weekly Mandy's 2019 TP-52 Challenge Week 6 and Week 7 themes added

I was watching, hmm Kelby One I think, and apparently it is now an acceptable thing to replace skies. Who Knew?
Bang on for the theme Mandy,
I wonder if there is a mono conversion in the image that would remove the flat look to the sky. Worth a play maybe?

Such a beautiful looking building Mandy, very nicely taken image and just a shame about the sky.
Yes it was a bit of a dull day, but I am thankful that it stayed dry.
Yeah that sky! But on theme out in the open. Looks like a place to visit!!
I agree shame about the dull looking sky.
Skies can be a pain cant they, but its a fabulous photo of the house and land Mandy, definitely fits the theme.
Thank you for the comments and as for the sky just a pain, wasnt sure what I wanted to do in pp to enhance it.
I was watching, hmm Kelby One I think, and apparently it is now an acceptable thing to replace skies. Who Knew?
Bang on for the theme Mandy,
I wonder if there is a mono conversion in the image that would remove the flat look to the sky. Worth a play maybe?
Thanks I may have a play with the Image later in the week.

Beautiful, pin sharp details and the greens really leap out.
I like how there are no people in the shot too....adds to the open feel.
Very nicely composed, and the two nearest trees frame the house well.
They sure knew how to build big, posh houses back then!!:D

Beautiful, pin sharp details and the greens really leap out.
I like how there are no people in the shot too....adds to the open feel.
Very nicely composed, and the two nearest trees frame the house well.
They sure knew how to build big, posh houses back then!!:D
Yes they sure did, it was very quiet but the odd person that was out I removed in my pp work, thanks for your nice comments.

Never heard of the place - and it's now on the list! Nicely shot.

Hi Mandy, What a great looking house. Certainly fits the theme, lots of lovely details in the building. Just scrolling up and the sky disappeared behind the title banner and it struck me that you could have gone for a letterbox style crop and lost most of the sky.:D

lovely capture very nice and just unfortunate about the sky.
Never heard of the place - and it's now on the list! Nicely shot.
Great image of a beautiful building, it's massive isn't it! Well taken and fitting for the theme :)
Hi Mandy, What a great looking house. Certainly fits the theme, lots of lovely details in the building. Just scrolling up and the sky disappeared behind the title banner and it struck me that you could have gone for a letterbox style crop and lost most of the sky.:D
Thanks for the comments and for taking the time to look and comment.

Today I went to visit Tyntesfield which is a Victorian revival Gothic house near Wraxall, the site was a former 16th century hunting lodge until the early 19th century when a Georgian mansion was built in the 1830's which was bought by English Businessman William Gibb. There place is beautiful and has some lovely formal gardens and park land, when walking round the gardens I came across some nice planters and I thought they would be good for this weeks theme. So the idea for the image was to have one pot sharp in focus at the front and then the rest fading into the "distance"

Week 4 planters fading into the "Distance"
Tyntesfield (30) by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

Mandy, Open Dyrham House is great. Been there myself many times. In fact actually worked on the property. Think I agree with Tim might be a good one for a mono conversion.

Distant, really like this ! What’s not to !

Open: Lovely view of Dyrham and you certainly get a good feel of open space.

Distant: Wow quick image. Fits the theme well and good use of depth of field to emphasise the distance of the furthest away pot.Shame there is not more colour in the trees, but alas it is that time of the year.

Planters fading into the distance along with the colours… nice idea. They may have had plants in them in the past , too.

Catching up, didn't realise I hadn't stopped by....

New-good shot, nice colours, bang on theme. Good start to this year's 52!
Clean-nice take on the theme, though could perhaps do with a bit more light and contrast
Open-nice image, but others have commented on the sky. I have a little trick I use on skies like that, might be worth trying. I use a graduated white balance filter, and push the whole towards the blue, which, when it works, replaces dull grey or white skies with a nice blue sky.

Whoops, missed out Distance-nice use of dof, gives a real sense of distance. Another dull sky, isn't this time of year a pain sometimes?

Last edited:
Great use of perspective, spot on for the theme!
I like the way you use depth of field to blur the farthest planters...but not too much, so that the detail isn't lost.
It would have been tempting to open up the aperture to accentuate the distance more, but you wisely resisted!
(Actually...I probably would have done this....and likely messed it up!!):giggle:
Great image Mandy!(y)

A lovely bit of dofness :clap:

Hi Mandy, you've posted two images since my last visit! Open is a good idea for that theme with the lovely open countryside and a very attractive location too, and I liked the image for Distant when I saw it on Flickr yesterday but didn't realise until now that it was for this theme. The perspective and use of depth of field work very well to convey the sense of scale with the planters fading into the background, and I like the coloured leaves in the very foreground (y)

Hi Mandy,

Trying to catch up on comments. You've made a very good start.

New - The shiny new heli really pops from the background. Makes me want to dig mine out and fly them again (y)
Clean - Perfect for the theme and works well in mono. I like the shallow DoF and the focus is spot on the end of the bristles.
Open - What a lovely setting. The photo if nicely exposed for the house and foreground. It's a shame that the sky didn't play ball for you.
Distant - I really like this. The focus on the first planter is spot on and the way the rest fade into the distance as you says works perfectly.

Open - Lovely building, I like the slightly muted colours of the winter landscape, a letterbox crop to the horizon might work to crop out the sky but keep the best bits
Distant - I like the Dof lovely detail on the front urn great image

Last edited:
Hi Mandy

clean
Like the black and white, composition looks good, needs a bit of a lift exposure wise.
Open
Looked at visiting here before, not got round to it yet, a very nice image, shame about the sky, but that can't be helped on dull day, b+w may work.
Distant
Tyntesfield is a very nice place, visited once last year, would certainly like to go back. The planters certainly make a great subject. I like it.

Mandy, Open Dyrham House is great. Been there myself many times. In fact actually worked on the property. Think I agree with Tim might be a good one for a mono conversion.

Distant, really like this ! What’s not to !
Open: Lovely view of Dyrham and you certainly get a good feel of open space.

Distant: Wow quick image. Fits the theme well and good use of depth of field to emphasise the distance of the furthest away pot.Shame there is not more colour in the trees, but alas it is that time of the year.
Planters fading into the distance along with the colours… nice idea. They may have had plants in them in the past , too.
Works well Mandy, the planters lead your eye across the image.
Catching up, didn't realise I hadn't stopped by....

New-good shot, nice colours, bang on theme. Good start to this year's 52!
Clean-nice take on the theme, though could perhaps do with a bit more light and contrast
Open-nice image, but others have commented on the sky. I have a little trick I use on skies like that, might be worth trying. I use a graduated white balance filter, and push the whole towards the blue, which, when it works, replaces dull grey or white skies with a nice blue sky.
Whoops, missed out Distance-nice use of dof, gives a real sense of distance. Another dull sky, isn't this time of year a pain sometimes?
I think everyone's suffering with the washed out skies Mandy, bu you've really nailed the perspective on that one, perfect for the theme.
Well spotted, Mandy. Nice view angle and just the right amount of dof
Great use of perspective, spot on for the theme!
I like the way you use depth of field to blur the farthest planters...but not too much, so that the detail isn't lost.
It would have been tempting to open up the aperture to accentuate the distance more, but you wisely resisted!
(Actually...I probably would have done this....and likely messed it up!!):giggle:
Great image Mandy!(y)
A lovely bit of dofness :clap:
New - lovely shot with great colours. Nicely framed.
Clean - good conversion, a little dark maybe
Open - really good composition and exposure
Distant - clever use of the planters.

So far so good Mandy
Hi Mandy, you've posted two images since my last visit! Open is a good idea for that theme with the lovely open countryside and a very attractive location too, and I liked the image for Distant when I saw it on Flickr yesterday but didn't realise until now that it was for this theme. The perspective and use of depth of field work very well to convey the sense of scale with the planters fading into the background, and I like the coloured leaves in the very foreground (y)
I like this. Well done for getting out Good DOF taking us back in and through the frame
Hi Mandy,

Trying to catch up on comments. You've made a very good start.

New - The shiny new heli really pops from the background. Makes me want to dig mine out and fly them again (y)
Clean - Perfect for the theme and works well in mono. I like the shallow DoF and the focus is spot on the end of the bristles.
Open - What a lovely setting. The photo if nicely exposed for the house and foreground. It's a shame that the sky didn't play ball for you.
Distant - I really like this. The focus on the first planter is spot on and the way the rest fade into the distance as you says works perfectly.
Distant is a very good image of the planters, great dof and leading the viewer right in too.
very good take on it the pots fading off into the distance works brilliantly.
Open - Lovely building, I like the slightly muted colours of the winter landscape, a letterbox crop to the horizon might work to crop out the sky but keep the best bits
Distant - I like the Dof lovely detail on the front urn great image
Hi Mandy

clean
Like the black and white, composition looks good, needs a bit of a lift exposure wise.
Open
Looked at visiting here before, not got round to it yet, a very nice image, shame about the sky, but that can't be helped on dull day, b+w may work.
Distant
Tyntesfield is a very nice place, visited once last year, would certainly like to go back. The planters certainly make a great subject. I like it.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look and comment.

Well it would seem the weeks are flying past and we are onto week 5 already, I wasn't able to get out to get my image until today, while we still had some snow left as most of it has melted away. I was lucky enough to find plenty while I was out for a drive in the countryside, apologies for yet another boring dull sky but chose a different crop to attempt to loose most of it.

Week 5 "Cold" Snow

cold (2) by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

Hi Mandy the crop and the tree suit the image really well, I think the blank sky makes it work well in mono and definitely gives you a cold feeling

Very nice image Mandy!
The tree is perfect and the wide crop really works well - a wise choice of composition.
The white (featureless) sky actually works for me....not sure why, I just rather like it, I think your crop really works well.
I think because I have the default white background on the TP site, the sky almost appears as if it's not there....makes it more unusual for me!
Nice work Mandy!(y)

The featureless sky i don't mind at all, but the snowy ground for me looks odd, like blown highlights. Composition is very nice, tree well positioned.

Well worth looking at this image on flickr to see all the detail it has. Fits the theme well.

Back