weekly Lorraine's 52 in 2015 - Week 24 Spiral Added

wow Lorraine, didn't know you were from the Toon! I miss the place and it's stuff like this that I miss, such an ancient beautiful quirky city <3

PS tis a wonderful shot of the vampire bunny, I know how hard it is to get :clap:

Hi Lorraine :)

Limit - Sorry, not getting me at all this one, could be lit better or at a different angle or a distance shot with narrow DoF picking out the sign - Box ticked though theme wise :)

Bizarre - Wow now that is a scary figure, much preferring the edit with the un-clipped claws and lighting (y)

Really good shot and totally fits the theme! Haven't heard of the vampire rabbit before.

Thanks Michalene :) I don't think many people know about him, he's tucked away behind the cathedral

What a great find for this challenging theme, Lorraine - well done :)

Thanks Andrea :) these last few themes have been a bit of a challlenge haven't they?

vampire rabbit lol ... sans goofy front teeth, and lots of colour and light where it's needed. (y)

Thanks David :) the colour's fairly recent - apparently he was just grey stone for a long while

wow Lorraine, didn't know you were from the Toon! I miss the place and it's stuff like this that I miss, such an ancient beautiful quirky city <3

PS tis a wonderful shot of the vampire bunny, I know how hard it is to get :clap:

Hi Summer - yes, I'm a Newcastle girl (well, I was when I was younger :LOL:, and thanks. I did get a bit of a crick in my neck trying to get a shot that was sharp(ish) ;)

Hi Lorraine :)

Limit - Sorry, not getting me at all this one, could be lit better or at a different angle or a distance shot with narrow DoF picking out the sign - Box ticked though theme wise :)

Bizarre - Wow now that is a scary figure, much preferring the edit with the un-clipped claws and lighting (y)

Hi DK - thanks for stopping by.

The limit shot is a bit so-so, I was really struggling for ideas, I'm just glad I managed to get something in :). Somehow I don't think this'll be one of my re-shoot choices ;)

Glad you like the bunny :), I was quite surprised the second one worked as well as it did, it needed a lot of cropping :)

Think I prefer the second edit Lorraine, so I can appreciate the fully the viciousness of the Killer Vampire Rabbit. It stems back to when Newcastle was in the hands of the Scottish. King Henry II, took back the Earldom of Northumbria and the Scots King, William the Lion was imprisoned in Newcastle in 1174, after being captured at the battle of Alnwick. It was during this imprisonment that King William was said to have been attacked by the Killer Vampire Rabbit of Newcastle. This was the first documented account. During the Middle Ages several accounts of witchcraft named the Vampire Rabbit of Newcastle as being a result of sorcery, and several witches and wizards were burnt at the stake for summoning it upon people held in captivity. Witches and wizards were also burnt at the stake for "Stealing the souls" of the towns people, this dark art was practised using a black box called a Cam-Myrah, and it was said to steal the soul of the person it was pointed at. Some people referred to this black box as a Cannon or alternatively a name taken from its use, "Nik-con" (His Soul). I think this practice still carries on today in hidden magic circles, best not discussed here!

Nice Shot, well spotted(y)

Last edited:
Think I prefer the second edit Lorraine, so I can appreciate the fully the viciousness of the Killer Vampire Rabbit. It stems back to when Newcastle was in the hands of the Scottish. King Henry II, took back the Earldom of Northumbria and the Scots King, William the Lion was imprisoned in Newcastle in 1174, after being captured at the battle of Alnwick. It was during this imprisonment that King William was said to have been attacked by the Killer Vampire Rabbit of Newcastle. This was the first documented account. During the Middle Ages several accounts of witchcraft named the Vampire Rabbit of Newcastle as being a result of sorcery, and several witches and wizards were burnt at the stake for summoning it upon people held in captivity. Witches and wizards were also burnt at the stake for "Stealing the souls" of the towns people, this dark art was practised using a black box called a Cam-Myrah, and it was said to steal the soul of the person it was pointed at. Some people referred to this black box as a Cannon or alternatively a name taken from its use, "Nik-con" (His Soul). I think this practice still carries on today in hidden magic circles, best not discussed here!

Nice Shot, well spotted(y)

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :clap:

thanks for this Steve. It sounds like I had a lucky escape getting this photo. I came away with my soles intact - just a little wobble on one heel. I've heard many a tale about the dangers of being lured by the cannons so I've given them a wide berth - I thought I was ok with a Nik -con though, but I have noticed that it seems to be draining the life force from my bank account :help:

ps - I now feel a bit dim - I'd never heard of the battle of Alnwick, I need to brush up on my local history!

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :clap:

thanks for this Steve. It sounds like I had a lucky escape getting this photo. I came away with my soles intact - just a little wobble on one heel. I've heard many a tale about the dangers of being lured by the cannons so I've given them a wide berth - I thought I was ok with a Nik -con though, but I have noticed that it seems to be draining the life force from my bank account :help:

ps - I now feel a bit dim - I'd never heard of the battle of Alnwick, I need to brush up on my local history!

Yes those Vampire Rabbits fly off those ledges very quickly you know!:ROFLMAO: Wobbly heels not a good sign that, I tried them once, very difficult to walk in, prefer wedge heels myself:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I think there's possibly not a lot of difference between the two I guess, (note my polite streak ;)) I find as the Nik-con equipment in my office rises so my bank balance goes down, so must be inversely proportional. Just to make sure that that theory is correct, I'll try an experiment, I have my eyes on a new body:eek::eek::clap: Piggy bank is gonna take a hit toward the end of the year:rolleyes:.
Battle of Alnwick, was when the Scottish started getting stroppy again :eek::)

I think he's sweet, if a little bizarre! :)

Yes those Vampire Rabbits fly off those ledges very quickly you know!:ROFLMAO: Wobbly heels not a good sign that, I tried them once, very difficult to walk in, prefer wedge heels myself:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I think there's possibly not a lot of difference between the two I guess, (note my polite streak ;)) I find as the Nik-con equipment in my office rises so my bank balance goes down, so must be inversely proportional. Just to make sure that that theory is correct, I'll try an experiment, I have my eyes on a new body:eek::eek::clap: Piggy bank is gonna take a hit toward the end of the year:rolleyes:.
Battle of Alnwick, was when the Scottish started getting stroppy again :eek::)

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I know I won't be the only one that does this. I tried to do the shot against a plain background. The wall is sort of duck egg blue, but I couldn't get it to look right in any of the shots I tried - it just looked a bit washed out I did try with just one egg at first, but when I looked at them on the laptop they were pretty rubbish.

The second shot looks a bit washed out, but the background is closer to the real colour of the wall

View attachment 38523 View attachment 38524 Week 22 - broken

Thanks for looking - any comments/crit welcome :)

Last edited:
Hi Lorraine ... Broken ... good idea well done! Not sure which of the two I think's best ... I like the low POV and reflection of #2, I like the deeper colour of the shells and the egginess of #1. :clap:o_O

Great idea - prefer No. 1; the black surface gives a nicer contrast. I particularly like that you can see inside the broken shell.

Really good idea Lorraine - I like the first one best. Nice and sharp shot too and contrasts well against the darker surface.

Hi Lorraine. Simple and very theme fitting for this week. Of the two I think the second shot just edges it. Clearer and sharper reflections with the right amount of overspill egg white. Two small minus points are just a little bit more 'dead' space at the top and bottom for my liking and the stamps on the eggs.

Hi Lorraine,

Both images have good points: No1- I like the position of the broken egg outside the shell and being able to see inside the broken shell. No2- I like the reflections on the surface and i think I prefer the overall colouring of the whole shot.

Hi Lorraine ... Broken ... good idea well done! Not sure which of the two I think's best ... I like the low POV and reflection of #2, I like the deeper colour of the shells and the egginess of #1. :clap:o_O

Thanks David :)

Great idea - prefer No. 1; the black surface gives a nicer contrast. I particularly like that you can see inside the broken shell.

Thanks Carl :)

Really good idea Lorraine - I like the first one best. Nice and sharp shot too and contrasts well against the darker surface.

Thanks michalene :)

Hi Lorraine. Simple and very theme fitting for this week. Of the two I think the second shot just edges it. Clearer and sharper reflections with the right amount of overspill egg white. Two small minus points are just a little bit more 'dead' space at the top and bottom for my liking and the stamps on the eggs.

thanks Stan :) I was tryiing to balance the image into thirds - hence the space at the top & bottom. Looking again at #2, I think a squarer crop might have worked better, #1's a bit rickier because I wanted to leave all of the white in and it ran away pretty fast!

Hi Lorraine,

Both images have good points: No1- I like the position of the broken egg outside the shell and being able to see inside the broken shell. No2- I like the reflections on the surface and i think I prefer the overall colouring of the whole shot.

Thanks Mandy - I agree with your comments about the square crop on #2, I'll see what it looks like :)

Hi Lorraine,
Limit - I'm struggling with this one too. Good capture, but I feel that you needed to capture a wider shot and then edit the trapezoid shape out in PP. A good example of what can be captured with the basic camera on a phone.
Bizarre - Vampire Rabbit indeed, I'm looking around for Tim the Enchanter to warn us about the long pointy teeth. I prefer the exposure on the first shot you posted.

Hi, nice reflection and good overall detail, just the front shell a little OOF. I'd prefer a fully dark BG.

It's obviously on theme but lacks something, maybe a little motion blur from when the eggs fell and hot the surface :thinking:

Cheers.

Hi Lorraine
Yes its number 2 for me, and the cropped version is nice... Great reflection and like that the yoke is just protruding out of the shell and like the detailed speckles on the egg on the left. Nicely lit too! I think on balance the crop is the better one(y)

Hi Lorraine,

Good idea for the theme! I like being able to see inside the egg shell in the first image and the dark reflective surface, but overall I prefer the viewpoint, tones and mirrored reflections of the second image. I think the edit improves the balance of it, and you've ended up with a lovely shot.

Hi Lorraine,
Limit - I'm struggling with this one too. Good capture, but I feel that you needed to capture a wider shot and then edit the trapezoid shape out in PP. A good example of what can be captured with the basic camera on a phone.
Bizarre - Vampire Rabbit indeed, I'm looking around for Tim the Enchanter to warn us about the long pointy teeth. I prefer the exposure on the first shot you posted.

Hi Tim thanks for stopping by and commenting :)

Hi, nice reflection and good overall detail, just the front shell a little OOF. I'd prefer a fully dark BG.

It's obviously on theme but lacks something, maybe a little motion blur from when the eggs fell and hot the surface :thinking:

Cheers.

Thanks Andy :), I did do a shot of one egg at first, catching the white as it escaped - it doesn't half move fast though - a couple of shots and it was everywhere :LOL: - maybe what it lacked was a bit of bacon? :D

Hi Lorraine
Yes its number 2 for me, and the cropped version is nice... Great reflection and like that the yoke is just protruding out of the shell and like the detailed speckles on the egg on the left. Nicely lit too! I think on balance the crop is the better one(y)

Thanks Steve - and I'm chuffed you like the light on the second one - I've got some nice light with the speedlight at last - woo hoo :banana: I can go outside with the camera again now

Hi Lorraine,

Good idea for the theme! I like being able to see inside the egg shell in the first image and the dark reflective surface, but overall I prefer the viewpoint, tones and mirrored reflections of the second image. I think the edit improves the balance of it, and you've ended up with a lovely shot.

Thanks Andrea, I'm really pleased you like it :)

Hi, cropped version is the better of the three, but I quite like the first one too with the yolk fully out

You'll have to tell me the secret of using the speed light then!;)
Well done any how:clap:

Hi, cropped version is the better of the three, but I quite like the first one too with the yolk fully out

Thanks Allan :)

You'll have to tell me the secret of using the speed light then!;)
Well done any how:clap:

There's nowt to it really - I just pressed a few random buttons and bingo! :D of course, I'll never be able to repeat the feat, but heigh ho ;)

I have 2 speed lights a Nikon SB600 and recently someone was selling a little used Nikon SB 900 for a song so got that too.... The 900 I think I need to revisit my HND to understand! I did do the push a few random buttons routine and it flashed:)

Now just need to use it with the camera :banana:

Hi Lorraine

Bizarre - Absolutely spot on for the theme and I think the second one with a bit more light and no clipped toenails is the better shot.
Broken - Initially, I thought the second shot did look a little pale next to the warmer tones of the first one, but then when I saw the cropped version on its own further down the page, it looks perfectly fine without the other one to compare it against and a much better composition too with the reflections (y)

I have 2 speed lights a Nikon SB600 and recently someone was selling a little used Nikon SB 900 for a song so got that too.... The 900 I think I need to revisit my HND to understand! I did do the push a few random buttons routine and it flashed:)

Now just need to use it with the camera :banana:

that sounds dangerously like a multi-tasking mission to me :exit:

Hi Lorraine

Bizarre - Absolutely spot on for the theme and I think the second one with a bit more light and no clipped toenails is the better shot.
Broken - Initially, I thought the second shot did look a little pale next to the warmer tones of the first one, but then when I saw the cropped version on its own further down the page, it looks perfectly fine without the other one to compare it against and a much better composition too with the reflections (y)

Hi Elaine, thanks for stopping by & commenting. It's amazing that a picture can look so much different when it's not side by side with another image, but I agree with what you say. It's completely different as a stand alone :)

Week 23 - Entertain

Well, this was harder than I thought it would be. Nothing much caught my eye and I grabbed this shot in the Station last Wednesday thinking I might come up with something better....but I didn't, it's another grab shot. There's a fair bit wrong with this...the background isn't good, it's soft because I'm rubbish at using my camera phone.... but I think it fits the theme if nowt else :). anyhoo, thanks for looking

View attachment 39645

I was going to say a combination of 1 and 2 would be good, the fg of 1 and bg of 2 lol but the cropped version is much better :clap:

sorry didn't see entertain :p it would actually do well for bizarre as it looks so odd with them all suited and booted and with vending machines behind them :D lovely shot :clap:

Hi, not perfect focus wise but very fitting for the theme, would also fit bizarre, not something you see everyday

Good for you - I found this theme quite hard to source. Wondered about that dark line stretching from the cellist's chair leg - is that an anchoring strap to stop movement of his instrument on the slippery floor?

I was going to say a combination of 1 and 2 would be good, the fg of 1 and bg of 2 lol but the cropped version is much better :clap:

sorry didn't see entertain :p it would actually do well for bizarre as it looks so odd with them all suited and booted and with vending machines behind them :D lovely shot :clap:

Thanks Summer :) it was a bit odd - not what you'd expect to find in the central station at 7:30am, they must have been keen. They ere being filmed, but I'm not sure what for

Hi, not perfect focus wise but very fitting for the theme, would also fit bizarre, not something you see everyday

Hi Allan - thanks for commenting. I know the focus is well off. I think I need to keep my little pas handy at all times, the camera on my phone is probably very capable, if it's in a steady pair of hands :LOL:

Good for you - I found this theme quite hard to source. Wondered about that dark line stretching from the cellist's chair leg - is that an anchoring strap to stop movement of his instrument on the slippery floor?

Thanks Carl :)- I think most of the recent themes have been a bit tough - they always sound ok, until I try to find the image :LOL:. I hadn't noticed the black strap until you mentioned it, but I think you must be right - - it stops the instrument skidding away on the marble floor

Back