weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Hi Emma. I sympathise - I suffer withdrawal symptoms when away from my camera for too long. This is a lovely image for Flora - beautiful colours and DoF. :clap:

Nice use of DoF Emma, it works well IMO :)

Very well done with the bee, I always find the move too fast for me to get sharp focus.

The signs are lovely, a definite boy/girl thing going on there.

The little flower is spot on, good details, nice DoF.

I hope work settles down for you and you get some more camera time

Love the bedroom door signs, for the family album most definitely, but photowise not a patch on your macro work. (y)

Hi Emma. I sympathise - I suffer withdrawal symptoms when away from my camera for too long. This is a lovely image for Flora - beautiful colours and DoF. :clap:
Thanks Carl. I'm definitely looking forward to this weekend! :)

Beautiful Emma ...I love the DOF ....perfect for the theme.
Thank you Susie.

Nice use of DoF Emma, it works well IMO :)
Thanks Cobra :)

That's a perfect crop Em, and that great background really sets off the petals nicely, love the colours, a very pleasing photo (y)
Thank you very much DK - enjoy your trip :)

Very well done with the bee, I always find the move too fast for me to get sharp focus.

The signs are lovely, a definite boy/girl thing going on there.

The little flower is spot on, good details, nice DoF.

I hope work settles down for you and you get some more camera time
Thanks - Chris. I had a lot of duff bee shots for sure! Looking forward to some family/camera time this weekend. :)

Love the bedroom door signs, for the family album most definitely, but photowise not a patch on your macro work. (y)
Agreed - definitely a grab shot - and thanks for the comment on the macro work :)

Lovely DoF Emma lovely colours nice and simple
Thank you Mark.

Emma, I like the simplicity of this, the symmetry, purple against the green OOF background, don't know but I might of tried a crop to take out the bud on the right ?

I'm massively behind on comments - sorry!
Flora - Lovely shot Emma, sharp where it needs to be and the shallow dof works really well. I can certainly sympathise with the not getting out with your camera - seems like it's been weeks since I've had any spare time with mine too! You've certainly made the best of your 20mins here though - lovely shot! :)

Emma, I like the simplicity of this, the symmetry, purple against the green OOF background, don't know but I might of tried a crop to take out the bud on the right ?
Thanks Chris - I guess a squarish crop might work with this, too.

I'm massively behind on comments - sorry!
Flora - Lovely shot Emma, sharp where it needs to be and the shallow dof works really well. I can certainly sympathise with the not getting out with your camera - seems like it's been weeks since I've had any spare time with mine too! You've certainly made the best of your 20mins here though - lovely shot! :)
Thanks Matt :)

Hi Emma, think everyone's covered the great points on your Flora shot and I agree with them all :), well done great capture.
That's very kind Nigel - thank you.

Excellent DoF the flower really stands out very nice indeed
Thanks Allan.

Nice shot for flora, the BG really makes flower stand out:)
Thank you Walter.

Well...I had plans for a shoehorn based on the many active insects I have photographed this weekend. Then I was going to photograph some industrial action with striking teachers out and about in Worthing today, but didn't capture anything worthwhile. I was then railroaded by William who really couldn't understand why I would want to photograph anything except this - an action shot of him being active doing his favourite activity. And why not?! I'm a bit upset that I cut his toes off, but these karate kids move faster than you'd think!

Edit - seems to look very soft on here, but a bit sharper on flickr

karate kid by Em Jay, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks active enough to me, the whites are nicely controlled with lots of detail. nice photo

Nicely on theme Emma, William certainly seems to be very much into his activity.

Hi Emma

Flora... what a lovely macro shot. Lighting is good for the image, your choice of area in focus is spot on with that bud just coming into focus and obviously the soft green background is spot on. Nicely done (y) with great comp too...

Action... great shot! You've self-critted it yourself, but the expression, timing of capture, focus etc. and exposure all spot on. Get him into the studio and get some lights set up for a dramatic series of shots!!

Brilliant image Emma William looks like he's enjoying himself
Thanks Mark.

Hi Emma

Flora... what a lovely macro shot. Lighting is good for the image, your choice of area in focus is spot on with that bud just coming into focus and obviously the soft green background is spot on. Nicely done (y) with great comp too...

Action... great shot! You've self-critted it yourself, but the expression, timing of capture, focus etc. and exposure all spot on. Get him into the studio and get some lights set up for a dramatic series of shots!!
Thanks for the encouraging feedback Paul...lights? Studio? Don't set me off down that expensive path!!

Activity, well exposed and nice colours.

Needs to keep his guard up, though ;)

Cheers
Lol - that's what he kept telling me Andy and I insisted I needed to see his face. I knew you'd spot that! :)

Nicely taken Emma - love the movement and that awesome expression. :clap:

Hi Emma,
Sign(s) - Two lovely images that will bring back memories in years to come.
Flora - Good contrast of the colours and the shallow DoF works really well. Composition works well too, with the flower on the 1/3rd line, but the other parts of the flower balancing it out.
Active - Yes, he certainly is :) Good work getting the focus on his face and not the closer foot.

I like your "active" shot, nicely captured, and it looks sharp to me (apart from the front foot of course)

simple - what a great shot fascinating detail
signs - two very personal sets of signs brilliant
Flora - Great use of DoF
Activity - Great shot nice and sharp on face

Well William was right ....it is perfect for the theme :) really nicely caught Emma, plenty of action there.

Nicely taken Emma - love the movement and that awesome expression. :clap:

Hi Emma,
Sign(s) - Two lovely images that will bring back memories in years to come.
Flora - Good contrast of the colours and the shallow DoF works really well. Composition works well too, with the flower on the 1/3rd line, but the other parts of the flower balancing it out.
Active - Yes, he certainly is :) Good work getting the focus on his face and not the closer foot.

I like your "active" shot, nicely captured, and it looks sharp to me (apart from the front foot of course)

Well done very active, as said shame about the foot.

simple - what a great shot fascinating detail
signs - two very personal sets of signs brilliant
Flora - Great use of DoF
Activity - Great shot nice and sharp on face

Nice capture Emma, a great expression caught there :)

Love the expression on his face Emma. It can't have been easy to catch at that speed, and it screams Active (y)

Yes, you certainly caught the moment.
Thank you so much for your kind words everyone...I will definitely try and keep an eye on the extremities next time!

They are such beautifully delicate flowers, I like them too Emma. Lovely detail in the first but I prefer the second with those fine hairs along it's stem and natural setting. :clap:

Back