weekly Elaine's 52 for 2016 - Urban added

Okay, quick catch up.

Colourful - number 1 for sure. Such a gorgeous bird and nice and colourful. Sharp take too.

Entrance - number 1 again. How can you not like a duck with glasses on? Looks like it should be partying in Ibiza haha.

Size - clever idea with not just the one comparison.

Forgotten - stocks are a good take and I love the idea. The execution isn't the best, but I wouldn't have even tried it and how else will you learn. Good effort and no doubt better than I could do if I did give it a go!

Keep it up, Elaine :)

Must be getting late Elaine, I couldn't quite work the photo out at first. Then came back and well I think
your idea is great, nice tones. I am just starting out with my photography let alone PS but I have a feeling to get my
ideas across I need to spend some time with PS.

Forgotten, lol great idea Elaine, nice piece of Photo chopping too.

Size - Very cute Elaine. Well lit too, all of those whites could have come out wrong, or merging into each other, but you've got some good separation.
Forgotten - That's a fun composite :) Perversely I prefer the hands to the skulls, they look more in the shot whereas the skull stand out as pasted in to me.

Week 23 Stone

Decided to get this one in early because I'm off to Greece for 5 weeks the week after next and I didn't want to start getting behind before I even go away.

It didn't take me long to think what to do, with the Stone Roses' reunion concerts and single being big news up here at the moment. I shot the flowers and stones separately and desaturated the stones before using them as the bg. The roses are actually bright yellow, so I started off with the original colour, then I did a complete desaturation job on them, but in the end I preferred this one with a bit of a lavender tint.

Stone Roses

2n1gsp0.jpg

Nicely done Elaine. Like the thought behind the image; the end result is excellent. It would make a lovely image to frame and hang. :clap:

Nice idea Elaine, nicely processed too :)

Decided to get this one in early because I'm off to Greece for 5 weeks
Its alright for some :p
Enjoy :)

That is a beauty of a shot Elaine! I honestly think it's the best image I've seen from your 52 and probably the leading contender for shot of the week for this theme... absolutely top notch :clap:

The DOF fall-off as a natural border in the corners and the overall tone, processing, lighting and composition are just perfect.

I'd be utterly delighted with that image if I'd taken it (y)

Stone - I saw it and wondered stone roses? then read your comments you got it spot on great picture well put together

Well, the last few weeks have passed far more quickly than I would have liked, but I'm home again now and it's time for a massive catch up! We've been visiting Corfu and Paxos since the early 90s and I must have taken hundreds of thousands of photos in all those years, so it was good to have specific themes in mind to stop me taking the same landscape shots yet again!

Week 24 - Simple (Pleasures)
The marina in Corfu Town was full of multi-million pound super-yachts, but the local kids were perfectly happy enjoying the simple pleasure of taking turns to jump off the end of the jetty. The whites are a bit overpowering, I don't think that shooting out of a cool shady bar into bright sunlight was the best plan.

vn00ht.jpg

Week 25 - Sign
I couldn't resist this sign attached to somebody's gate. Only in Greece!

166hbp.jpg

Week 26 - Flora (& fauna)
Paxos was absolutely covered in flowers in June and I took masses of photos of them, but I decided to use this one for a bit of added interest - bougainvillea and butterfly

96cgi1.jpg

Week 27 - Activity
Temperatures close to 40° don't exactly encourage much activity, but we hired a boat for a few days and at least the wake it created gives the impression of being active ;)

wvbq0x.jpg

Week 28 - Life (on the ocean waves)
Another one taken from the hire boat. Desaturated to give a more timeless feel to it.

2z66xd4.jpg

Week 29 - Hidden
I spent what felt like hours standing in the blazing sun with camera poised, trying to get a shot of our resident lizard emerging from his home HIDDEN in the logpile next to the bbq. It's quite a substantial pile of logs with multiple entry and exit points and the lizard was far more alert and quicker to react to my movements than I was to his and scoot back into hiding. So I got plenty of shots of the logs and was on the point of giving up and considering whether to submit one of those with an explanation that there really was a lizard hidden somewhere in there - honest! However, my patience finally paid off minutes before I was about to expire through heat exhaustion.

2laphqp.jpg

OMG a real good catch-up Elaine. I like the action shot for Simple, the almost child-like representation of a donkey for Sign, the relaxing scene in Life but my fave of the set if Flora - beautiful colours and detail in that butterfly - nice composition too. :clap:

Hi Elaine that went by quickly, glad you had a good time :)
They all work really well for the themes, the donkey sign is great, what a unique find, and your butterfly is a beauty, Well done for having the patience with the lizard, they are so unbelievably quick aren't they, you did very well to get so much detail in that shot.

Hi Elaine.
Simple - o problem with the white (or black point) in that shot, in the light you have there it is always going to be bright. I like the vibrancy of it.
Sign - That is an amusing sign. Well spotted
Flora - Nice purples in the flower, it could perhaps do with a little lightening
Activity - Nice sharp shot (esp considering the conditions you were shooting in), great colours too.
Life - Not sure on this one, the washed out feel doesn't do it justice in my eyes.
Hidden - That shot was deffo worth the effort you put into it. Crisp with good capture of his lizardships texture and colours.

Nicely caught up Elaine, the Reptile appeals to me the most,
But then why wouldn't it? :D

Thanks to everyone who has commented. I'm still playing catch up after my holiday and I spent part of the weekend helping out with the grand re-opening of the newly restored Bramall Hall in the park. Parts of it date back to the 14th century and the room to which I was allocated was in one of the oldest - and reputedly the most haunted - parts of the building! I have to say it felt extremely lonely whenever there was a lull in the flow of visitors, but I possibly wasn't quite as lonely as my friend in the corner - who after all had no body :coat:

I couldn't decide whether I preferred the colour or the mono version. so here's both.

v6u1ll.jpg

15pkebq.jpg

Great catch up,particularly like the butterfly and the wake from the boat for activity. The mono version of the suit of armour has a very old-world feel to it.

I would normally go for b&w Elaine but for some reason I prefer the colour version - maybe it's to do with the richness of the wood in the fg, Like the way the feet are curled over that plinth "he's" standing on. Certainly having nobody is bound to make anyone feel lonely.

Last edited:
Nice take on the theme Elaine difficult choice I really like both of them but I keep being pulled to the B&W version.

Hahaaa at no-body :LOL:

I too prefer the coloured version, I think it's the warmth of light coming off the old oak that is a tad lost in the B&W :)

<EDIT> Looks like I have said the same as others, assured I did type mine before reading them once posted :D

Last edited:
Back