw your eye up the picture and the warm light/colours work well. I also like the diagonal composition of the third and the way the plane blends with the sky.

1st one for me Elaine, a vast array of colours and textures going on there.

Horizontal, love this photograph Elaine. Strong, powerful image. Very creative.
Vast, three excellent photos, overall I prefer the fist, superb PoV and the colour is perfect.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm quite surprised by all the positive reaction to the first one because, as I said, that's the one I did the least work on and I agree with Paul and Andy's comments that a bit more light and shade and a wider lens would have improved it. The light and shade, I could probably manage with a bit of dodge and burn, but the wider lens will need to wait until I win the lottery and can afford to buy a "proper" camera :sorry:

Week 17 - Rough

I decided to have a bit of fun with this one. The bear's my "shopaholic" mascot that Mike bought for me years ago, so the clothes and bags were already attached. The cans and bottle are cardboard cutouts that I printed out from google images and the recycling sign was added in pp.

Rough as.............

eqa1j4.jpg

Ha ha ha ... Yes that well-known expression definitely comes to mind what him being ... um .... over-exposed as it were, so well themed Elaine. Like the humorous take and the cut-outs and pp work. :clap:

Horizontal - simple looking shot very striking image
Vast - 3 good shots. I really like the 1st one it is the best of the 3
Rough - fun take on the them I like it

I thought it was "rough as a badgers arse" TBH :D

But no matter, great fun image Elaine (y)

Hi Elaine,
#2 for Vast for me, loving the silhouette of the tree against the sky.
Rough... I thought it was a badger's ****. A fun shot though :)

I thought it was "rough as a badgers arse" TBH :D

But no matter, great fun image Elaine (y)
I wonder if it's a north/south divide thing? I've never heard badger's used before, it's always been bear's!

Week 18 - Covered

When this theme came up last November I was hoping for snow, but was disappointed! This time I thought I was in luck because we were due to visit family who live on the edge of the Pennines at the weekend and I knew they'd had heavy snow earlier in the week. However, by the time we got there on Sunday afternoon constant rain had washed away all traces, so my dreams of snow-covered mountain tops were thwarted once more :(

The rain finally stopped persisting down on Tuesday and so I did what I always do when I'm in need of inspiration and went for a walk in the park. There were plenty of moss-covered tree stumps and stones around in the woods, but since that's what I resorted to last year I decided to head down to the ponds and take advantage of the breeding season.

#1 Two Covereds in one here - the female goose is keeping the nest well covered, whilst her partner covers her back

116nx4n.jpg

#2 Unlike the goose eggs, the ducklings have already hatched and I suspect that many of them have already been lost to the cold snap and predators. Hopefully this little one will make it - Mum's got him covered.

2h6ccnk.jpg

Hi Elaine. Like the thinking behind the shots - he's definitely on guard and so covered. #2 for cuteness. :clap:

I'm guessing you used a wide aperture in #2 ? as the focus appears to be on mums "blaze"
(or were you using multi point focus and it grabbed that as it was the closest and more contrasting?.)
I'd have preferred to have seen it on one or the others eye TBH.

But I still prefer the composition of that one :)

Back