Em's 52 for 2017 - You added

Hi Emma.
Having read the reports our kids get, I'm not certain that they aren't generated using a template and something like mail merge ;)
Works really well for the theme. Is there a child somewhere wonder what the excellent progress they've made in Maths is, as you only put that phrase in to allow you to keep up this week? ;)
Anyway. Good use of shallow DoF to concentrate the eye and I like the blue feel to the shot.

It's good to try different things whilst it's also good have your own style/identity. And you are certainly good with those outdoor macros. :)

"Excellent Progress ... " ... bet you're pleased. Nice idea for the theme.
Of course you're right David - I do like to try out new stuff, but at this time of year I'm happiest with what I can capture enjoying our local countryside. It seems a waste to spend photography time on anything else! The report was one I wrote rather than received last year...my son is still pondering his fate...:eek: ;)

dof works a treat for highlighting progress, I like it.
Thanks Michael :)

Great idea, nicely composed and super shallow DoF works a treat!
Cheers Bernd!

I like the way you managed to get the word progress into the shot as well! Nice angle and DOF and a good clean image. Maybe you could have lost the bit of desk at the top and just filled the shot with the reports.
That's a nice idea Steve - I'm not very good at thinking of filling the frame, but it can be so effective. (y)

your minimal shots are great, first using the fence to isolate, or frame the flower (y)

as much as i shun using just words for the theme, i've done it so i cannt talk..good use of DOF, now if you had made the document up as a bio about yourself and your project, i'd have forgiven you in an instance, just stand at the back of the class til thursday please..
It was pure laziness/running out of time I admit it...but I'm pressed enough writing about the kids without starting on myself at the moment!! It's a gret idea though. I must not be so lazy. I must not be so lazy. I must not be so lazy. I must not be so lazy. I must not be so lazy....:D
An interesting image Em, nice tones and a cool DoF picking out the wording... good to be busy :)
Thanks Dean - I'm certainly that!

Hi Emma.
Having read the reports our kids get, I'm not certain that they aren't generated using a template and something like mail merge ;)
Works really well for the theme. Is there a child somewhere wonder what the excellent progress they've made in Maths is, as you only put that phrase in to allow you to keep up this week? ;)
Anyway. Good use of shallow DoF to concentrate the eye and I like the blue feel to the shot.
Mail merge?! :bat:
Sadly no...mine just generate about 45 hours work on top of the usual this month...but when they're done :banana::beer::sleep: !!
See? I'm resorting to emoji overload just for kicks...:D Thanks for the feedback Tim!

Reactions: LC2
So after after last week's rushed shot I'm resorting to a shoehorn. This is one I managed to grab in 20 minutes or so on Sunday for a flickr macro challenge I sometimes do if the theme seems good. I've never tried to set up droplet shots and it amazed me that this massive drop stayed put for 10 minutes while I faffed about with lights (one to backlight the flower and another to create the starburst on the droplet). The result was a lot of luck, but it was completely different to anything else I've done and I did like the result. Photography is so pleasurable..especially when things go right!!

'star of the show' for macro mondays 'drips, drops and splashes' by Emma Varley, on Flickr

Way to go Emma, that's a really good image. :clap:
Being me, I might have crushed the blacks a bit to give it more punch, but that's just a subjective stylistic choice.
Are you printing it for your wall?

It was pure laziness/running out of time I admit it...but I'm pressed enough writing about the kids without starting on myself at the moment!! It's a gret idea though. I must not be so lazy. I must not be so lazy. I must not be so lazy. I must not be so lazy. I must not be so lazy....:D
!

5 times.... u wrote it out (copy and paste more like) ... 5 times??? light weight..

Way to go Emma, that's a really good image. :clap:
Being me, I might have crushed the blacks a bit to give it more punch, but that's just a subjective stylistic choice.
Are you printing it for your wall?
Thank you! The blacks was definitely a choice - I wanted it to feel a bit dreamy and hazy, like light spilling off a spotlight on stage. I so haven't got my head around this printing thing yet - I need some suggestions for place to go. I do worry my monitor isn't up to getting things ready for print.

Well lit and and a nice burst of light in the droplet, very well done and a pleasant image for the theme.

I so haven't got my head around this printing thing yet - I need some suggestions for place to go. I do worry my monitor isn't up to getting things ready for print.
Well, you can always use a colour printer for quick prints.
I've used this lot (http://dscolourlabs.co.uk/) which aren't too expensive and have come out okay. My monitor isn't calibrated either.

wether its on theme or not a really nice image I love the light thats hitting the BG, it might have been luck but a striking image :clap:

Stunning photo, nothing to criticise!

Photography is so pleasurable..especially when things go right!!

certainly looks like something went right !! :clap:

That really is quite incredible, beautiful too. At first I thought it was a black card BG with a small hole but TBH I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Fab Em, really very very nice.
The only thing I might have done differently would be to have the daisy stalk coming straight out of the left hand bottom corner, other than that I love it.

Nice one for progress, great different take on the theme. Daisy with the droplet is beautiful, love the lighting :)

Well lit and and a nice burst of light in the droplet, very well done and a pleasant image for the theme.

Pleasure, well it is a pleasure to look at as this is a great shot imo. I like the star effects and lighting and the dark BG also helps to show off the flower (y)(y)

wether its on theme or not a really nice image I love the light thats hitting the BG, it might have been luck but a striking image :clap:

Beautiful, just perfect to me.:clap:

Stunning photo, nothing to criticise!

Lovely shot and nicecsparjle ing the drop.

That's a lovely shot, excellently lit and well thought out. Can't agree more with the pleasure we get when the shots turn out the way we've planned.

Nice one for progress, great different take on the theme. Daisy with the droplet is beautiful, love the lighting :)
Thanks so much for the lovely words everyone - much appreciated!

Photography is so pleasurable..especially when things go right!!

certainly looks like something went right !! :clap:

That really is quite incredible, beautiful too. At first I thought it was a black card BG with a small hole but TBH I'm not sure what I'm looking at.
Thanks so much David - glad you like it. It was shot in a light tent with a black velvet background. There was a light front right and another back left, diffused through the tent sides. The front light was close enough to give a bright spot on the droplet and a crazy aperture of f/32 created the giant starburst (and the lower burst which was coming off the glass vase the daisy was in)

I spent a bit of time faffing this evening trying to do some tiny flowers in a thimble to give some comparison of size, but couldn't get the lighting right before the flowers wilted. So here are a couple of shots from the weekend - the amber bead and the body of the spider were each about 1cm or so across...so I guess they qualify!

Week 25 'tiny' by Em's TP 52 2017, on Flickr

Week 25 'tiny' by Em's TP 52 2017, on Flickr

Last edited:
shame the thimble idea didn't work out ... but two great shots here Emja ... I loving the spider, all so delicate. (y)

Last edited:
Two great shots, but I prefer the spider. Great detail and great light!

Thimble shot idea is great Em, keep trying that one as I think it has legs.....
Youve been outputting some great stuff on Flickr of late, its a shame its not always valid for here......

shame the thimble idea didn't work out ... but two great shots here Emja ... I loving the spider, all so delicate. (y)

Would of liked to see the thimble shot, like both shots for tiny Emma, have to go with the #1 as love the lighting and focus plus a nice BG too :)

Thank you both...the thimble is maybe one for a reshoot :)

It's well captured, bit of a shame some of the face is lost behind the stalk but I've spent a bit of time photographing these and know how hard it can be.

Love the colours in the amber bead, all warm and lovely. Good one for face too, love the colours on the damselfly. They just look like some kind of alien to me :D

Lovely Em, Ive been trying a few of these critters and they are harder than they look.....

Back