Hertsmans 2018 52....Rural/Bright/Elegant/Derelict added

Straight - good idea, nice bit of reflection too.
Oval - I like the colour tones of this image
Unattractive - they are indeed a sorry sight now, I am sure they looked good once. The wall colour works well behind the flowers.
Shadow - nice find for the theme and a good clear shot

Well done for finding it I remember looking a couple of years ago when the subject was “time” I think, a fruitless search indeed,
Good idea for theme
Thanks Allan
This is the first dial we've had for the theme, quite surprising really. Nicely captured, appropriate crop, a shoe-in for the theme and captured without including your own shadow :) (y)
Cheers Tim

It's a really good idea for the theme, I can imagine how hard it was to find one, but worth the effort I'd say, fills the frame well, good dark shadow
Thabk you Chris

Great find for the theme! It seems nobody has turned the sundial anti-clockwise when BST started...
Lol, I did think similar tbh....

Unattractive. - Nice shot and great for the theme but not sure about the background and wonder if a lower shot or a drape would enhance it o_O
Buy me a bigger house then..... ;)

The ultimate interpretation of the shadow theme. (y)
Thank you D, was kind of my thinking tbf

Nice shot for shadow Mark, well spotted
(y)

Shadow
Looks to be about 1:20pm. Good choice for the theme, something that doesn't work without a shadow.
Pretty much, except sundials dont do BST.... ;)

Perfect choice for the theme Mark, and well done with making all that effort to find one.
Thank you Susie

Nice shot for shadow. Spot on Theme. Nice one.
(y)

Straight - good idea, nice bit of reflection too.
Oval - I like the colour tones of this image
Unattractive - they are indeed a sorry sight now, I am sure they looked good once. The wall colour works well behind the flowers.
Shadow - nice find for the theme and a good clear shot
Thanks Andrea, Unattractive is a shot IM happy with

Shadow - Good Idea for the theme nice details
(y)

Beautifull....

This shot was in my head as soon as I saw the theme, but needed time and the weather to get it. Not convinced its as good as it can be now, looks a little over sharpened on Flickr, but its really not....

Beautifullxx (1 of 1) by Mark P, on Flickr

Have a free bonus Beautifull, just because I love the strong natural colours...I know its well chocolate boxy, but hey, its my camera right ?

Beautifull3 (1 of 1) by Mark P, on Flickr

Low...

Silly busy bank holiday that didnt provide what I hoped for subject wise, so have a PABD for low....

Low (1 of 1) by Mark P, on Flickr

Last edited:
Both beautifuls and Low are fab pix for me!

Mark

I'm catching up here.

Unattractive, a great image of a bunch of old flowers, which I like, the colours are good and strong, only improvement I can think of would be a different vase so you could'nt see the green unattractive water.
Shadow, well done for finding that Sundial, I like some of the detail, but the concrete around is a bit uninspiring.
Beautiful, Nice wood full of Bluebells, not the easiest thing to photograph, so well done, the flowers on the tree stand out well and is a nice bold image.
Low, very and looks recenty cut by some of the stems there.

Pete

Lovely bluebell photo, I like the view down through the trees.
I think low could benefit from brightness/saturation tweaks but a good idea for the theme I think

I agree with Chris above the bluebell shot is great, minor harsh point crop a little off the bottom maybe

And a boost of the levels in the daisy shot would work really well

Hi Mark,

Beautiful - Love the bluebells shot. No need to crop off the top (Stan) or clone out the branch on the left IMO.
The way you've used the trees to focus the eye is really clever and well spotted.

Low - It certainly is shot from low down. Masses of background blur, the main daisy is in focus, but afraid this one doesn't grab me.

Hi Mark, both images for Beautiful are colourful and meet the theme perfectly, but I think the contrasting greens and purples in the first one just edge it for me.
Low is again ideal for the theme with that low and close-up viewpoint, and I like the dreamy soft focus feel from the very narrow DOF. I'm assuming you've deliberately opted for this overall dreamy look rather than boosting saturation etc and I like it (y)

Love the bluebells, amazing greens and contrasting blues.

:agree: with @Manxmaid about Low, I wouldn't mess with it. It a cracker. :clap:

beautiful - I prefer the first photo! I like the light leaking through the canopy and the bright patches on the ground!
low - nice PoV, good DoF, but couldn't you have picked a nicer daisy?

Both beautifuls and Low are fab pix for me!
Thank you Dave

Mark

I'm catching up here.

Unattractive, a great image of a bunch of old flowers, which I like, the colours are good and strong, only improvement I can think of would be a different vase so you could'nt see the green unattractive water.
Shadow, well done for finding that Sundial, I like some of the detail, but the concrete around is a bit uninspiring.
Beautiful, Nice wood full of Bluebells, not the easiest thing to photograph, so well done, the flowers on the tree stand out well and is a nice bold image.
Low, very and looks recenty cut by some of the stems there.

Pete
Cheers Pete - the vase ADDS to the theme - no ?

Beautiful is nicely on theme for the bluebells. Low yes it could be a pabd, but maybe taken lower but still box ticked.
How do I get lower than lying on my stomach ?

Lovely bluebell photo, I like the view down through the trees.
I think low could benefit from brightness/saturation tweaks but a good idea for the theme I think
Thanks Chris, intentional soft pp

I agree with Chris above the bluebell shot is great, minor harsh point crop a little off the bottom maybe

And a boost of the levels in the daisy shot would work really well
Cheers Allan, deliberatedly kept pp soft on the Low

A beautiful Bluebells shot. You're not convinced! How about cropping a bit off the top?

Another lovely shot for Low. Spot on focus and good use of shallow depth of field.
Thanks Stan, I guess we are our own worst crits lol

Hi Mark,

Beautiful - Love the bluebells shot. No need to crop off the top (Stan) or clone out the branch on the left IMO.
The way you've used the trees to focus the eye is really clever and well spotted.

Low - It certainly is shot from low down. Masses of background blur, the main daisy is in focus, but afraid this one doesn't grab me.
Thanks Tim.Low I knew would be a marmite shot

Hi Mark, both images for Beautiful are colourful and meet the theme perfectly, but I think the contrasting greens and purples in the first one just edge it for me.
Low is again ideal for the theme with that low and close-up viewpoint, and I like the dreamy soft focus feel from the very narrow DOF. I'm assuming you've deliberately opted for this overall dreamy look rather than boosting saturation etc and I like it (y)

Bing! A satisfied viewer for Low....yep. dreamy was exactly my aim, thanks for seeing it.....

Love the bluebells, amazing greens and contrasting blues.

:agree: with @Manxmaid about Low, I wouldn't mess with it. It a cracker. :clap:

Thank you D, appreciated

Yep, that goes for me too ...Low is perfect as it is, l love the soft focus to it.

Your Beautiful shots definitely live up to their name ... two real eye catchers there.

And thank yuo too Susie

Nice shot for low. Well focused and good dof.
Cheers Ross

beautiful - I prefer the first photo! I like the light leaking through the canopy and the bright patches on the ground!
low - nice PoV, good DoF, but couldn't you have picked a nicer daisy?
Lol about the daisy quality - the idea only came to me two days AFTER mowing the lawn lol......

....moving on to Match....
Hmm, few obvious ideas, but thats not me. Bit of googling gave me some ideas, one of which was this.....

...a MATCH made in heaven for me......

Peanut butter and Bramble Jelly triple decker sarnie....nom nom nom......

Match (1 of 1) by Mark P, on Flickr

Not entirely sure it goes so well taste wise :exit:but photo itself is nice to the eye. In fact so nice I will give this combination a go.... at some point :)

I'm sure it's right on theme taste-wise! It's the photo I'm not sure about. I like the lower half, the slices of bread, the knife, the board and the table, all tone in tone and really nice textures. But then the upper half spoils it for me, I think it's a bit busy.

I'm sure it's right on theme taste-wise! It's the photo I'm not sure about. I like the lower half, the slices of bread, the knife, the board and the table, all tone in tone and really nice textures. But then the upper half spoils it for me, I think it's a bit busy.

I know that feeling!!!

Yeah, its a PABD really if Im honest.......:)

I'm glad I 'got' the dreamy feel you were aiming for with your image for Low, Mark :banana:

This is an unusual take on the theme for Match and I like the idea very much. Bernd makes a good point about the top and bottom halves of the image, as the tones and textures of the board and worktop are complementary to the jars and knife, but the red box in the top right does draw the eye a bit. Nonetheless, a smart idea for the theme and a good choice (y)

Unattractive - image doesn't look straight to me, but it works for the theme and the focus is where it needs to be.
Shadow - I like this i had thought of doing something like this for the theme but I wasn't sure on where to find a sundial in my local area. So well done for all that driving to find one, good strong image and fits the theme.
Beautiful - two stunning images for the theme, But my fav is the Bluebell woodland as theres been a few blossom shots for the theme and i love how the light is coming in from through the trees.
Low - does what it says on the tin so to speak and its sharp where it needs to be.
Match - not to sure on the chosen combination, i do feel that maybe the image was hurried. I think there could be a much better composition to be had out of the subject.

Er yuck! (The contents of your sandwich that is).
The photo seems a bit cluttered, I think I would have liked to have seen the top of the jar in the shot, but can see that it would have introduced even more clutter. Sorry, not for me this week.

Match

It may be a match for you, but it's most certainly not for me :D. Your photo does work for the theme though, I think I would have moved the cable in the top left corner though.

Match yuk I'll take the jam bit peanut butter :puke: a nice thought for the theme though as others have said a little more time setting it up and it would have been a cleaner image.

Not entirely sure it goes so well taste wise :exit:but photo itself is nice to the eye. In fact so nice I will give this combination a go.... at some point :)

I'm glad I 'got' the dreamy feel you were aiming for with your image for Low, Mark :banana:

This is an unusual take on the theme for Match and I like the idea very much. Bernd makes a good point about the top and bottom halves of the image, as the tones and textures of the board and worktop are complementary to the jars and knife, but the red box in the top right does draw the eye a bit. Nonetheless, a smart idea for the theme and a good choice (y)

Match looks a yucky match, but you got it in for the theme even though it is a bit messy.

A little more care with setting it up would have paid off, good idea for the theme though

Unattractive - image doesn't look straight to me, but it works for the theme and the focus is where it needs to be.
Shadow - I like this i had thought of doing something like this for the theme but I wasn't sure on where to find a sundial in my local area. So well done for all that driving to find one, good strong image and fits the theme.
Beautiful - two stunning images for the theme, But my fav is the Bluebell woodland as theres been a few blossom shots for the theme and i love how the light is coming in from through the trees.
Low - does what it says on the tin so to speak and its sharp where it needs to be.
Match - not to sure on the chosen combination, i do feel that maybe the image was hurried. I think there could be a much better composition to be had out of the subject.

Er yuck! (The contents of your sandwich that is).
The photo seems a bit cluttered, I think I would have liked to have seen the top of the jar in the shot, but can see that it would have introduced even more clutter. Sorry, not for me this week.

Have to agree ...

Clever idea. Mine would be raspberry jam & marmite.

PB&J. a winning combo. Though maybe a tad cluttered in the background. Maybe removing the wires on the left and the big red thing on the right would have cleaned it up a bit.

Match

It may be a match for you, but it's most certainly not for me :D. Your photo does work for the theme though, I think I would have moved the cable in the top left corner though.

Plus 1 for me

Match yuk I'll take the jam bit peanut butter :puke: a nice thought for the theme though as others have said a little more time setting it up and it would have been a cleaner image.

Thanks to all those that commented, and I fully agree, the shot was very rushed - a lesson learnt there I think. I still like the idea tho, may try a reshoot one day.......

Bit of a shame about the ink bleed in hard but good and different idea for the theme
Good insect macro
Synthetic is really good for the theme, I like that a lot. having the rope as a background as well as the subject works really well, love the close-up and detail in the knot

Good catch up “Hard” is a good idea and well executed good OOF BG and a nice spot for “Synthetic”
“Music” have spent many an hour sat in front of bits of paper like that going over songs

Hi Mark,

Music - Both excellent songs, though you wouldn't have the left without the right. Which is easier to play?
The notation looks well used.

Hard - I like that :) The way it's drawn on really gives it the look of the kind of amateur tattooing that was done by school kids (and thugs I guess) using Indian ink and needles.
The composition, which the OOF hooded face is spot on.

Creature - Pass.

Synthetic - Are we back to Brentford Nylons again? ;)
A sharp shot, capturing the colours and texture of nylon rope well.

Pretty Vacant indeed ... Love all the doodles

Thug Life ... excellent idea .. love the totally OOF'd out face

Creature ... doesn't look right somehow, maybe it should be rotated 90 deg(?) and not sure about the lighting

Synthetic .... pick of the bunch ... frame full of blue plastic rope with the knot nicely focused and the rest pleasingly OOF'd

(y)

Last edited:
Mark

Music - Good overall focus and colour of what appears to be old paper, framing adds to the old and well used appearance.

Hard - front of fingers do not appear as sharp as I would expect, but the oof face in the background works for the image. B&W works.

Creature - close up ok, but orientation in the frame could do with some work.

Synthectic - best image of the 4, plenty of details and forground well in focus. Single blue colour works well.

Pete

Back