weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2019 - 19 & 20 DECAY & FREE WEEK added

Great to have a village named after you :D Young is a great and lovely image of the young lambs playing, they are so funny to watch when they are this young.

Thanks, Dave - the village is at the other end of the island to me but perhaps I should visit more often :D You're right, they were great to watch - just a shame all the lambs I found that day were all at the far end of their fields but the 100-400 brought these ones closer.

Lovely shot for Young Andrea. I like the way the heads get lower as I look left to right and capturing the first one in mid air is just great. Perfect!

Thanks Lee! I hadn't noticed that about their heads so I can't claim any credit but I was chuffed to get one in mid-leap as I'd missed it a couple of times earlier.

Really well caught excellent picture of the lambs all perfectly in line too

Thanks, Allan, I did like the way they were all lined up :)

That's a great lamb picture, just the right depth, plus the bigger lamb being airborn!

Thanks Mark, it took a few efforts to get a group and an image I was really happy with, but it was fun watching them :)

Who doesn't love a field full of lambs. Cracking images. I love the way the one on the left is frolicking

Thanks Ian :) I know, he's very cute and looking at this image a couple of weeks later it still makes me smile.

Just soo nice Andrea, just how young lambs should be ! Full of the joys of spring

Thanks Chris, it was lovely to watch them being so carefree.

Happy little lambies, what's not to like. Well captured Andrea (y)

Thank you, Carl :)

Free - Very nice seascape. Colours are really nice and you've capture how rough it is. The sea is probably my favourite thing to take photos of.
Entrance - What a nice red door. Stands out nicely against the stone walls.
Young - Very nice, Like that you've managed to capture them playing and that all their heads line up diagonally as well.

Very good Andrea!

Thank you for the catch-up, Dom - your comments are much appreciated and I agree, I am always drawn to the sea too, so lucky to live where we do ;)

Love the little lambs - crisp and caught expertly in motion. Well done!

Thank you, Joan, I was chuffed to finally get one leaping like this as they were moving around so quickly!

Week 13 - Food

13 Food by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

This definitely won't be on my list of favourites from this year's 52 and I freely admit it was a 'placeholder' while I hoped to get something better, but as I'm trying to get up to date again this is my Food image for now. It will be top of the list for a re-shoot if I have time.

The light was dull, I'm annoyed that the houses and the huge power station chimney have sneaked in at the back, and my only excuse is that I had to kneel in the middle of the road to get this so couldn't hang about. What I do like about it is the striking red and white colours and the bright signs all over the walls that leave you in no doubt about what they do and sell. It is a quite famous business on the island and they ship their traditionally smoked products all over the place.

Week 14 - Smooth + Technique SOOC

14 Smooth + SOOC by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Smoothing the waves at the seaside with a long exposure is something I have been meaning to try for a long time and this theme was a good excuse, but I was also drawn to this spot by the shiny, smooth rocks left behind as the tide receded. I was itching to try to do something about the highlights at the top of the frame but here it is - SOOC apart from a resize!

A superb set of images Andrea!(y)
Young: Goodness, what a fantastic capture....well timed and so full of joy! Indeed, the one in the air is perfectly captured and really lifts this already super image!
Food: I like this image - it's an unusual, striking colour scheme that you've captured very well, and there is some nice light on the leftward facing sides to give some nice depth.
Smooth: Great image, especially for SOOC! There's quite a few million years of wear on those rocks for sure....they're fascinating! The upper highlights certainly don't detract from the image.
Excellent!:clap:

A superb set of images Andrea!(y)
Young: Goodness, what a fantastic capture....well timed and so full of joy! Indeed, the one in the air is perfectly captured and really lifts this already super image!
Food: I like this image - it's an unusual, striking colour scheme that you've captured very well, and there is some nice light on the leftward facing sides to give some nice depth.
Smooth: Great image, especially for SOOC! There's quite a few million years of wear on those rocks for sure....they're fascinating! The upper highlights certainly don't detract from the image.
Excellent!:clap:

Gareth, thank you very much for your comments - as ever, you are very kind and positive :) I liked the light and texture of those rocks too and I will be going back do them more justice. I'm looking forward to catching up with you and seeing what you have been up to in your thread!

Week 15 - Above

15 Above
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

My final catch-up image for now! I was enjoying the fresh spring colours of new leaves and Bluebells in a local glen and the camera had been busy, and then - as often happens - right at the end of the walk I spotted this little shoot halfway up a mossy tree trunk.

I loved the way the light was catching it so duly scrabbled around in the dirt to try to get just the right angle for the light and composition, and opted for shallow DOF to highlight the lone shoot. I also love the different green tones and textures in the canopy and the moss.

Last edited:
Excellent shot Andrea, love the angle!
Is the shoot a different species of plant?
I'm ashamed to admit that I know very little about plants, but if it is indeed a different species, it's amazing how it's found a home there.
Lovely image though, and I especially like the use of DoF to accentuate the shoot.
The textures in moss is always fascinating to me, and again your use of DoF has yielded some great details.
(y)

Andrea, as I know it’s a heck of a task to catch up after a week or so, well done !
Smooth is fab, I too would love to have a go at the long exposure with water.
Above, just love trees ! I’m not a hugger but am always fascinated by the textures, canopy, colours. Nice find with the side shoot

Excellent shot Andrea, love the angle!
Is the shoot a different species of plant?
I'm ashamed to admit that I know very little about plants, but if it is indeed a different species, it's amazing how it's found a home there.
Lovely image though, and I especially like the use of DoF to accentuate the shoot.
The textures in moss is always fascinating to me, and again your use of DoF has yielded some great details.
(y)

Hi Gareth, I can't remember what type of tree this is but I'm pretty sure the shoot is a little fern that has lodged in the moss quite firmly and set up base there!

I agree about the texture of moss, and the light here was a gift as it was angled in from the side. Just looking at it again now I wish the focus was slightly further forward as it has dropped off quite quickly but it's just about right.

Andrea, as I know it’s a heck of a task to catch up after a week or so, well done !
Smooth is fab, I too would love to have a go at the long exposure with water.
Above, just love trees ! I’m not a hugger but am always fascinated by the textures, canopy, colours. Nice find with the side shoot

Thanks, Chris, you have done brilliantly with your catch-up and I'm hoping to get up to date over the weekend. Smooth has whetted my appetite to do some more of those type of images, and I agree about trees - I love being around them and the light was lovely in this spot.

Nice catch up and I really like smooth and up.

Thank you, Clive :)

Well, it has to be said that your catch up images are all excellent. You've a great eye for composition, and detail. I really like all of these (I also love Manx Kippers!) nicy done.

Some great shots to catch up!!
I particularly like YOUNG - very well-timed shot and perfect, as you say, for the theme, and FOOD - well-composed, and the colours and angles look superb.

Very very nice set Andrea used that Samyang on any?

Thank you, Mark, I'm almost up to date again! None of these are with the Samyang but two of my favourites from last year were taken with it, and they have both done well in my club competitions too. It's a nice lens - time to take it out again :)

Well, it has to be said that your catch up images are all excellent. You've a great eye for composition, and detail. I really like all of these (I also love Manx Kippers!) nicy done.

Thanks very much for your lovely comments, Jim. Glad you like them - and Manx kippers, too :)

Some great shots to catch up!!
I particularly like YOUNG - very well-timed shot and perfect, as you say, for the theme, and FOOD - well-composed, and the colours and angles look superb.

Thanks, Bob. Food was the one I liked least of these recent images but it is growing on me. Young is definitely my favourite :)

Nice catch up, love the rocks and the tree shot particularly, great angle on the tree. They do like a bit of red paint in the kipper house not a fan of kippers though but I think it’s a reasonable shot for food.

Food, I really do like. It's a very unique place and the picture tells that story to me.

Smooth - that's a lovely image too. Lovely sharpness throughout the image bringing out the wonderful rock details, and even better, for sooc - very nicely done

Above - there's something really mesmerising about this image. You see the small leaf and branch, but you also try and look beyond, but you just can't :) Great foreground detail, nice and sharp

Good catch up so far Andrea, liking the smooth rocks from the years of water flowing over them. Above is a good shot and nice main focus on the fern growing out of the tree.

Thank you, Dave, those are my favourites too of the recent ones. Trying very hard to get up to date!

Nice catch up, love the rocks and the tree shot particularly, great angle on the tree. They do like a bit of red paint in the kipper house not a fan of kippers though but I think it’s a reasonable shot for food.

Hi Allan, yes it's very red and stands out well on the quayside! Glad you like the others and I'm glad I spotted the tree just as we were finishing our walk.

Love the tree photo! Really cleverly done as it looks like a miniature scene of a tree growing in a grass field, but on the side of a tree. Awesome!

Thank you Carl, I hadn't thought of it that way but it does look a bit like that :)

Food, I really do like. It's a very unique place and the picture tells that story to me.

Smooth - that's a lovely image too. Lovely sharpness throughout the image bringing out the wonderful rock details, and even better, for sooc - very nicely done

Above - there's something really mesmerising about this image. You see the small leaf and branch, but you also try and look beyond, but you just can't :) Great foreground detail, nice and sharp

Thank you, Ian, very kind :) It must have looked funny as I scrabbled around trying to get the right angle on the tree but it seems to have worked! I will revisit those rocks and try some more long exposures there.

Week 16 - Hot

16 Hot by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Still trying hard to catch up! I thought I had one in the bag for this theme but it was a bit obscure so went for something straightforward today to keep the momentum going as I am away next week.

Week 17 - Light

17 Light

This is one I took last weekend and have picked above other options as I like the 'in yer face' close-up details of the headlight, the bright paintwork, and especially the blue bulb and reflector that looks a bit like the pupil of an eye.

I have reciprocated comments on my recent images and I think I have my Crowded image too, so I'm almost there and will hopefully start getting around the other threads in the next few days. I really am not going to fall behind again - it's just too hard to catch up!

Last edited:
Hot: really well taken, youy've captured the colours and heat really nicely and close up to avoid any distraction.
Light: another lovely image, I think the close crop really works well and as you say, the detail is captured very well. the colours really set this off.

Two great shots you have captured there, Andrea. Love the Hot burning fire with spot-on exposure and focus. The close-up idea works well too. :clap:

I think you said it all for the car headLight shot. Different shapes of the individual light, texture of the reflectors and the dash of blue just add interest to the shot.

Hot: really well taken, youy've captured the colours and heat really nicely and close up to avoid any distraction.
Light: another lovely image, I think the close crop really works well and as you say, the detail is captured very well. the colours really set this off.

Two great shots you have captured there, Andrea. Love the Hot burning fire with spot-on exposure and focus. The close-up idea works well too. :clap:

I think you said it all for the car headLight shot. Different shapes of the individual light, texture of the reflectors and the dash of blue just add interest to the shot.

Nearly caught up now Andrea ! Light is an interesting shot for sure. Nicely thought out !

Hot is a cracking shot Andrea, very well taken and the colours are beautiful.
Light plain simple and very nicely on theme, so two great shots.

I realy like your take on HOT - great colours and textures.
LIGHT - nice close up and a ton of detail

Thank you all for your comments. I liked the colours and textures in Hot, and although Light was an opportunist effort it ended up being my favourite option for that theme.

I have just discovered that the shot I thought I had in the bag for Crowded was taken the week before, but I'm off to that London tomorrow so a much better chance of finding a crowd there than on this little island! In the meantime I will catch up with some more threads :exit:

Hot
I'm liking the close up. There's so much detail, in what is essentially a simple shot.

Light
Another close up, you're right it's in your face.

Andrea,

Hot, love the colours of the burning wood. Nice Image.
Light, again good use of colour and fits the theme 100%

Both are nice and sharp and well exposed.

Pete

I love these two images from you Andrea!:clap:

Hot: Quite simply breathtaking! As has been said it's those colours and textures! Faultless!
(Hope you didn't melt your lens hood!;))
Light: Really like this one too, the close up works very well, and those subtle reflections are super. Fantastic!

Hot is a great image. Lovely foreground detail and warmth to this. Nice one

Light...... well, it is indeed one. Really interesting close up of all the different lines in the plastic, the bulbs etc, and good with the contrasting colour of the paintwork

Hi Andrea,
Just catching up on your last few photos. I must say they are cracking!
Food: Great take for the theme. Nice bold colours;
Smooth: Beautifully shot. Just the right shutter speed to soften the water. Lovely;
Above: Just when I think it can't get better you pull it out of the bag. Absolutely stunning shot :clap:
Hot: Another cracker. Perfect exposure.
Light: Clever take on the theme. Nice one :)

Hot
I'm liking the close up. There's so much detail, in what is essentially a simple shot.

Light
Another close up, you're right it's in your face.

Thanks Dominic, two simple shots to try to get up to date again but hopefully they have conveyed the themes :)

Andrea,

Hot, love the colours of the burning wood. Nice Image.
Light, again good use of colour and fits the theme 100%

Both are nice and sharp and well exposed.

Pete

Thanks, Pete, I was pleased with the colour and detail in the Hot image and the headlight was an impulse idea :)

I love these two images from you Andrea!:clap:

Hot: Quite simply breathtaking! As has been said it's those colours and textures! Faultless!
(Hope you didn't melt your lens hood!;))
Light: Really like this one too, the close up works very well, and those subtle reflections are super. Fantastic!

Thanks Gareth, the colours and textures in Hot were what I was aiming for after a little playing around with exposures. Light was just an impulse idea as I liked the little blue bulb/reflector that reminded me of the iris of an eye :)

Hot is a great image. Lovely foreground detail and warmth to this. Nice one

Light...... well, it is indeed one. Really interesting close up of all the different lines in the plastic, the bulbs etc, and good with the contrasting colour of the paintwork

Thanks, Ian - I was pleased with the final image for Hot, and Light is well, just as you said... :LOL:

Hi Andrea,
Just catching up on your last few photos. I must say they are cracking!
Food: Great take for the theme. Nice bold colours;
Smooth: Beautifully shot. Just the right shutter speed to soften the water. Lovely;
Above: Just when I think it can't get better you pull it out of the bag. Absolutely stunning shot :clap:
Hot: Another cracker. Perfect exposure.
Light: Clever take on the theme. Nice one :)

Thank you for looking back and commenting on those, Lee. Funny that I wasn't too happy with the idea for Food but it seems to work in its own right as a striking building. Glad you like Above and Hot as they're my favourites of those (y)

Week 18 - Crowd(ed)

18 Crowd

Just a snap really but I couldn't resist using it as I'll probably never be there again! We were in London for a few days and I have other crowded scenes but I really like the layers of people in this one, from the foreground as far as you can see, along with the colours and the sense of summer and relaxation.

I used my little Canon G1X because you're only allowed to take small cameras and it struggled a little with the bright sunshine and white jackets etc, but that's really down to operator error too :)

Having been away for five days it has taken me over a week to catch up with other stuff but I should be able to get my missing themes done this week. It's TT Races time here so there should be a Whole lotta people and events to see :)

Last edited:
Crowd: well, I hope you had a good day with Her Majesty! Nice image, great colours and looks very summery.

That looks very crowded and perfect for theme. Loads to look at throughout the image and great background.

Back