Em's 52 for 2017 - You added

Don't suppose you fancy nipping round and doing mine?

Nicely composed, the garden table works well as a background.

Nicely done and well arranged (composed, if I want to sound like I know what I'm talking about :)).

Can't beat a good pair of DMs. Somehow I'd picture you with the burgundy ones though, not black.
THey do look clean and shiny.

Strangely, thats exactly what I thought too......

Hi Emma, a wee catch-up from me as I've missed a few.

I do like both images for Piece, but #1 is my pick because of the serious expressions and body language, and especially the concentration on the younger face. It's a real story-telling picture and one that I'm sure will be shown to them in years to come :)

Contrast is quite lovely with the unusual purply colour in the smooth background, setting off the sharp details and bright tones of the butterfly, and your Reshoot for Attractive is sooooooo cute! What lovely eyes!

Clean - as others have already said, simple is sometimes best and this works very well, with the shiny smooth black leather set against the natural colours of the background. The brush and tin are placed just right to suggest a job just finished (y)

Can't beat a good pair of DMs. Somehow I'd picture you with the burgundy ones though, not black.
THey do look clean and shiny.

Strangely, thats exactly what I thought too......
Lol...these are actually my daughters - lucky girl getting a free clean out of the theme ;). I've had black in the past, but my current ones are a slightly odd shade of browny purple...so now you know!

Hi Emma, a wee catch-up from me as I've missed a few.

I do like both images for Piece, but #1 is my pick because of the serious expressions and body language, and especially the concentration on the younger face. It's a real story-telling picture and one that I'm sure will be shown to them in years to come :)

Contrast is quite lovely with the unusual purply colour in the smooth background, setting off the sharp details and bright tones of the butterfly, and your Reshoot for Attractive is sooooooo cute! What lovely eyes!

Clean - as others have already said, simple is sometimes best and this works very well, with the shiny smooth black leather set against the natural colours of the background. The brush and tin are placed just right to suggest a job just finished (y)
Thank you so much for your kind words Andrea - that's a lovely catch up :)

I was originally going to post a shot of the wonderful curves of Concorde's wings that I took for the theme at Brookland's museum on my son's birthday this week, but I messed up the dof a bit. So this is one I shot for a macro theme on Flickr and since it's full of curves...here it is. If you're wondering, it's the eye of a chameleon ornament that my daughter gave me many years ago. A bit odd, but there you go :whistle:

Eye wonder... For Macro Mondays 'abstract' by Emma Varley, on Flickr

Last edited:
Plenty of curves in this shot Emma, and a good name for it too. Great lighting and the red really makes it nicer :) You might have a bit of dust too.
On the ornament? I know...the eye is only about 12mm across so everything shows up. I cloned the worst of it out but should have learnt by now to give everything a good wash before taking macro shots...a quick dust obviously wasn't enough!! :rolleyes:

On the ornament? I know...the eye is only about 12mm across so everything shows up. I cloned the worst of it out but should have learnt by now to give everything a good wash before taking macro shots...a quick dust obviously wasn't enough!! :rolleyes:

On the green cable of the wire, still a great shot though :)

DMs I've had a few pairs ... preferring the cherry red! Neat idea, out in the garden with oof BG. (y)

Curves ... gorgeous bokeh. (y)

Intriguing image for curves, I don't mind the bokeh at all, it adds more curves, good focus and nice tones.

I'd never have guessed (though once you say it, I can see it).
I was seeing a sweet, some curled up telephone cable and a pile of marbles.

Very nicely done. I like the capture of the subject contrasting against the lovely bokeh in the background.

Interesting take on the theme. Love the pastel colours and the bokeh.

Bokeh rocks !, love it......

Odd indeed, and nice bokeh :)

Cheers.

Love a macro shot with lots of nice bokeh. The blue background sets off the greens very well.

Intriguing image for curves, I don't mind the bokeh at all, it adds more curves, good focus and nice tones.
Thank you all - I'm glad you like the bokeh...it's an old sparkly dress. Very useful!

Hi Emma ...it's always a pleasure to hop into your thread, it's never disappointing.
Love the shiny DM's for Clean., perfect composition, dof, everything spot on.
Reall interesting choice for Curve, I was mystified till I read the explanation, fabulous bokeh.
Occupation, a thoughtful choice I like it, having survived the summer hols with the grandkids you have my admiration:)

Nice colours, good DoF leading the eye to the pencil. Is that a hint of the sparkly dress again?

That lens certainly doesnt all short on the Bokeh front does it Em ? Assume its a Nikkor ?

Curves
A good abstract shot there, lots of curves, colours and textures. (y)

Back