Hertsmans 2018 52....Rural/Bright/Elegant/Derelict added

I thought Staright would be quite fun and was looking forward to it. Saturday I vivisted a location about 15 miles from me that my memory said would be perfect - that turned into a total waste of time and fuel....
Today, it was raining (AGAIN!!!! aaagghhhhh...) so became more limited on ideas once agin this year....
I had straight flush in my miind and checked the thread earlier to find Id missed the boat as its already been done....
Tried some Straight down the barrel gun pics but they didnt work very well...

So, this at least, IS straight and level......

Straight (1 of 1) by Mark P, on Flickr

I agree with @rpn no need to change your mind go with what you think, as for the one you put in fits the theme so job done

Excellent idea, Mark, and nicely executed. As others have already said, don't feel you have to think of something else if someone has already done it - we all approach and present things differently even if it is the same subject - but as it happens your second or third idea is a strong one and the colours really grab the eye. Simple and very effective :clap:

you should have saved that for next week's' Level theme. :exit:

Nah that works just fine for this week! (y)

Mark

Straight it is, but level is a bit out, left hand edge is a bit up according to the bubble, did you use the correct bubble for the shot? I can never remember which to use.:)

Oval, colour looks a bit better this time.

Pete

Straight
Good idea for the theme, not something I would have thought of.

Hi Mark, Catching up again! :rolleyes:

Heavy - This did make me chuckle, great idea after the horrible weather
Wet - Beautiful rose, pin sharp and love the water spots. Nice colour too
Juxtaposition - Spot on for the theme. Lovely complementary colours and great textures in the leaves
Oval - Very nice timepiece but what an awful colour for a display! I think you did well with the colour in the first image but better with the close up in the second. Maybe combine the two lol
Straight - Nice simple shot. Works for me, I like the bit of a reflection on the table too

:D

Straight is right on theme has a pleasing symmetry and just about the right DoF!
And I like the new oval much better!

Simple, on theme and nicely lit

Thanks Chris
Spot on theme, Mark. No need to discount your idea because someone else took something similar, it's always interesting to see different takes and versions of the same subject.
I know, but I always strive to come up witht something original.....

On theme for straight, nice one.
Thanks Dave

I agree with @rpn no need to change your mind go with what you think, as for the one you put in fits the theme so job done
Thanks Allan

Excellent idea, Mark, and nicely executed. As others have already said, don't feel you have to think of something else if someone has already done it - we all approach and present things differently even if it is the same subject - but as it happens your second or third idea is a strong one and the colours really grab the eye. Simple and very effective :clap:
Thank you Andrea

you should have saved that for next week's' Level theme. :exit:

Nah that works just fine for this week! (y)
Lol, Ta !

Mark

Straight it is, but level is a bit out, left hand edge is a bit up according to the bubble, did you use the correct bubble for the shot? I can never remember which to use.:)

Oval, colour looks a bit better this time.

Pete
Cheers !

Annoying when things don’t work out isn’t it, but I think you ended up with a good choice Mark, the red’s very eye catching.
Good to see the original of the clock, that’s definitely not an easy colour to work with, you did well.
Thank you Susie.....

Straight
Good idea for the theme, not something I would have thought of.
The joy of the 52.....

Straight. Its a cool shot. Not something I had even considered.
Great stuff.....

Straight - simple and does what it says on the tin, box ticked time to move on to the next theme.

Hi Mark, Catching up again! :rolleyes:

Heavy - This did make me chuckle, great idea after the horrible weather
Wet - Beautiful rose, pin sharp and love the water spots. Nice colour too
Juxtaposition - Spot on for the theme. Lovely complementary colours and great textures in the leaves
Oval - Very nice timepiece but what an awful colour for a display! I think you did well with the colour in the first image but better with the close up in the second. Maybe combine the two lol
Straight - Nice simple shot. Works for me, I like the bit of a reflection on the table too

:D
Thanks Georgina

Nice idea you have caught the faded colour of the dead flowers really well, nice and sharp where it needs to be

Hello Mark

Straight: Have something similar for Straight theme after my first idea didn't work out, like the level idea and think its a great take.
Oval: Much prefer the 2# take, the colours give it an old fashion look which it is, captured very well.
Unattractive: A hard theme this week but that's a great idea and agree with the faded colour gives it.

Walter

Straight - Nice simple image nice use of what I assume is natural light.

Unattractive - Nicely set up and captured the colours work really well.

I love that photo, great colours, well composed (y) The only thing that lets it slightly down is the table the vase with the wilted flowers is standing on...

I really like it and TBH don't find it that unattractive but it is well done and a good take on the theme.

Those flowers are ace!

Very nicely done ... fading beauty. The unattractive element being the vase.

Hi Mark,

Straight - I would echo the comments around not worrying if your idea has already been posted, your final image will be different. The shot you've settled on it simple and to the point and well executed :)

Oval(2) - You know what, I prefer the edited image. That's some weird lighting / colours going on in the true to life version.

Unattractive - As still lifes go, it works well. Great detail and it certainly captures the mood of an abandoned floral display. You can almost see an old master painting it. :clap:

Nice idea you have caught the faded colour of the dead flowers really well, nice and sharp where it needs to be
Thank you Allan

Hello Mark

Straight: Have something similar for Straight theme after my first idea didn't work out, like the level idea and think its a great take.
Oval: Much prefer the 2# take, the colours give it an old fashion look which it is, captured very well.
Unattractive: A hard theme this week but that's a great idea and agree with the faded colour gives it.

Walter
(y)

Straight - Nice simple image nice use of what I assume is natural light.

Unattractive - Nicely set up and captured the colours work really well.
Thanks Mark, and yep, natural light for both

I love that photo, great colours, well composed (y) The only thing that lets it slightly down is the table the vase with the wilted flowers is standing on...
Thanks B, I love that table.....

I really like it and TBH don't find it that unattractive but it is well done and a good take on the theme.
Cheers Chris, I do get what you mean tho....

Those flowers are ace!
Glad you like, cheers

Best one for the theme so far, a cracking shot and yes unattractive indeed. As Allan says sharp where it needs to be.
Thanks DAVE

Very nicely done ... fading beauty. The unattractive element being the vase.
Indeed

Sometimes dead flowers do have a fragile beauty about them, but they do fit the theme, very nicely done.
Thanks Susie

That's a good one for Unattractive, Mark. You've captured the dry tones and lack of life really well, and the muted background complements the flowers' tones well (y)
Im quietly pleased with it tbh Andrea, so thank you

Hi Mark,

Straight - I would echo the comments around not worrying if your idea has already been posted, your final image will be different. The shot you've settled on it simple and to the point and well executed :)

Oval(2) - You know what, I prefer the edited image. That's some weird lighting / colours going on in the true to life version.

Unattractive - As still lifes go, it works well. Great detail and it certainly captures the mood of an abandoned floral display. You can almost see an old master painting it. :clap:
Thanks Tim!

This was my initial thought for the theme, but do you have any idea how hard it can be find one of these ?
Drove miles today until I foind this one in an old Churchyard......

Shadow.....

Shadow (1 of 1) by Mark P, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well done for finding it I remember looking a couple of years ago when the subject was “time” I think, a fruitless search indeed,
Good idea for theme

It's a really good idea for the theme, I can imagine how hard it was to find one, but worth the effort I'd say, fills the frame well, good dark shadow

Great find for the theme! It seems nobody has turned the sundial anti-clockwise when BST started...

Nice shot for shadow Mark, well spotted

Shadow
Looks to be about 1:20pm. Good choice for the theme, something that doesn't work without a shadow.

Back