weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2017 - Week 51 & 52 Festive & Weather added (and COMPLETE!)

Love the choice of gorse for vivid and the way you've filled the frame with it Andrea (y)

Thanks, Emma :)

Very vivid gorse and a great shot of the train full steam ahead as it were

Thank you, Allan, it certainly was pulling hard out of the station :)

That's another smasher of the train and the smoke Andrea, I agree about the gorse it's been stunning this year.

Thanks, Susie. Yes, the gorse is very colourful; I hope the heather is as good later in the year!

Love the Smoke train shot with an unusual head-on view angle.

Very Vivid yellow for the theme. Like the idea of filling the whole frame with just the Gorse.

Thanks, Stan, I've been wanting to try this angle for the trains for a while and it worked well.

lovely bright yellow in the Gorse shot and I agree with the comments that it was a good choice to fill the shot with it.

Thanks, Steve, it seems to have been the right decision to use that image :)

16 (b) - Smoke (2)

As noted above, on reflection I wasn't happy with the colour in the original image (link) so I've re-worked it to give it some more punch. I think due to the contrasty scene and all the tiny details in the leafy trees and bushes it's bordering on HDR now, which is something I avoid, so it's a candidate for the next 're-shoot' :banghead:

16 Smoke
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like that, there's a nice leading line coming from the track and you've managed to get the train off center. :)

Hi Andrea,

Smoke - Well, you know I'm going to vote this shot up :) great little loco and plenty of exhaust.
Oooh, the re-post of the shot does have more impact...
Vivid - Very vivid yellow, I kind of wish there was something blue/purple to contrast it, the greens merge in.

Like that smoke one Andrea, a lovely shot :)

Thanks, Dave, I'd still like another go at it but I'm pleased with that tall column of smoke :)

I like that, there's a nice leading line coming from the track and you've managed to get the train off center. :)

Thanks Dominic. I chose that location for the line and position of the engine (y)

That's a cute little train with a lot of smoke!

Thank you, Bernd :)

Hi Andrea,

Smoke - Well, you know I'm going to vote this shot up :) great little loco and plenty of exhaust.
Oooh, the re-post of the shot does have more impact...
Vivid - Very vivid yellow, I kind of wish there was something blue/purple to contrast it, the greens merge in.

Thanks, Tim. I did try a few angles using the sea as a backdrop as I thought the blue and yellow would contrast beautifully, but decided on this one as it seemed to have the greatest impact for 'vivd'.

18 Large

Once again I had an idea for a theme that has taken a while to get to the location in the right weather. Yesterday the weather was perfect and I had the opportunity to make the looooong journey north to the Laxey Wheel. Well, the island is only 33 miles long and Laxey is about 20 miles away so it's all relative :D

Anyone who has visited the Isle of Man will probably recognise the 'Lady Isabella', which is the LARGEst working water wheel in the world. Built in 1854 to pump water from the Laxey mines, the wheel has a 72-foot-6-inch (22.1 m) diameter, is 6 feet (1.8 m) wide and revolves at approximately three revolutions per minute. On a day like yesterday the red and white of the wheel and housing contrasted with the gorgeous blue sky, and I chose this angle to give a sense of the sheer size of the structure rising above me.

18 Large

Last edited:
That's a beauty of a water wheel. Lovely colors against the blue sky. Nice one.

Thanks, Chris. It was worth the wait for a sky like that :)

Large, well that is a cracking shot Andrea. Lovely and beautiful colours and it goes well against the lovely blue sky, like the little clouds too (y)(y)

Thanks, Dave, it was the perfect day for it.

19 Architecture

This is a shot I have always wanted to take but have never made the effort to get to the other end of the island when the tide is out, so this theme gave me the incentive to do so. The pier is semi-derelict and has been closed to the public for 26 years, but from underneath it is a fascinating wood and metal construction with lots of angles and textures.

I took quite a few shots and you may see a few more over the next few days, but this angle seems to suit the theme best, with all the precise details of the wooden boards above and the metal support poles. Monochrome seemed the obvious choice for processing too, with all that texture.

19 Architecture

Last edited:
Hi Andrea,
Large - I knew that was the Laxy Wheel (didn't know it's real name) as soon as I saw it in the main thread.
You waited for the right light and it's paid of :) :) :)

Architecture - That seems to be quite a tall Pier, how high does the tide get?
You've done a really good job capturing the detail (y)

Large is a great shot, brilliant colours. I wonder if it would work even better had you taken it dead centre, facing the stairs straight on.

Architecture - great sharpness throughout, great light and B&W works very well. Nothing to criticise!

Architecture, what a great shot, that water/wet sand on the rhs really helps to show the reflection.

Architecture, really do like this shot Andrea and think it goes beautifully in mono. Like that it`s showing the underneath nice and clear, the wet sand and the shadows go great together :)

Thanks, Dave. I think mono brings out the textures best, although I should try a couple in colour at some stage as there was seaweed and lots of rust and barnacles so a few strong colours too. I agree about the wet sand; it was a bonus I noticed afterwards as I was occupied with trying not to get my feet too wet at the time :eek:

Hi Andrea,
Large - I knew that was the Laxy Wheel (didn't know it's real name) as soon as I saw it in the main thread.
You waited for the right light and it's paid of :) :) :)

Architecture - That seems to be quite a tall Pier, how high does the tide get?
You've done a really good job capturing the detail (y)

Thanks, Tim, it was a lovely afternoon to visit the wheel, and it is an icon of the island. Yes, it is a tall pier, with 10 metres clearance at the beach end, and at high tide the sea is right up to the sea wall so there's no way to walk under the pier. I don't know about the actual tides up there but I've just checked and the table says high tide has been between 4.5 and 5 metres this week, so about halfway up the columns at the beach end, I guess.

Large is a great shot, brilliant colours. I wonder if it would work even better had you taken it dead centre, facing the stairs straight on.

Architecture - great sharpness throughout, great light and B&W works very well. Nothing to criticise!

Thanks, Bernd, I know what you mean about the angle but I think I'd got as far towards centre as I could for that one. There was a corner and a wall with a lane directly behind it that isn't open to the public :( Glad you like the pier (y)

Architecture, what a great shot, that water/wet sand on the rhs really helps to show the reflection.

Thank you, Dominic, I must confess I didn't realise at the time how effective that wet sand would be, as I was paddling through it :LOL:

Excellent work for architecture great view and the black and white conversion is spot on

I agree, good central view point, well detailed and a nice mono conversion, good job

HI there Andrea

I thought I'd said something about your smokey train but no. A beaut, with all that smoke in the trees, catching the engine head on with the carriages around the bend ... 10/10 for compo. (y)

Large ... it is ... lovely colour too. Like @brrnd I'm wondering if dead centre would improve things but I see that wasn't possible.

back to dead centre with your Architecture shot, nice one. And I like the detail up top.

HI there Andrea

I thought I'd said something about your smokey train but no. A beaut, with all that smoke in the trees, catching the engine head on with the carriages around the bend ... 10/10 for compo. (y)

Large ... it is ... lovely colour too. Like @brrnd I'm wondering if dead centre would improve things but I see that wasn't possible.

back to dead centre with your Architecture shot, nice one. And I like the detail up top.

Thanks, David, I did a similar-ish image of an engine and train for Above, so that might be what you're remembering. Glad you like the composition, it's an angle I've meant to try for a while.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that was as close as I could get to central from that side of the wheel as there was a closed lane where I wanted to be, but no such problem under the pier, as long as I was prepared to stand in puddles of sea water :D Thanks again.

20 Broken

20 Broken by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I went out for a walk around the local harbour to look specifically for subjects for this topic, and although I took several different images, this is the one that keeps drawing me back. It's a piece of metal pole at the end of the old harbour wall that has clearly seen many years of sea water and broke away some years ago. I think it's the red rust and the texture that I like best.

Doesn't get much more broken than that, love the rust colour and nice sharp details.

Three fantastic shots since I last visited Andrea- the colours of the wheel are stunning as you say against the blue sky and I love the textures you've captured in the pole and the use of dof to separate it from the backgound...rust is so photogenic isn't it?!
My favourite has to be the pier though - perfect symmetry, great reflections in the wet sand and the conversion helps put the emphasis on the structure, rather than the sea or sand.

Yes, I think that's it in a nutshell. The colour against the grey background, and the study in detail. (y)

The rust really does make this shot a cracker imo. Nice composition and I also like how the rust has got in to the concrete while the old broken rusty pole split and falling apart, goes bang on with the grey too (y)

Thanks, both. My second favourite option was a derelict building that I've used before, and it makes a nice black and white image, but I preferred the colours and textures in this. The signs of years of salty air and decay!

Three fantastic shots since I last visited Andrea- the colours of the wheel are stunning as you say against the blue sky and I love the textures you've captured in the pole and the use of dof to separate it from the backgound...rust is so photogenic isn't it?!
My favourite has to be the pier though - perfect symmetry, great reflections in the wet sand and the conversion helps put the emphasis on the structure, rather than the sea or sand.

Thanks very much, Emma :) Yes, I was drawn by the colours in the first two, but the pier was always going to be about the form and textures. I can see a few return visits being in order now I've finally sussed out the location and tide times (y)

Love the colours and textures in Broken, but I would have preferred the post to be more vertical in the frame.

Back