weekly KathG's 52 for 2017

Vivid #1 for me, I find the second shot a bit too busy. Great colours and reflections.

Hi Everyone, Thank you all for replying to my posts and your kind words and CC. At the moment I'm not getting out as much as I would like, so having this 52 week project to do keeps the old brain cells working. :) So I do appreciate it very much.

Love the multi coloured smoke, gives it a bit of something extra.
The cotton reels work great for vivid. Lovely bright colours and great reflections, thought at first it was just a lot piled up :D
Lots of lovely details in the feathers of the pigeon. As you say it's a shame about his/her tail :)

Hold - great idea, I know the feeling. The close crop adds to the sense of running out of space. Took me ages to relaise it was mono.
Smoke - Although I do like the addition of the colour I think I prefer the first.
Vivid - First shot for me, great colours and nice reflections.
Large - Great pigeon shot and I promise not to mention the tail!

I agree with Susie needs something for comparison, nice sharp pic of the pigeon though

Large - as others have said, really nice feather detail, something I've failed to capture in my attempted bird shots so well done.

Nice and sharp picture of a pigeon. I don't think it needs anything for comparison, it looks massive :)

Vivid - I prefer the more simple composition of the first shot, only slight critique with #1 is that the highlights seem a little too bright to me.

Large - nice sharp shot with lots of detail and a nice smooth background. I don't think it needs anything else for context as it looks large to me!

Last edited:

Sure, that is a Wood Pigeon!

Mid-tones tamed…would be perfect. :cool:

Once again thank you for your lovely comments. Very much appreciated.

Hi Kathleen,

Smoke - Both are great, but I agree with your choice of #2, because of the variety of colours in the smoke.
Vivid - Love the colours, reflections and strong black background. Nicely positioned. #1 for me.
Large - Large in the frame :) There would have been a way to hide the cropped tail, massively crop in, taking some of hte head and a fair bit of the body out. Even larger in the frame and an artistic choice.

Hi Kathleen,

Smoke - Both are great, but I agree with your choice of #2, because of the variety of colours in the smoke.
Vivid - Love the colours, reflections and strong black background. Nicely positioned. #1 for me.
Large - Large in the frame :) There would have been a way to hide the cropped tail, massively crop in, taking some of hte head and a fair bit of the body out. Even larger in the frame and an artistic choice.

Hi LC2 thank you for your kind comments and CC. It is good to get a different perspective as I did not think of cropping the pigeon to make her/he larger in the frame. A good idea.

Cheers
Kath

The bin bag under the bench on the left spoils the street scene a bit :) Very colourful and very nicely framed.

I like nature's architecture too, good detail.

Great dandelion shot, nice amount of detail. Well done.

PS I hadn't spotted the bin bag until it was mentioned, now I can't not see it!

brrnd Thank you, Blooming bin bag .....I actually did not see it.....LOL....need new glasses :)

KernowChris, thank you, yes I cannot stop seeing the bin bag now .....LOL....;)

I dont care about the bin bag.....
It was in the frame when you clicked the shutter and therefore is valid. I think there is far to much expectation for perfection,when in reality, nothing ever is.

Street shot is on theme and I like it.

Hi Kathleen,
I'm a sucker for the brightly painted houses and shops and you've even managed to get the leading line to point to a subject (or two).
The Dandelion though is a very artistic shot :)

Hi everyone, just wanted to say thank you once again for all you kind words and CC.
I have got a little behind, but am not giving up. I have a bad back and shoulder which is effecting my arm so I'm not getting any photography done at all. Hopefully it will get better soon.

Cheers

Kath

Hi Kath, I've no idea how I've missed your thread up to now but possibly due to my various catch-ups. I've found you now so just looked through from the start and have picked out my favourites so far, and I'll aim to keep up to date now :)

Your desert rose images for Mineral are fascinating as I've never seen one of those before, and the black one works best for me as it provides a nice contrast against the warm tones of the subject itself. The second image for Structure is another good 'un for the composition and strong leading line, and using a tape measure for Numbers was a good idea. It contrasts well with the black background, and my choice would be the first one as I like the wiggly lines it makes.

Two lovely images for Attractive, with the second one edging it for me because of the light tones and texture of the falling water, and the first one for Power because of the strong blue colours in the flames. Excellent close-up (y) The colours and reflections in Vivid are striking - I prefer the first one as the other is a bit too busy - and the Dandelion clock is an unusual take on Architecture and works well with those close-up details of the structure of the head.

I've really enjoyed your thread and I'm sorry to hear about your bad back but hopefully you'll be back with us soon.

Large... urgh... pigeons!! and boy do they come out larging it...that evil eye too!!

Architecture.... is so good... i scrolled down and stopped dead... so much detail (y) (y)

Hi Kath, I've no idea how I've missed your thread up to now but possibly due to my various catch-ups. I've found you now so just looked through from the start and have picked out my favourites so far, and I'll aim to keep up to date now :)

Manxmaid and Samuel thank you so much for your kind words they are very much appreciated :ty:

Third one for me, some people will do anything to get out of doing the dishes

Not bad, just one breakage after 26 years! And great photos too, if I had to choose one it would be #3. :)

Back