LC2's Many Many Fine Shoehorns in 2017 :Week 52 - Weather ** COMPLETED **

Love the wagon Tim - the Whole of it, very characterful. Excellent bg and DoF. Structure #1 for me - those electro-mechanical signalling systems and towers have always grabbed my interest. Perfect choice.

Mineral, nicely taken and a clever idea, like the contrasting background.
I like your whole, nice angle and there is a whole load of nothing in it.
Structure, 2 nice photos, prefer the train with the railings though.

whole, like the vibrant colour on the truck Tim, now for structure, both nice, #1 nice lighting on the signals, but I would go #2, like the look through the railings idea, the low angle and the water tower behind. It works well.
Cheers Michael, those were my thoughts too, a more intertesting photo (albeit more of a shoe horn).

Five Structures I count in the #2. So it has to be #2 for me, like the old train behind the railings, plus the water tower,trees and house :)
The houses are a bit of a pain tbh, far too modern. What it really needs is 1950's slum high rises. ;)

Love the wagon Tim - the Whole of it, very characterful. Excellent bg and DoF. Structure #1 for me - those electro-mechanical signalling systems and towers have always grabbed my interest. Perfect choice.
They aren't electro mechanical (though I suppose the lamps are electric these days), the signals are purely mechanical, moved by rodding that stretches from teh signal box to the signal.
Interesting fact... The Green lens in signals was originally blue, as the oil lamp light was yellow...

Whole; like your thought processes behind the shot. :) Love the selective focusing with shallow depth of field.

(Infra)Structure; Like both shot but I think the first is more theme fitting.
Cheers

Mineral, nicely taken and a clever idea, like the contrasting background.
I like your whole, nice angle and there is a whole load of nothing in it.
Structure, 2 nice photos, prefer the train with the railings though.
Cheers Clive.

I'm not sure that anyone has picked up on the fact that "Whole" is a 12" to the foot gauge model :)
And it would appear in general concensus is with me on the Structure shot.

Week 8 - Routine

As the end of February rolls around, my Saturday night routine re-starts.
From February through to December I volunteer at our local (though not closest) Heritage Railway (The Watercress Line) working on their Real Ale Train.

This is a close up of the largest loco on the line being prepared for the evening duty.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 8 : Routine
by Tim White, on Flickr

It is a deliberate close crop to emphasise the size, majesty and power of the loco.
Hand held, so the iso was pushed a bit but I think it's come out okay.

Not sure on the crop, perhaps a view of the whole engine for people like me who don't really know too much about trains would be good,
I cant really tell how large it is as there is nothing else in the frame to compare it to

what is it you do on the train?

Hi Tim

I like the structure of the signal towers. And the compo of the other: engine through railings.

Ah! that's some Routine you have Tim ... would never have guessed you had an interest in trains :coat:. The crop certainly emphasises the heavy industrial engineering involved ... I like the inclusion of the bright blue sky to counterbalance the dark colours of the loco.

Routine shot is a very nice close up to show the beauty and power of this great steam trains, good angle :)
Thanks Dave.

Hi Tim

I like the structure of the signal towers. And the compo of the other: engine through railings.
Cheers David. Unfortunately the only signals close to that location are ground signals, so a combination of the two wasn't on.

Ah! that's some Routine you have Tim ... would never have guessed you had an interest in trains :coat:. The crop certainly emphasises the heavy industrial engineering involved ... I like the inclusion of the bright blue sky to counterbalance the dark colours of the loco.
We run 34 evenings a year Carl, I don't do all of them, maybe 3/4s. It helps bring in the money needed to keep the railway running.
The sky wasn't that blue, it was a fair bit darker, i recovered the shot about 1 stop.

Not sure on the crop, perhaps a view of the whole engine for people like me who don't really know too much about trains would be good,
I cant really tell how large it is as there is nothing else in the frame to compare it to

what is it you do on the train?

This was the original image Allan.

BR Std 9F - 92212
by Tim White, on Flickr
For perspective, that is one of the crew completely under the running plate near the firebox (there are many places they have to add oil to routinely).

I'm one of the (normally 5-6) bar staff on the train. We have around 300 customers onboard for just over 3 hours, in which time we'll serve close to 1100 pints of Real Ale & Cider).
We change 15 barrels a night which involves getting them out from under the counter and hefting them on top of it before tapping them. The at the end of the night we have to clear and clean the train in about 25 minutes while it runs back to the stabling point, lock up and go home...

It's more fun than it sounds ;)

Not sure which I prefer ... the cropped is a powerful in-yer-face image but some of the yellow sign is missing. The uncropped tells more of a story.

Not sure which I prefer ... the cropped is a powerful in-yer-face image but some of the yellow sign is missing. The uncropped tells more of a story.
It was a creative choice to crop into the headboard (like cropping into the top of peoples heads during portrait shoots).
The idea was to create an in your face image of size & power.

Whether it worked or not, I guess I'll find out from the comments :)

working on their Real Ale Train
;) sounds like a tough gig, real ale and steam trains :beer:

I think I would have tried to get the whole of the yellow sign in on the first, I do like the twilight feel of the second.

Hi Tim

Catching up with comments

Mineral - hmm as you say a PABD image I would of liked to have seen some coal or stone in the truck. I like the composition though.

Whole - Now that's defiantly a shoehorn @Cobra would be proud of. I like the DoF and angle you've used. Some nice details in the wagon.

Structure - Now I like both of them both colourful images that fit the theme well.

Routine - Again I like both of the images the close up has a really impact bu the full image is very dramatic love the lighting and smoke/steam

Wonderful locomotive there. I'd like to see all the plate, thing :)...ahh, just seen the repost.

Repost for me. It has a real nostalgic feel and including the train worker really adds to the Routine.

Cheers.

You've got the SVR at Kidderminster, which is about 25 miles from Walsall, or the GCR at Loughborough, at about 45 miles, or this lot
http://www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk/?monthID=3&yearID=2017#ttable at 18 miles...

I'm about 45 miles from the Mid Hants...

Ah ha nice work thanks for that! Chasewater Brownhills is just 15 minutes up the road from me, tentatively pencilling my next free weekend to take a trip up there to see if I can try my hand at snapping some steam beasts @BlueHaze will be oh-so pleased :LOL:

Reactions: LC2
I really like the second image of the full loco and the chap included for scale. the first didn't really tell me anything about the engine or the routine, and possibly it was a little too black at the front. However, the second one is fabulous, a dark sky, smoke, steam, colours, movement. whats not to love?

I can see what you are trying to achieve shooting through the railings but they are acting more like a barrier to the rest of the scene, maybe an UWA lens could have helped if you had one. I like the idea, it just need a tweak in angle /composition.

(y)

Hi Tim ... I seem to be behind with your thread ...
that's a smashing shot for Whole, the bright red of the wagon and the focus work together perfectly.
Difficult to choose for Structure, I think the signal is more a traditional interpretation of the theme, but those bright green railings are very eye catching, especially with the super shiny train behind them.
Whole ...eeeek another difficult choice, I love the close up, it gives off such a huge feeling of power and size, but the second one is so appealing with the steam and the man, probably for the theme I should choose that one.

Love the editing on the wagon - that red is full of warmth and nostalgia.
A real ale train? My interest in railways might have just skyrocketed :beer::D I agree with Dood that the wider shot tells more of a story.

Last edited:
A real ale train? My interest in railways might just skyrocketed :beer::D I agree with Dood that the wider shot tells more of a story.
If you have a look on http://www.watercressline.co.uk/ you'll find details. I started going down there a bit over 10 years ago for :beer:, and after a few years, got collared to help out, which I've been doing for 5 or 6 years now. You can't beat £2 a pint!!! combined with 40 miles of steam through the Hampshire countryside.

I guess the wider shot shows the routine of preparing the loco, whereas my original intention was to highlight my Saturday night routine, cropping to give the yellow headboard added focus/impact.

Ah ha nice work thanks for that! Chasewater Brownhills is just 15 minutes up the road from me, tentatively pencilling my next free weekend to take a trip up there to see if I can try my hand at snapping some steam beasts @BlueHaze will be oh-so pleased :LOL:
:) Another convert!!!

I really like the second image of the full loco and the chap included for scale. the first didn't really tell me anything about the engine or the routine, and possibly it was a little too black at the front. However, the second one is fabulous, a dark sky, smoke, steam, colours, movement. whats not to love?
The second shot is getting more love than the first, just goes to show how hard it is to judge what people would like.
I must say I was quite happy with the image, the high iso giving it that gritty look.

I can see what you are trying to achieve shooting through the railings but they are acting more like a barrier to the rest of the scene, maybe an UWA lens could have helped if you had one. I like the idea, it just need a tweak in angle /composition.

(y)
My widest lens are 17-50 on the crop and 24-70 on the FF. I'm not sure that any shallow angle through the railings would avoid the merging of the railings into one at distance.

Hi Tim ... I seem to be behind with your thread ...
that's a smashing shot for Whole, the bright red of the wagon and the focus work together perfectly.
Difficult to choose for Structure, I think the signal is more a traditional interpretation of the theme, but those bright green railings are very eye catching, especially with the super shiny train behind them.
Whole ...eeeek another difficult choice, I love the close up, it gives off such a huge feeling of power and size, but the second one is so appealing with the steam and the man, probably for the theme I should choose that one.
I was 3 pages behind on everyone's threads until I got my head down and started commenting last Friday!
Looks like Routine #2 is winning out then.

#1 for structure Tim got a certain grit to it, #2 rails are too distracting. Want to make a double act for routine on the Real Ale Train, nice take.
Structure #2 will grow on you...
You're more than welcome to come along and observe / join in my Saturday Evening routine ;) There is enough beer for everyone.

Some familiar subjects there, Tim.

My favourites are certainly the second shot for Structure (less on topic but far more pleasing to the eye and I really like the perspective) and Routine (the close crop works for me and stands up really well despite the crop and higher ISO).

Cheers

Ian

Some familiar subjects there, Tim.

My favourites are certainly the second shot for Structure (less on topic but far more pleasing to the eye and I really like the perspective) and Routine (the close crop works for me and stands up really well despite the crop and higher ISO).

Cheers

Ian
Cheers Ian
Yes, the second structure shot grew on me and ended up being my choice too and finally, someone who likes my deliberate routine crop :)

Week 9 : Numbers

I was hoping for weather other than mist and drizzle after travelling for 5 hours to get this shot, but hey ho, it wasn't to be.

Week 9 is brought to you by the Letters I C and the Numbers 1, 2 & 5

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 9 : Numbers (Intercity 125)
by Tim White, on Flickr

Okay, so there are closer places I can get this angle (though not the cliff), but I fancied a stroll along the sea wall and hadn't been to Dawlish before.

Routine, real ale train, now that's a habit I could get into! Nice photo as well! Real ale train mmmmmmmm:beer:

Numbers, I take it you like trains!(got my perceptive head on) Great shot but in comparison to steam there is nothing that could make a HS 125 look interesting.

Top train shot .... it's the low POV that makes it. (y)

Great composition, low PoV works great, and some nice contrasting colours.

Numbers, not a bad shot at all Tim. The sun will sun come out for us all though :)
Not that day it wouldn't!

Nice train shot for numbers, some nice contrasting colours there.
I was refering to the fact that it's an HST 125, not to the TOPS number on the side, though I guess it also counts.

Like the composition there Tim although the weather leaves a lot to be desired :p

Lots of numbers too (y)
The POV is the reason for the 400mile round trip.
The weather is often much worse, whilst the waves were breaking over the lower wall, often you get the waves breaking over the top wall and onto the track / trains.

Routine, real ale train, now that's a habit I could get into! Nice photo as well! Real ale train mmmmmmmm:beer:

Numbers, I take it you like trains!(got my perceptive head on) Great shot but in comparison to steam there is nothing that could make a HS 125 look interesting.
We run 34 evening Real Ale Trains a year, as I work on a good number of them, I get to take plenty of photos there.
You're right about diesels not having as much presence as kettles, it could really do with a decent amount of clag, but it wasn't to be.

Top train shot .... it's the low POV that makes it. (y)
Great composition, low PoV works great, and some nice contrasting colours.
Agree nice point of view
David, Brrnd, Allan,
Yes, the PoV was what I was aiming for, hence the trip to Devon to that location.

Back