weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Beautiful picture Em, and beautiful kids.
Thanks for re-posting.

Aw! Such a touching image Emma ... wondered what the talk was all about. Exceptional ... exudes emotion. Technically excellent too with the DoF and colour etc.

A very nice and tender moment :)

Beautiful picture Em, and beautiful kids.
Thanks for re-posting.

It is a very beautiful picture.

Aw! Such a touching image Emma ... wondered what the talk was all about. Exceptional ... exudes emotion. Technically excellent too with the DoF and colour etc.

A very nice and tender moment :)
Thank you all. Amber's now on her 4th night out with new friends in a row and William has already asked if he can move into her room...hope that doesn't spoil the emotion too much ;)

Urban - great idea and great photos. I prefer #1 where the hens appear to be reading that book. And the brickwork in the background adds to the feeling of urbanity.

Pair - lovely portrait, well lit and nice background. And lovely (but sad) story.

Hi Emma ...saying goodbye is never easy is it ...I've done that so many times along life's way, you've captured it beautifully there, the sadness in the eyes says it all.
But, a wonderful new adventure lies ahead for your daughter, and an extra special Christmas really isn't that far away, it will fly by.

Urban - great idea and great photos. I prefer #1 where the hens appear to be reading that book. And the brickwork in the background adds to the feeling of urbanity.

Pair - lovely portrait, well lit and nice background. And lovely (but sad) story.
Thanks Bernd...it was one of those lightbulb moments when I realised we had that book on the shelf!

Hi Emma ...saying goodbye is never easy is it ...I've done that so many times along life's way, you've captured it beautifully there, the sadness in the eyes says it all.
But, a wonderful new adventure lies ahead for your daughter, and an extra special Christmas really isn't that far away, it will fly by.
Thanks so much for you kind words Susie. You're absolutely right - we've had some lovely chats on the phone over the last couple of weeks and it's wonderful to hear how much she's enjoying it all.

Pair, can't really crit such a tender moment.

Nice.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy.

A couple of takes on Worthing Pier - trying to capture how small you feel standing underneath it. Unfortunately I couldn't make it there for sunrise/sunset this week - but it was pleasant early evening sun. I thought the creamtone suited the under the pier shot as the colours seemed to detract from the many patterns and didn't add a lot - pity it's not symmetrical - maybe it's wonky pier as well as poor photographer...or maybe that's wishful thinking!

under the pier2.jpg

under the pier3 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
Hi Emma. Both good shots but I prefer #2 because of it's quirkier POV. Nice detail of the under structure - the most central crossed struts draws the eye towards the vanishing point.

I agree with Carl, the line of central cross-members disappearing down to the vanishing point is great.

The 2nd photo shows how high the sea comes up as the seaweed is stuck to the higher structures. Both photos show just how big these piers are, huge.

Second one is excellent would probably clone out the wire hanging down on the right, very good perspective though

Hi Emma. Both good shots but I prefer #2 because of it's quirkier POV. Nice detail of the under structure - the most central crossed struts draws the eye towards the vanishing point.

I agree with Carl, the line of central cross-members disappearing down to the vanishing point is great.

The 2nd photo shows how high the sea comes up as the seaweed is stuck to the higher structures. Both photos show just how big these piers are, huge.

Second one is excellent would probably clone out the wire hanging down on the right, very good perspective though

Thanks so much everyone...I think I'm liking the second one better today too. I wasn't sure about the processing last night after fiddling around with it. @alsjazzera removing the wire would definitely help the balance, but I sort of wanted to leave it in its original untidy state, too!

Two great shots of the pier but, for me, the second one has the edge and your sepia tone works really well.

If you had stood a bit closer to the sea so that the bit of the pier on the top left hadn't been in #1 would have been much better in my opinion. But #2 is my favourite, interesting PoV, great symmetry and the sepia tone works.

Two great shots of the pier but, for me, the second one has the edge and your sepia tone works really well.

Second one for me too Emma. The sepia does it more justice IMHO and that amazing vanishing point :clap:

Has to be the second one for me too Emma, brilliant POV, and the sepia suits it perfectly, a real smasher :clap:
Thank you all - I wish I'd thought of the sepia tone first - I'm fairly happy with this shot in the end :)

If you had stood a bit closer to the sea so that the bit of the pier on the top left hadn't been in #1 would have been much better in my opinion. But #2 is my favourite, interesting PoV, great symmetry and the sepia tone works.
Cheers Bernd. Including the pier top left was intentional as I wanted to give a sense of height as well as length...but I agree the second shot is probably more successful :)

And for my 1000 message, what a stunning shot, the last seed and I love it in Sepia.:) I must try using that settings.

Nicely spotted Emma and well chosen for the theme - especially like the simplicity. Excellent composition and DoF.

And for my 1000 message, what a stunning shot, the last seed and I love it in Sepia.:) I must try using that settings.

Nicely spotted Emma and well chosen for the theme - especially like the simplicity. Excellent composition and DoF.

After, wonderful lighting there, nice shallow DOF. I do like a good botanical and this works for me.

Cheers.
Thank you very much for the kind comments everyone :)

Hi Emma

Well spotted fits the theme perfectly love the simplicity of it.

Well spotted Emma. Unless you picked the leaves off :whistle: Great composition, but the DoF is a bit too shallow for my liking.

Well spotted Emma. Unless you picked the leaves off :whistle: Great composition, but the DoF is a bit too shallow for my liking.
As if I would do such a thing! :jawdrop: :angelic:
Actually I might, but didn't need to here :pThanks for the feedback - much appreciated. The shallow dof was to try and pick out just the seed. But I can see it might not be to everyone's taste.

Hi Emma,
Big - Much as I like the shot taken from the off angle, the one from the centre underneath shades it in my opinion. The patterns of the supports criss crossing each other wins, and the hanging seaweed simply adds interest to it.
I prefer the first edit, I don't think the sepia adds anything to it.
After - Very nicely done, loving the very shallow DoF. Macro lens?

Hi Emma,
Big - Much as I like the shot taken from the off angle, the one from the centre underneath shades it in my opinion. The patterns of the supports criss crossing each other wins, and the hanging seaweed simply adds interest to it.
I prefer the first edit, I don't think the sepia adds anything to it.
After - Very nicely done, loving the very shallow DoF. Macro lens?
Thank you Tim - I think I prefer the sepia because it echoes the actual tones of the wood and rusty metalwork under the pier, although I didn't think of that when I first converted it.
As for the lens - yes, it's the Sigma 105...it's rarely off my camera at the moment!

Back