LC2's Many Many (More) Fine Shoehorns in 2018 : Week 52 - Showcase [2018 Complete]

Week 45 - Mark(ed)

I have a couple of themes to catch up on, but still very busy as a result of 9 days of conventions in the past 8 weeks (about 3000 photos to review, edit, post) so this might be a bit of a shoehorn.

The arrow on his forehead must be a marking of some kind (I don't know what character he's cosplaying).

Technically, the photo isn't perfect if you pixel peep, but at normal / web viewing distances I feel it works and I absolutely love the expression

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 45 : Mark(ed). Norwich Anime and Gaming Con
by Tim White, on Flickr

Excellent really like it, he reminds me of a lot of my mates when I was young!

He's certainbly marked! Nice shot of him too!

For something shot at a convention the light on the guys face is really good, it works well.

Excellent really like it, he reminds me of a lot of my mates when I was young!
LOL, I don't think any of my biker mates were that extreme when we were younger.
He's certainbly marked! Nice shot of him too!
I loved the action pose. It was taken with him moving towards me, rather than completely staged.
I like it a lot and the arrow definitely makes its mark. Love the boken too.
:)
Now that is a damn good shot, imo you nailed it and like Stan I love the bokeh too plus the marked arrow.
Mark

This way up, maybe.
It works well, i like the background colours and bits expression.
No sign of a shoehorn here for me - the marking on his face definitely meets the brief and I love his expression and the 'in yer face' style. The background bokeh is the icing on the cake; it's a top image (y)
The style was what I was trying for :)
Great strong portrait there Tim and the bg sets it off nicely.
the light was a bit of a mare actually. Glad I had flash with me.
Excellent shot for marked can only agree with everyone above
For something shot at a convention the light on the guys face is really good, it works well.
Diffused flash to overpower the ambient. They would have been rubbish, high ISO, slow shutter speed, purple images otherwise.

Nicely isolated, to be honest it has a certain charm to it I find the home made costumes a bit hit and miss sometimes, but I do admire their dedication.

Shoehorn or not, I like it so nice shot. Just going through your Flickr and IMO you have taken some outstanding images Tim so a big thumbs up to you, you might of just missed focus on a couple but the ones I did like you totally nailed the shots 100%.
I do like Kensington Olympia for the natural light you get (though a bit limited this tome of year), I quite like his take on Deadpool. Ref having some shots that aren't 100% tack sharp on my Flickr. Yes, there definitely are some. Generally in lower light, where the Fuji isn't at it's best, but my fault for missing the focus generally. However, the cosplayers love to be able to see the shots, and no one seems to care if I've got the nose rather than the eye (except me I guess), but they are generally pleased to be able to see the images.

Nicely isolated, to be honest it has a certain charm to it I find the home made costumes a bit hit and miss sometimes, but I do admire their dedication.
A lot of cosplay is homemade, you just wouldn't realise it, it's often that good.
This one is more obviously homemade, but that said, absolutely recognisable.

Lost
Good pose, I like that the head is at a slight angle.
A very Deadpool stance :)

Fits the theme for me but probably not in the way you were thinking.......................... the same Kakuhou, I'm out of here :exit:

Tim

Model, unusual and unexpected, on theme, spots have been noted.

Marked, Scary, on theme, good contrast and colours in the background. Good focus on the face.

Lost, I think he is. OOF background is enough. good light on the subject.

Monstrous, it's a strange world you live in, but nothing wrong with a bit of fantasy. Subjects stand out from the background just enough, interesting characters and costumes.

Pete

You must have been spoilt for choice :) but another good shot in that environment, works well for the theme

Fits the theme for me but probably not in the way you were thinking.......................... the same Kakuhou, I'm out of here :exit:
I knew it wasn't going to be your thing Allan.
Tim

Model, unusual and unexpected, on theme, spots have been noted.

Marked, Scary, on theme, good contrast and colours in the background. Good focus on the face.

Lost, I think he is. OOF background is enough. good light on the subject.

Monstrous, it's a strange world you live in, but nothing wrong with a bit of fantasy. Subjects stand out from the background just enough, interesting characters and costumes.

Pete
Normal People Scare Me.
I had a count back through teh year and we managed 23 days of conventions at 15 different events this year. Must try harder next year.
I like your take on theme Tim, good clean and sharp plus nice colours.
The colours are nice and strong, aren't they. Fill flash used to intensify them :)
Admittedly I know nothing about the world of cosplay, but what a cool interpretation of the theme!
Pin sharp details and great colours.
Those red eyes!....[**shivers**]....scary and indeed monstrous!!
If I'm not shoe horning trains into the themes, this year I've been shoe horning cosplay :)
You must have been spoilt for choice :) but another good shot in that environment, works well for the theme
I think my other choice for the theme would have been:

Scarecrow & Nurse (Sally Smithson) - Dead By Daylight
by Tim White, on Flickr
To be fair, most of the cosplays don't count as evil / monstrous. Tokyo Ghoul does though :)

Week 48 - Balanced

You'll have to forgive me this one, I didn't find anything that inspired me, so...
Harley Quinn balanced on one leg in a dystopian scene.
Lit deliberately from a single harsh source to pick Harley out, whilst also putting a little light on the toppled tanker in the background.
Violet split toning and framing added, just because.

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 48 : Balanced
by Tim White, on Flickr

I like the continuation of your cosplay theme in this, could have done with a a tad more DoF, I didn't know what was in the background until I read the description, but the light and split toning works for the scene I think.

It's all good - nice bit o'Lego :)

I like the continuation of your cosplay theme in this, could have done with a a tad more DoF, I didn't know what was in the background until I read the description, but the light and split toning works for the scene I think.
My version of blue buckets ;)
I did try for more DoF, but didn't have the room to get much further back, and the light isn't actually that strong, so the f/stop needed to be quite low.
It's all good - nice bit o'Lego :)
Ta Dave.
Lego balance, what a blast from the past this stuff is. Cool shot for the theme.
I don't think we've had much lego this year.
you are just trying to annoy me now :bat:
-=lalalala=- ;) :exit:

Balance
The light works well and the background does give an added dimension.

Nicely lit and inventive - I like the hard light and strong shadow, great mood.(y)
Thanks Gareth. I think I got the feel I was going for :)
Balance
The light works well and the background does give an added dimension.
Indeed, without something in the background, it would have been bland. I went for the crashed truck to give it a dystopian feel.

Week 49 : Crush(ed)

And this, children, is why we don't play on the railway. (Or go line-side unless we are allowed there).

DSCF9364-2-2.jpg

No Trains, Cosplayers, Harley Quinns or Lego blocks were harmed in the making of this image!

Another good continuation of your cosplay theme and nicely staged for the crushed theme. What gauge is the train?

Cheers Chris. No more conventions this year, so unlikely to be much more cosplay until Feb, unless there is a compelling theme.
The train is O Gauge (1:43.5 or 7mm/foot). It's Tri-ang Rovex "Big Big Train" Hymek dating from the late 60s/early 70s.

Hahaha! What? No orange hi-vis?

Back