weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Oh my...is it Thursday already?! I had been hoping to get out locally for a beach shoot - nothing says serene to me more than being on an almost deserted beach as the sun comes up and is definitely one of my very favourite things to do. After 20 years of living down here on the South coast it still seems like the biggest luxury to be able to get to the sea so easily. It looks like I've run out of time though, so I'll offer up another photo I took last Thursday (after the theme was announced I think!). I had been hoping to get a shot of one of these little beauties for a while and was really pleased that they were so calm in the warm sunshine - a serene butterfly, and the colours and feel of the shot make me feel pretty serene too :) The second one is from Bulgaria - I didn't have much chance for any landscape shots in good light, but in this case our hotel was just a minute of so from the beach and I was able to get out for a sunrise. Thanks to @viv1969 for composition suggestions on this one!

azure by Emma Varley, on Flickr

tranquility by Emma Varley, on Flickr

Two lovely shots. I think the beach one says Serene a bit better for me and I like the mix of soft colours in it, also the contrast of the warms colours of the sun/sky to the blues in the sea.

The butterfly is a beautiful shot as well, love the deep rich blues against the background and such great detail on the butterfly.

Emma, your butterfly image is staggeringly pretty.
Amazing detail.

Your beach image screams whispers serene though.....Has to be my favourite. :)

Butterfly for me Emma, great composition, lovely colours, great DoF & nice and sharp :)

I must admit the beach scene is also very nice but the PoV on it makes my brain hurt :D

Oh my...is it Thursday already?! I had been hoping to get out locally for a beach shoot - nothing says serene to me more than being on an almost deserted beach as the sun comes up and is definitely one of my very favourite things to do. After 20 years of living down here on the South coast it still seems like the biggest luxury to be able to get to the sea so easily. It looks like I've run out of time though, so I'll offer up another photo I took last Thursday (after the theme was announced I think!). I had been hoping to get a shot of one of these little beauties for a while and was really pleased that they were so calm in the warm sunshine - a serene butterfly, and the colours and feel of the shot make me feel pretty serene too :) The second one is from Bulgaria - I didn't have much chance for any landscape shots in good light, but in this case our hotel was just a minute of so from the beach and I was able to get out for a sunrise. Thanks to @viv1969 for composition suggestions on this one!

azure by Emma Varley, on Flickr

tranquility by Emma Varley, on Flickr
These shots are beautiful, the sea is stuff so soft and lovely. Its really dreamy.

I've really been struggling to get on here lately but glad I did to see these submissions, Emma.

Both are stunning but the butterfly pips it. Colours are just beautiful. Well done.

O Wow Emma - that shot for Serene is just lovely; the beautiful soft blue tones and use of DoF sets off that butterfly perfectly.

Two lovely shots. I think the beach one says Serene a bit better for me and I like the mix of soft colours in it, also the contrast of the warms colours of the sun/sky to the blues in the sea.

The butterfly is a beautiful shot as well, love the deep rich blues against the background and such great detail on the butterfly.

You are very good at your butterfly shots, nice sunrise shot too

Azure is super soft colour and nicely framed.

Emma, your butterfly image is staggeringly pretty.
Amazing detail.

Your beach image screams whispers serene though.....Has to be my favourite. :)

The beach shot for me Emma, great blues with a nice hint of red/purple.

Gorgeously pretty butterfly Emma, and a beautiful sunrise too .....love the soft dreamy colour on that one.

WoW its the butterfly for me, wonderful colour and soooooo fury, the composition is spot on and that background is wonderful :clap:

These shots are beautiful, the sea is stuff so soft and lovely. Its really dreamy.

I've really been struggling to get on here lately but glad I did to see these submissions, Emma.

Both are stunning but the butterfly pips it. Colours are just beautiful. Well done.

O Wow Emma - that shot for Serene is just lovely; the beautiful soft blue tones and use of DoF sets off that butterfly perfectly.

Thank you all so much for such encouraging comments this week. I've been feeling a bit less motivated than usual lately, so it's especially nice to get some positive feedback :)

Butterfly for me Emma, great composition, lovely colours, great DoF & nice and sharp :)

I must admit the beach scene is also very nice but the PoV on it makes my brain hurt :D
Thanks Chris. Is the the straight on view that's a problem? There were parasols very close to the waters edge in both directions so it was really difficult to get the more sweeping composition I might have liked. Some people just don't take the photographers into account...!

Thanks Chris. Is the the straight on view that's a problem?
Not sure TBH, it just looks "odd" to me. I'm sure its not though :D

Some people just don't take the photographers into account...!
I know, just how selfish can some people be eh?
:D

Tick tock tick tock...it can't be nearly Thursday already?! Definitely not sure about this one...the texture of the seeds was great so I thought it might make a good black and white subject, but I think the idea was better than the execution!

seedssmall.jpg

Serene - both beautiful shots! Lovely sharpness on the butterfly, lovely tones on the beach shot. It really only comes down to theme - and for me, that's number 2! Great shots though, both worthy submissions! (y)

B&W - I'd be tempted to make it square crop and loose the tree at the bottom, the seed head is nicely done with good details showing up well against the sky.

I agree with Chris that a square crop might look better, and the upper left branch looks (on my screen) slightly OOF. But otherwise really nice textures and great contrast against the sky.

I like the POV and detail, but I'm not generally much a B&W connoisseur and imo this is not the right subject for a conversion.

I think that is a well-chosen subject for the theme and a lovely shot. Beautifully subtle light & dark shades and excellent detail retained in those seeds.

Serene - both beautiful shots! Lovely sharpness on the butterfly, lovely tones on the beach shot. It really only comes down to theme - and for me, that's number 2! Great shots though, both worthy submissions! (y)
Thanks very much Matt :)

B&W - I'd be tempted to make it square crop and loose the tree at the bottom, the seed head is nicely done with good details showing up well against the sky.

I agree with Chris that a square crop might look better, and the upper left branch looks (on my screen) slightly OOF. But otherwise really nice textures and great contrast against the sky.

Love the beach shot for Serene. Lovely colour and the reflection with just the right amount of water movement.Lovely subject for the Black and White shot but the bottom background spoils it slightly.
I did do a square crop and almost posted it alongside the other, but thought the tree balanced the shot. Maybe not! I'll post the square one, too :)

I like the POV and detail, but I'm not generally much a B&W connoisseur and imo this is not the right subject for a conversion.
I wasn't too sure either David. When I've done conversions before it's been as a result of looking at a finished shot and feeling b&w would serve it better. I found it really hard to choose a subject especially for monochrome...although I can really appreciate other people's work i think I just love colour too much! Maybe one for a reshoot with more thought put in.

I think that is a well-chosen subject for the theme and a lovely shot. Beautifully subtle light & dark shades and excellent detail retained in those seeds.
Thanks Carl - it was the texture of the seeds and light that made me think it might work...but I'm not really convinced!

Last edited:
I just had a catch up on your project Emma, you have some very nice images, that 'Azure' image (butterfly) is beautiful, loving the details and the colour!

Sorry very behind on comments

Lone - very poignant I like the symmetry of the second but I like the first one too.
Fauna - excellent capture great Dof and I love the delicate colours
Static - sorry the painting does nothing for me but the church lovely colours against that sky
Game - That looks like a fun day at the beach lovely shot.
Serene - wow another fantastic Butterfly shot I love it great detail and Dof I like the sunset too.
Black and White - lovely detail I like the original but agree the crop is better.

Nice point of view and the crop works well too Emma.

Back